Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

Too bad I'm not a fan of futo maki....

From the article - In case you’re more of a sushi nigri style fan, Umewaka Restaurant has you covered. You’ll be offered an over-sized wooden platter full of jumbo goodies like Ikura, Tamago, Maguro, Octopus and Squid. The slab of Maguro alone is apparently big enough to make 40 regular-size portions of nishi-zushi. And just in case you lack a sense of proportion, the restaurant also offers customers a complementary mini-sushi plate that comes in a matchbox, which only makes their servings seem even bigger.

I thought I'd share what's for dinner tonight. It's unhealthy enough to warrant posting in this thread, and those of you who haven't spent time in Louisville might be unfamiliar with this classic dish:

Hot Brown

4 Tablespoons butter

4 Tablespoons flour

3 cups whole milk

salt and pepper to taste

1 pinch nutmeg

½ cup parmesan cheese (or a combination of parmesan and swiss)

¼ cup grated cheddar for top

6 pieces lightly toasted good quality white bread buttered on one side

white turkey meat, sliced (about 1 ½ lbs)

6-8 slices bacon, cooked, but slightly underdone

sliced tomato or halved cherry tomatoes

Melt butter on low heat, add flour and cook until flour is fully incorporated. Heat milk and add to butter/flour mixture. Bring to boil, stirring as sauce thickens. Add pepper, salt, and nutmeg. Remove from heat and add cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.

Place toast buttered side down on an ovenproof plate or platter. On the toast, place slices of white turkey meat and pour sauce over the turkey. Top with some bacon and with slice of tomato. Sprinkle lightly with cheese. Bake @450 degrees until slightly brown.

This is a famous Louisville dish. It is a good way to use leftover turkey. If you cut the bread, bacon, and turkey into small pieces (use halved cherry tomatoes) and arrange this in a casserole, it makes a good brunch dish or a light dinner for a crowd. Heat casserole at 375 until bubbly.

Not exactly a new item' date=' but it's a logical step even if you hadn't heard of it done before: http://voodoodoughnut.com/menu.php[/quote']

I feel weird being a lifelong Portlander who's never gone to Voodoo Doughnuts. But looking at the menu I didn't see anything that cried out and demanded that I eat it.

I'm somewhat more traditional with my donuts. I favor maple bars, for example. There was a seasonal doughnut at one of the shops I really enjoyed with coconut frosting and sprinkles and pineapple filling (real pineapples).

The Meat Monster (Burger King, Japan)

When most people want to put something on their burgers, they usually think of toppings like cheese, bacon, onions and tomatoes. The geniuses at Burger King put all of that on, then decided to throw on a chicken breast for good measure.

The result is the Meat Monster, a sandwich available at Burger King in Japan only. Perhaps the beast of a burger was meant to appeal to Japan's love of kaiju (monster) movies; in any case, we know it appeals to us. Bring this one stateside, Burger King.