Is it Flash or is it me?

Kdansky

Re: Is it Flash or is it me?

Well' date=' if you are using Activation Roll in a non-standard fashion (for instance rolling for every attack in a Phase to see if Armor activates rather than just rolling the first time) it stands to reason that it would likely interact with Persistent in a non-standard fashion as well. I don't really see it as an omission in the rules that they don't cover what happens when you use a Limitation in a non-standard fashion.[/quote']

That use of the limitation is specifically provided for in the rules. It also simulates a reasonable, and even very common, construct which uses Activation. It seems reasonable to expect the rules to cover that.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That use of the limitation is specifically provided for in the rules. It also simulates a reasonable' date=' and even very common, construct which uses Activation. It seems reasonable to expect the rules to cover that.[/quote']

The rules of Activation Roll mention partial coverage armor, but make no mention of it working in any way different than the normal usage of Activation Roll. Which is to say you roll once per Phase to see if it is working that Phase. So given the way Activation Roll is written, it makes perfect sense that a Power with an Activation Roll can't really be Persistent. Just like it makes sense that if Activation Roll is being used in a non-standard fashion (i.e. in a way other than the way it is written) that it would not necessarily still be the case that it shouldn't apply to a Persistent Power.

That's what I was thinking. It doesn't make sense that "Always On" would be a limitation' date=' but the rules as written don't seem to have anything like that as an advantage, which it is in most cases - although - I'll have to see if you can make Regen into a constant power. That might work, if allowed. Thanks for bringing this up - I might otherwise have never looked at it this way.[/quote']

"Always On" is always a Limitation, although it's not always limiting (and therefore not always worth more than -0). It is never an advantage. For a Power to be bought Always On, it already has to be 0END and Persistent, which covers all that could be considered advantageous about an Always On Power. "Always On" removes your ability to turn off a power; it doesn't give you the ability to have it on when you normally couldn't (Persistent gives you that).

"Always On" is always a Limitation' date=' although it's not always limiting (and therefore not always worth more than -0). It is never an advantage. For a Power to be bought Always On, it already has to be 0END and Persistent, which covers all that could be considered advantageous about an Always On Power. "Always On" removes your ability to turn off a power; it doesn't give you the ability to have it on when you normally couldn't (Persistent gives you that).[/quote']

I had to reread that - I was still going by the idea that a persistent power had to be turned on first (in game), and then stayed on until the character turned it off. The way it is written doesn't quite say that, even if you can always say it has been turned on for years ("...since the radioactive lizard bit me...."). For some reason I always saw a power that did not have to be activated first as needing always on, even if it was at -0).

Nah. A Persistent power "defaults" to being on (I might allow a character to keep it off for extended periods between scenes, but it may cause complications in story and/or minor penalties associated with headaches, strain, etc.). The character can turn it off (unless Always On is present) in which case it stays off until he/she has a chance to reactivate it. Some other Powers (like Suppress) might also turn it off.

I think for Always On powers I'd make the character turn them back on at the first possible opportunity after a Suppress or whatever wore off. Whether a Persistent power would turn back on on its own when the character could normally do it but does not have an action and/or is not aware enough to (e.g. is unconscious) I think I would take on a case-by-case basis. Some powers with Always On I might even require to take Inherent, depending on the SFX and what the player really wants to get away with.

Anyhow, that's how I try to keep Always On limiting rather than an advantage in disguise.

• 3 years later...