Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

Tonight, I'm making chili ... cheap chili. My usual recipe is ...

1 can tomato soup

1 can bean with bacon soup

1 can chili no beans

Get all 3 cans as close to the same size as possible. Pour into saucepan, add 1 cup of water (optional: I frequently skip this). Add seasonings and spices as desired while heating.

Tonight, though, I'm experimenting, replacing the tomato soup with a can of cheddar cheese soup.

My fave traditional chile recipe (meat and chiles, all other ingredients optional) starts with (a suitable quantity of) ground beef and canned, diced green Ortega chiles, canned tomato sauce, canned tomato paste, Mexican-styled canned stewed tomatoes* and a cooking container suitable for stovetop and oven. Brown the meat, add the other ingredients and then bake it covered at 200 degrees for an hour or so. Check on it periodically. Good either as a thick stew (add a roux of flour mixed with butter or oil until it's a stiff paste - a piece the size of a hazelnut to the size of a walnut is necessary for the 4 quart amounts I used to cook, but YMMV, People also traditionally add cornmeal to thicken the gravy.

If you're from Texas**, and anyone is watching, you serve beans on the side, to be added by the guests per their tastes. Everyone else either adds beans or not, depending upon what it would be used for; bean-less for chili dogs, chili burgers and other hand foods, beans for everything else.

I like to use onion, garlic, basil and oregano to season with, but use what you like.

*One can of each. If you need more use more in similar quantities, keeping in mind that your own tastes should dictate what you want more or less of.

**Uncertain veracity. It was told to me by a Texan.

I recently tried a mozzarella buffalo chicken dip ... it was in the freezer section, Guy Fieri's brand. Just stick it in the microwave for 5 minutes, stir, and done. Quite good for how simple it was; I used plain tortilla chips to eat it with. It's rather mild for something buffalo-chickeny, but I suspect that's the cheese at work mellowing it out.

I recently tried a mozzarella buffalo chicken dip ... it was in the freezer section' date=' Guy Fieri's brand. Just stick it in the microwave for 5 minutes, stir, and done. Quite good for how simple it was; I used plain tortilla chips to eat it with. It's rather mild for something buffalo-chickeny, but I suspect that's the cheese at work mellowing it out.[/quote']

I usually don't care for Buffalo as a flavor but that doesn't sound half bad.

Presented for your approval

The Fat Sandy: chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, onion rings, two cheeseburgers, and fried potato wedges, slathered in macaroni and cheese.

manvfood-munchies420.jpg

The Super Fat Daddy: 6 burgers topped with cheese, French fries, Mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, Philly steak, mushrooms, onions and peppers, all smothered in a Cheddar cheese sauce

fatda.jpg

I remember those from Man Vs. Food. I'm not sure that I'd try them.

Well, I'm afraid I must disagree with him on his item #2 at the very least, since I've made it in the way he complains about (well, not with lobster because I don't care for lobster, but when he mentioned bacon or ham, that I've done and liked). But I never order mac&cheese at a restaurant.