What else is a classic trope ?

death tribble

Re: What else is a classic trope ?

I like the suggestions I am hearing but will fillet out some. The pic will be of a super or a vigilante so norms without major skills or equipment are out. Nick Fury types are in.

Thanks to Susano and Freakboy6117 particularly for sparking ideas.

I did? Sweet! :)

Vigilante types are going to be hard (IMO), as we have several fairly iconic ones already out there (Punisher and Vigilante for starters). Blue Knight has a great look, what with the apparently holographic skull under his riot helmet.

Ohh.... here's a name for you -- "The Thin Blue Line," a police-theme vigilante. Dress him in old-school 30's beat cop gear -- long coat and the like, and you have a good replacement for the superhero cape.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well yes martial law or mccloud, Benton Fraiser in due south , The martian manhunter or Alien nation,sherlock holmes in the 22nd century etc.

Even Buck Rogers would work pretty well though he is more man in a world he didn't make he did do a lot of law enforcment/secret agent type duties

• Seemingly wrong genre trope: Bard, Druid, Swashbuckler
  • "I have wings!"
  • "I am Giant!"
  • "I am Tiny!"
  • "Swarms of X come to my aid!"
  • "I'm back from the dead in order to punish those who killed me!"
  • "I built this armor so that I, a normal human, could take on superhuman challenges!"
  • "I am the embodiment of light!"
  • "I am the embodiment of darkness!"
  • "I am your worst nightmare!"
  • "I am everyone's nemesis!"
  • "The longer you fight me, the stronger I become!"
  • "I cannot be defeated so long as I have X!"
  • "X bestowed these superpowers upon me -- and charged me to use them for good!"
  • "I see dead people."

a classic trope from tv cartoons the need of an incantation to use shapeshifting powers

examples bez the beast from the arabian knights and from the super-friends the wonder-twins

at least bez using an incantation makes sense as his powers are magical not scientific in nature as are apache chief's

a classic trope from tv cartoons the need of an incantation to use shapeshifting powers

examples bez the beast from the arabian knights and from the super-friends the wonder-twins

Let's not forget Apache Chief.

"Inyuk-chuk!"

The country-themed super-patriot.

Captain America, USAgent, Minuteman, and there's at least a couple British ones.

Captain Britain, Union Jack, and some others. I know there's been some Russian ones as well.

The handicapped/crippled man/woman who creates/repairs gadgets for the heroes.

Forge is the perfect example. But you can also extend this to the handicapped hero. Tony Stark at his start, Charles Xavier, Forge again, Oracle (Barbara Gordon), and others.

This is the collated list of tropes.

the Intelligent Ape;

a catgirl;

aquatic antihero/hero;

cowboy superhero;

rich brooding vigilante who is a martial artist;

brain in a jar/tank or free floating

The super marksman hero/villain (Hawkeye, Green Arrow, Bullseye, etc.)

The super-strong, nigh invulnerable hero/anti-hero (Superman/Hulk/Wonder Woman)

The super-fast hero (Flash, Quicksilver)

Alien is a classic Trope

Either the 'Funny ridges' or 'Antennae' type...usually very human otherwise, and wearing a silver jumpsuit

The wise-cracking hero. Spider-man, Blue Beetle, Jack-in-the-Box.

The monster as hero -- Beast, Night Crawler, Blue Devil, Living Nightmare, Hellhound, Rex of the First Family

The super-agent -- Nick Fury, Sarge Steel, Silver Agent, and so on.

The 'hero' who kills -- Vigilante, Wolverine, Punisher, Blue Knight

The Western hero with Asian roots -- Iron Fist (I can't think of any others right now, but the ninja craze resulted in many)

The android/robot/replicant hero -- Red Tornado, Human Torch I, Vision, Beautie, Metal Men, et al.

The mythological god turned superhero.

How about you go "superskrull"... have a villain with the powers and shared outward appearance of 4 heroes either from the CU or from the work you've commissioned so far

The Jungle lord/lady

the master of an ancient/exotic weapon(with a modern twist perhaps)

the machine searching for its humanity

the man thrown into a world he did not make

cop from a distant land using his native skills in the big city

The nigh-indestructible, ultra-powerful, super-genius master villain. Always escapes just after the heroes flee his invincible Deathtrap and spoils his Master Plan

Winged Character

Giant Hero/Villain

Small/shrinking hero/villain

Revenant

Hero/villain in high tech armour

"Swarms of X come to my aid!"

"I am the embodiment of light!"

"I am the embodiment of darkness!"

"I am your worst nightmare!"

"I am everyone's nemesis!"

"The longer you fight me, the stronger I become!"

"I cannot be defeated so long as I have X!"

"X bestowed these superpowers upon me -- and charged me to use them for good!"

"I see dead people."

The country-themed super-patriot.

Captain America, USAgent, Minuteman, and there's at least a couple British ones.

The handicapped/crippled man/woman who creates/repairs gadgets for the heroes or is a hero/villain

Shapeshifter

Beautiful female martial artist

We missed one ! All of us missed one !

Nazi !

And, indeed, Commie.

One of my favourite tropes is that heroes and villains from other countries are strongly themed to that country, while heroes and villains from the home country (usually America) usually aren't.

And, indeed, Commie.

One of my favourite tropes is that heroes and villains from other countries are strongly themed to that country, while heroes and villains from the home country (usually America) usually aren't.

Hmm.. Are parodies of this well-enough established to count as a trope? The only oneI can think of off-hand is "Le Beaver," the Canadian nationalist in powered armour who fought, of course, Howard the Duck. Although Batroc and Razorback became parodies....

Hmm.. Are parodies of this well-enough established to count as a trope? The only oneI can think of off-hand is "Le Beaver' date='" the Canadian nationalist in powered armour who fought, of course, Howard the Duck. Although Batroc and Razorback [i']became [/i]parodies....

IIRC, Black Widow (Natasha Romanova) started out as a stereotypical bad guy Commie. (And let's not get into how a good (ie: faithful) Communist would be highly unlikely to have the name Romanov.)

The Normal earth guy who is given alien technology to defend the Earth/Universe. (Green Lantern, Nova, Quasar)

The superhero mascot. (Rick Jones, Jimmy Olsen, Snapper Carr)

The philosophical concept made real. (Morpheus, Death)

The child transformed into a hero. (Prime, Rage, Captain Marvel)

The Reformed Villain. (Rogue, Gambit - he said with a grain of salt)