Shunamitism

BobGreenwade

I came across an interesting item the other day -- the occasional practice of Shunamitism. Strictly speaking, it's the practice of an older man sleeping chastely with a young woman so that warmth, moisture, and other vital energies can be transferred from the latter to the former.

(That the two don't have carnal relations is apparently part of the point here; in the story on which the idea is based, King David could probably have very well taken Abishag of Shunam as a concubine, but didn't. Presumably that would have spoiled the effect.)

In more recent centuries, apparently up until the early to middle 20th century, much was made of this idea, though the presence didn't have to be quite so close -- being in regular proximity to young women (or even girls in their mid to late teens) could bring about this rejuvenation. One researcher (in 1901) theorized that some aspect of the odor of young females is what brings about the effect.

There have been, at least as far as I'm aware, no studies done to determine if there's any actual biological basis for this. (And believe me, there could be; I'm constantly finding surprising things with actual scientific bases.)

The general thought is that the effect of Shunamitism is to slow or even halt the advance of aging, relieve stress, and bring up energy.

I'm wondering how people would write this up in Hero System game terms. I'm particularly thinking of the "makes one younger" aspect; a Transform to reduce one's Age bracket would be the obvious way, probably Healing Back Normally and with Partial Transform. But I'd like to see others' take on this as well.

Re: Shunamitism

Well, yes, I do mean it seriously.

But remember that, while it's divided by gender, the phenomenon has nothing to do with sexual relations. It could work just as easily in a father-daughter or grandfather-granddaughter relationship with no incestuous or ephebephiliac overtones (other than those "read in" by third parties who tend to assume such things even if they're not actually there).

Or, to put it another way, if a person has the ability, by her breath, to bring vitality to another person, with the basic effects described above, how would this be written up?

Fine, the particular example you cite aside...

The question is, does the character LOOK younger, or FEEL younger, or are they ACTUALLY younger, or does it just PROLONG their life from that point forward?

If they just LOOK younger it could be as simple as either a long-fade AID to COM or a Cosmetic Transform as you prefer.

If they FEEL younger it could similarly be a long-fade AID to one or more stats (REC for instance would both diminish any long term END losses and also "put more spring in the step" of an elder gent so to speak), a +1 Overall level (useful for boosting CHAR and PER rolls up a bit to overcome any age-deflation of stats), or see below.

If they are, for all intents and purposes, actually YOUNGER then since the game defines age as a Disadvantage via NCM, you would need to offset the Disadvantage cost by using Transform to grant the character a custom power with 5 or 10 base points depending on how much of an Age Disad is being offset.

If their lives are just being prolonged then similar to above except that you would need to give them a point of LS: Longevity via Transform. Of course, the longevity steps are pretty big for purposes of an effect like this and of course it has no real game effect unless your campaigns happen to span centuries, but there you go.

Of course, you either have to give such a power to each and every nubile young girl, or else declare it an environmental effect of sort, but there you have it. Once you step into the surreal you can't be too surprised when things get weird.

Ok, I figured out why it's so creepy.

It's because he's explicitly getting something from her. You can say it's not "carnal" all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it's entirely for his benefit.

Shades of youth stealing, elderly vampires draining young girls. Even if she's not losing anything in the bargain.

Edit: In fact, you could make it entirely his Power, and that still wouldn't help.

But remember that' date=' while it's divided by gender, the phenomenon has nothing to do with sexual relations. It could work just as easily in a father-daughter or grandfather-granddaughter relationship with no incestuous or ephebephiliac overtones (other than those "read in" by third parties who tend to assume such things even if they're not actually there).[/quote']

Not helping. Not in the least.

If you changed it to an older woman and a younger man, it wouldn't be any better. If you changed it to an even transaction, where he's giving up something to her in exchange, it still wouldn't be any better.

The scenario you've described, from top to bottom, is creepy, to me. There's no way you can present it to not be.

The scenario you've described' date=' from top to bottom, is creepy, to me. There's no way you can present it to not be. [/quote']

1. It's only creepy in our post-victorian american culture.

so says Egyptoid

2. In the Matrix, the main use of the humans was the energy produced from their bodies

If you use the idea at all, it's just part of the way the world works. Just as you don't need to "build" something into citrus fruits to make them protect you from scurvy, or define in game terms the difference between sleeping in a warm bed or on a hard chair.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks it's best done as "special effects." Why does this 80 yr old man still have CON 13? Because he eats right, exerciss, and hangs out with young people.

This is a good point. There is evidence that old people who keep their minds and bodies active tend to live longer and be more healthy, and one way to do that would be to hang around young people (so long as you remember to wash properly).

I'd assume any old PC or important NPC would generally be considered more active anyway, so the situation probably would not arise.

If you insisted on building it, I would not change the world, I'd change the person: hanging around young people is probably not enough in and of itself, you need the right mental attitude, or receptivity, or whatever. Buy LS Longevity 1 (only when in the proximity of people at least a quarter your age -0). That would mean the character ages at half rate in those circumstances.

-isms can be bad' date=' but -philias can be worse :)[/quote']I've become more open minded about this issue; and think there might even be something to it.

If Jessica Alba and Taylor Swift will come to my apartment pronto, we can get started on the empirical (and totally scientific, of course) tests immediately. :whistle: