Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

I made #11 the other day. Mix one box Jiffy corn muffin mix according to the directions, spread among 12 muffin cups. Cut hot dogs into thirds or quarters; insert pieces in center of muffin cups. Bake at 400ºF for 15-17 minutes. Incredibly easy, incredibly tasty, and much less greasy than most corn dogs you'd get anywhere else. Highly recommended. :thumbup:

This is a recipe for Rice Krispy Treats that my wife's family makes. They are unnaturally sweet and rich. If you are diabetic, you probably should stop reading now. Even the recipe is likely to cause an insulin spike.

Lady Pariah's Rice Krispy Treats

Melt 1 cup Karo light syrup and 1 cup sugar over medium heat. Boil together until no more sugar granules can be seen. Remove pot from stove and stir in 1 cup peanut butter. Mix thoroughly. Stir in 5-6 cups Rice Krispies, mix until coated. Press mixture into a buttered/greased 9" x 13" pan.

Melt 3/4 of a bag of milk chocolate chips; pour and spread over the Rice Krispy mixture. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Melt 3/4 of a bag of butterscotch chips; pour and spread over the chocolate layer. Cool until the chocolate and butterscotch layers have set. Cut into small squares and eat.

Enjoy . . . but . . . carefully . . . .

Printable Meat

Modern Meadow's vision of the future food sources of mankind goes beyond the old grow-a-steak-in-a-vat idea, by making use of the intrinsic capabilities of printing and printers. The biotech company describes it as "computer-controlled delivery of cells in three dimensions" in its submission to the US government's funding bodies.

The core idea is based around research on blood vessel transplants. While investigating growing organs at a previous bioprinting company, chief scientific officer Gabor Forgacs was drawn to work on growing replacement veins and arteries.

And it's the research with blood vessels in particular that has led to the breakthrough with print-out meat.

By layering cell pastes on a structure of filler material made of agar gel, Forgac believes he is able to create veins in the lab, which can then have muscle, fat and fibroblast cells layered on top of that, allowing the group to create artificial meat that is more steak and less burger.

I love fried chicken and wish I had the ability and tools to make a few pieces at a time at home. As it is I have to settle for Popeye's Spicy. (I have a hard time eating KFC's chicken with all the times I've eaten at Popeye's, which has a store close to my mental health clinic and another store a few blocks down from where I had my clerical training.) I know it's bad for me, but....

So we'e that much closer to star Trek replicators.

What sort of material do they need to make the stuff? You can't make something from nothing -- at least not yet.

B'Ellana Torres made a comment in an early episode of Voyager that a food replicator was a stupid thing to die for. Apparently she was so used to having them around that she had lost sight of how miraculous such super-technology is, especially to those who don't have it. It would be like the way we take television, moving pictures, and the Internet for granted in our time.

We ate at the Tilted Kilt while in Indy and aside from the creep factor (pretty high) it was surprisingly good food. Their "Irish Nachos" were the bomb.

The Mozerella Sticks are pretty good too (previously known as Micahel's Caines)...

Not sure how to interpret the "creep factor" commnet, but given my proclivities I'm sure it surprises no one that I go to the Kilt semi-regularly ;)

I had a cookout yesterday, did something I thought y'all might be interested in. My potato salad recipe calls for half a pound of bacon, but I cooked up a whole pound. I diced it before cooking, so ended up with a bowl of fresh bacon bits. Half went in with the potatoes, and I just mixed the other half in with the ground beef to make bacon burgers. Cheese was applied later. Yum.

The other interesting thing that came out of yesterday was me remembering to pick up some naan to go with chicken satay skewers. One step closer to my grilling trifecta project.

The potato salad I made was canonical. Potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, celery, pickles, mayo, mustard, black pepper. And rather than grill I made chili, since I had some nice fresh Hatch chiles I'd rendered the day before.