How To Severely Infuriate Both Mechanon And Your GM

Guest zarglif69

Guest zarglif69

Step 1: When you make a character, give it Radio Sense with Analyze and Transmit.

2: Fight Mechanon and defeat him. When his head seperates from his body, make a Perception roll against the self-destruct signal.

3: Next time you fight Mechanon, use Transmit to duplicate his self-destruct signal, and watch him BURN!!!!

4: repeat as desired, or until GM teleports you to center of the Earth or something.

Guest Keneton

Mechanon has a mind link for coded radio signals.

Mechanon has a huge sytems ops skill roll.

Mechanon will rebuild a hunt you down. . .

But Keneton is there to help you whoop his booty again!

:D

:D That is a great one zarglif69. When I read that I could not stop laughing. Of course the GM would be granting you your just deserts by placing you in the ninth level of hell after totally destroying the senerio that he has worked all those hours on. You now officially have the great respect of all the PCs here who have gone home with more that a bruse after fighting Mechanon and concidering themselves lucky to get out of there with their lives intact. I cannot wait to see what you will come up with next time. :cool:

Re: I'm not Mechanon, but...

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

If I had a 25 Intelligence, I'd probably change my Self-Destruct code and frequency after each use. :rolleyes:

Yep. This might work once. Then expect not only a different coded signal each time, but linked to a Flash vs Radio Reception.

Re: Re: I'm not Mechanon, but...

Originally posted by McCoy

Yep. This might work once. Then expect not only a different coded signal each time, but linked to a Flash vs Radio Reception.

Yes, but the once is worth it! :)

In fact, the real reason you will get away with it that one time is because you will amuse/astound the GM. A nasty GM won't let you do it, but a cool one will.

But only once.

It's a really good idea though. I LIKE it.

Alan

I thought Mechanon rebuilds himself each time with defenses that which destroyed him last? I perverted GM would make some sort of radio feedback that would give you a sonic blast if you used the same frequency again to try to activate the self-destruct. I'd also give him some hardened radio shielding (power or mental defense vs radio group) to help against that in the future.

Congrats though! I have taken my share of lumps from the robotic guy.

I think I should clarify my sentiment: zarglif69's idea is clever, imaginative, and highly appropriate and feasible in the superhero genre. And the denouement effect of blowing Mechanon's body to flinders in mid-tirade before he's even thrown his first plasma burst would be priceless.

But yes, this would work once at best. As his character description notes, Mechanon learns from past mistakes better than any other villain on Earth. And I wouldn't want to be the hero who pushed the boom-boom button when Mechanon shows up next time. :eek:

My wife and I had a conversation about this this morning, before she went to work. Yes we're both gamers, so there's some serious full frontal nerdity going on in this house. Anyways ... we postulated that the trick would work once. The second time, Mechanon would change the frequency/code ... and, as a point to the insignificant organics who would dare to match wits with him, have the old code/frequency be the trigger to a bomb attached to a nearby dam. So, now, do they save the city from a flood, or stop Mechanon?

Evil SOB. :)

One dose of reality here: even my automatic garage door opener changes it's signal code every time it's used. That kind of thing is pretty standard these days. Not that reality really needs to intrude in this. Frankly I think this kind of thing would be a wonderful plot device as has been pointed out above (CrosshairCollie's suggestion being exceedingly devilish and worthy of much praise).

Great idea, very creative, and as GM I'd certianly let it work once...

The funny thing is, one of my favorite characters from Golden Age Champions was "Radio Star" and I seriously thought of making a grandson of his as a super hero for a PC.

Now I have another reason to try it ;)

*shudders*

Out of all the forces available in the Champions Universe...the two I would least want to piss off would be Mechanon and The GM. But this is great.

Big props for creative use of a traditionally "non combat" power. Were I GM'ing it, I'd absolutely let it work once, even if it meant completely screwing up my plans for the session and having to improv the entire night.

Of course, if you don't already have it, you'd also earn Hunted: Mechanon....but hey....how many solo people can claim that feat, eh?

I do see one issue that hasn't been raised here - is it common CHARACTER knowledge that Mechanon uses radio signals to transmit a self-destruct signal? If not, how do you know to be looking for a frequency when Mechanon drops? If so, surely he would have taken precautions against this - he's got a 25 INT, as someone pointed out.

I suppose you could take a PER roll on the basis that there was a transmission (like a hearing roll because you may have heard SOMETHING) - some penalties may be appropriate on the basis the character, in the midst of battle with Mechanon, likely isn't scanning the radio channels, but you could still succeed. It shouldn't be any tougher than a sight PER roll to see that one agent slinking away during the fight, or the hearing roll to notice the guy coming up behind you. And you'd certainly have a reason to pay more attention next time, so this would delay the character at worst.

On the other hand, how much retribution would the character face if he did succeed? How does Mechanon even know WHICH annoying organic sent the radio signal? Same issue - he should get a PER roll, but likely with some penalties (aexacerbated by the fact he's not very perceptive to begin with once he's down)..

Now, that doesn't stop him going after the same group with a half dozen killer 'bots set to activate when that frequency goes off again, and annihilate the source. But would Mechanon bother with that, or just be comfortable in the knowledge that, when his latest plan succeeds and annihilates all organic life, whoever pulled that stunt with the radio will die like all the rest. Revenge seems a very emotional goal, after all.

Guest Keneton

ITS NOT BUILT THAT WAY!

Please read Mechanon and or Mechana (see DHnumber 12 and Champions page 204.) The transmission is not on the radio group and is not detectable by that sense. Sorry you cannot analyze it nor detect it. Enen the coded mind link is bought with invisible power effects.

The IDEA is cool enough that I might allow it for comic book feel, but technically, as I said before... You cant do it that way mechanically. Those are the rules.

:)

I will definately be using that little tidbit in my game. As far as it being known how Mechanon transmits his signal. that's easy. Just drop a few hints and let the players get lucky-make 'em feel like they outsmarted you. Come to the session prepared to be "defeated", let them do it and allow them to reap the rewards for the remainder of the session. It'll build morale, especially after they just got beaten within an inch of their lives the previous week by something new to them called an "8 team" (heheheheh).

Even though intelligence doesn't scale in quite the same geometric way strength does, 25 is still considerably more intelligent than average human.

The coded signal is probably complex. Even if you can "hear" it, it is likely to be perceived as gibberish. Unless you also have eidetic memory, you probably won't get it right the next time. And computers are relentlessly precise: if you don't get it *exactly right*, it will be ignored. Mechanically, this would involve significant minuses.

And that assumes that he's not smart enough to change it each time, as someone said. That's a basic precaution *I* would take, and I haven't got his brains!

It also assumes he's unaware of the character's ability to sense radio transmissions. Whether this is true or not depends on how much is known about his powers, and who knows it.

The idea gets points for originality, but if I didn't want a scenario to end that way, these are just a few of the completely plausible ways I could prevent it.

I might very well give the player of such a character an extra experience point for innovation, though. Sometimes good ideas don't work because the other guy had a better one, but that doesn't mean good ideas shouldn't be rewarded.

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

"Cool. He didn't blow up. Let's yank out his brains and use him as the headquarter's new maid."

His network of subprocessors (that run his body) probably exchange data with his brain using an encrypted protocol. That means that only his head can reliably communicate with his body. Worse, if someone attempts to communicate incorrectly, it might activate the self destruct device.

Given skill, time, and luck, you might crack it. Now, eventually that gets back to Mechanon. He already hates all organic life. And you've gone and humiliated him. Where do you think you'll go on his list? Since he's capable of hatred, we can assume he's capable of rage, anger, a desire for revenge...

Of course, you *could* reprogram his head, then reconnect it to make your maid bot. I'm sure that would be perfectly safe. :D

Originally posted by Balok

His network of subprocessors (that run his body) probably exchange data with his brain using an encrypted protocol. That means that only his head can reliably communicate with his body. Worse, if someone attempts to communicate incorrectly, it might activate the self destruct device.

Given skill, time, and luck, you might crack it. Now, eventually that gets back to Mechanon. He already hates all organic life. And you've gone and humiliated him. Where do you think you'll go on his list? Since he's capable of hatred, we can assume he's capable of rage, anger, a desire for revenge...

Of course, you *could* reprogram his head, then reconnect it to make your maid bot. I'm sure that would be perfectly safe. :D

Then again, maybe everything works fine...until "real mechanon" shows up and reasserts control over his old body. Thanks for giving mne Duplication for free!

Afer all, fighting just ONE was too easy, right? :eek:

Guest zarglif69
Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Then again, maybe everything works fine...until "real mechanon" shows up and reasserts control over his old body. Thanks for giving mne Duplication for free!

Afer all, fighting just ONE was too easy, right? :eek:

Hmmm... well, Mechanon, next to Dr. D, is just about the most egotistical thing on Earth. I don't think he could tolerate the sight of his own head on a maid-bot, he would probably incinerate the place into a smouldering crater.

For the same reason you can't just tell the satilites in orbit to use their thrusters to change position, or give you their data or unleash their nuclear payload there is no way you could do that to Mechanon. You would need a superpower hacking skill to even have a chance, otherwise it's like thinking Wolverine can do brain surgery because he has sharp claws.

Wolverine did do brain surgery on Sabertooth once.

In my campaign, Dr. Destroyer found one of Mechanon's bases. He figured out how it worked and how to reprogram him as his loyal subjects. Yes, I said subjects. He made an army of Mechanons. Each one was less powerful than the original so that the good doctor would not have to worry if they turned on him. He also had programmed in the self destruct code himself, so only someone who had level of int and computer skill and resources would be able to break it.