Hero is TK projection of kid in coma

Korvar

Re: Hero is TK projection of kid in coma

Very interesting character idea... one I feel compelled to add my 2 cents to...

I would go the duplication route, similar to the "Telekinetic Sidekicks" on 5ER152. The dupe would need the Altered Duplicate (100%, +1) advantage (for obvious reasons), and also Original Character Is Incapacitated And Helpless While Duplicate Exists (-1), like on the Astral Projection power (Ult. Mentalist 154).

To handle the invalid nature of the "host" body, I would give the appropriate Physical Limitations...

If the character was a latent telekinetic, and could manifest these abilities in ways other than just the duplication, I would have all the powers with the -1/4 limitation "Does Not Work While Duplicate Present"... and since the character never recombines (I would guess), these powers wouldn't very often be expressed.

There are a lot of other interesting things you could work with on this character... but all in all, I would build with Duplication. The problem may be that the cost of the duplication makes the character prohibitively expensive, unless the GM allows the altered duplicate to not have to buy Duplication, or is built on enough extra points to overcome the cost of the Duplication.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the character know he's Kid Coma's imaginary friend? Does he have access to the kid's memories, and is in effect an astral projection of the kid, or does he have no memory of who he is or what he does when he's not in Super ID? Does he feel drawn to visit the kid's hospital room, and instinctively know he must protect him above all others, but not know why?

The Physical Limitation means he dies automatically if the kid is killed. The Resurrection stop condition alone just means' date=' if the kid dies, he (the hero) can't Regeneration if he is kill thereafter. As I said, the Physical Limitation is valid.[/quote']

Quite right, it does different things.

However, this gets into the intentions of the player and GM. As a GM, I would never have NPCs take an action that I know would immediately take a PC out of the game for good without the PC having a chance to act upon it. And a physical limitation that never actually occurs is not really limiting. An arbitrary removal of a character from the story isn't fun for anyone involved. So the way it would end up being played out in game is as a DNPC.

DNPC does not reflect this situation, as I understand it. There is a distinct linkage between the two.

The "projection" should be built as the primary character, with the youngster as a Duplicate form. Since she will be built on fewer points (Base and Disadvantage) than the primary character, you do not have to put a form of the Altered Duplicates Advantage on the power (a significant savings!). Ranged Recombination will be necessary, as well as a Trigger (the youngster wakes up, or what-you-will).

The primary character will need a Physical Limitation to reflect the fact she will die if the youngster dies. Unless, of course, you see the "projection" being able to continue past the death of the "projector".

And that could be a most interesting possibility....

DNPC does not reflect this situation, as I understand it. There is a distinct linkage between the two.

The "projection" should be built as the primary character, with the youngster as a Duplicate form. Since she will be built on fewer points (Base and Disadvantage) than the primary character, you do not have to put a form of the Altered Duplicates Advantage on the power (a significant savings!). Ranged Recombination will be necessary, as well as a Trigger (the youngster wakes up, or what-you-will).

The primary character will need a Physical Limitation to reflect the fact she will die if the youngster dies. Unless, of course, you see the "projection" being able to continue past the death of the "projector".

And that could be a most interesting possibility....

On the other hand the fact that the player has specified that the "projector" is in a coma, leads me to beleive that the kid is as much of a meaningful character as the Main Power Battery on Oa is to the DCU. The kid seems to be more of a McGuffin justifying the PCs power as anything else. DNPC or Focus or Physical Lim all seem to be reasonable ways to model the situation.

What if there was two players, one wants to play a psionic character, and the other wants to play a psychic projection of the other character's subconsciou. Both players are down with the idea. Would you require one of them to buy Duplication to represent the other player's character?

Very interesting character idea... one I feel compelled to add my 2 cents to...

I would go the duplication route, similar to the "Telekinetic Sidekicks" on 5ER152. The dupe would need the Altered Duplicate (100%, +1) advantage (for obvious reasons), and also Original Character Is Incapacitated And Helpless While Duplicate Exists (-1), like on the Astral Projection power (Ult. Mentalist 154).

To handle the invalid nature of the "host" body, I would give the appropriate Physical Limitations...

If the character was a latent telekinetic, and could manifest these abilities in ways other than just the duplication, I would have all the powers with the -1/4 limitation "Does Not Work While Duplicate Present"... and since the character never recombines (I would guess), these powers wouldn't very often be expressed.

There are a lot of other interesting things you could work with on this character... but all in all, I would build with Duplication. The problem may be that the cost of the duplication makes the character prohibitively expensive, unless the GM allows the altered duplicate to not have to buy Duplication, or is built on enough extra points to overcome the cost of the Duplication.

The beauty of this build is that the kid can then have some 'reactive' defenses that go off when he is threated (a triggered FF, perhaps?) so that if a bad guy actually attacks the kid it's not an autokill. Sure, Captain Projection disappears for a bit, but that was going to happen anyway...:sneaky:

I used a similar idea for a villain character in my agme a few years ago.

[b]Enorma[/b]
Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes
70	STR	*48	24-	400 tons; 15d6 HTH [7]
14	DEX	12	12-	OCV:  5/DCV:  0
40	CON	*48	19-
24	BODY	*22	14-
10	INT	0	11-	PER Roll:  11-
20	EGO	20	13-	ECV:  6
15/45	PRE	#*29	13-	PRE Attack:  9d6
20	COM	*4	13-	

15	PD	1		Total:  15 PD (0 rPD)
10	ED	0		Total:  10 ED (0 rED)
4	SPD	16		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12
24	REC	0	
100	END	0		# Not for Skills (-0)
85	STUN	0		* OIHID (-¼)

Total Characteristics Cost:  200

Movement:		Running:	40”/80”
	Leaping:	30”/60”
	Swimming:	2”/4”

[b]Cost	Powers	END[/b]
69	[b][i]Mental Body:[/i][/b]  Desolid (not versus Sleep-based Attacks, Other Giants, or Movie Monsters), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½), Persistent (+½), Fully Invisible (+1); Always On (-½), OIHID (-¼)	0
60	[b][i]Giant Hands:[/i][/b]  HA 6d6 (12d6 with STR), Affects Real World (+2), Area Of Effect (1 Hex, +½), BOECV (vs. PD, +1), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½), Persistent (+½); HA Lim (-½), Always On (-½), No Range (-½), OIHID (-¼)	0
80	[b][i]Giant Legs:[/i][/b]  Running +34” (40” Total), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); Cannot Be Used for Move-By or Move-Through Damage on Smaller Targets (-½), OIHID (-¼) plus Leaping +16” (30” Total), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); Cannot Be Used for Move-By or Move-Through Damage on Smaller Targets (-½), OIHID (-¼)	0
30	[b][i]Long Reach:[/i][/b]  Stretching 8”, Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); OIHID (-¼), Always Direct (-¼), No Noncombat Stretching (-¼), No Velocity Damage (-¼)	0

[b]Talents[/b]
3	Perfect Pitch

[b]Skills[/b]
3	Acting 13-
3	High Society 13-
2	KS: B-Movies of the 1940s and 1950s 11-
3	Oratory 13-
3	Seduction 13-

Total Powers & Skills:  255

Total Character Cost:  455

200+	[b]Disadvantages[/b]
5	Accidental Change:  Gigantic Dream Self 8- (when Dreaming)
20	Distinctive Features:  Gigantic Woman (Concealable, Extreme)
25	Normal Characteristics Maxima (Age 40+)
25	Physical Limitation:  Gigantic (16x Normal Size = 100 feet tall; “Weighs” 400 tons) (Always, Greatly)
25	Physical Limitation:  Short Life Span, Dying from Tumorous Growth (Frequently, Fully)
15	Psychological Limitation:  Vain Gloryhound (Common, Strong)
25	Psychological Limitation:  Believes That She is Reliving Famous Role (Very Common, Strong)
0	Reputation:  Actress 8- (small group)
15	Susceptible:  3d6 per Phase from Being Shown that She’s Not Really Enorma (Uncommon)
20	Vulnerable:  2x STUN/Effect from Sleep-Based Powers (Uncommon)
80	Experience Points

Total Disadvantages:  455

Background/History: Elizabeth Norma Grand was a scream queen back in the ’50s. She “starred” in many monster movies, running away from rubber-costumed creatures, screaming for help, and helplessly awaiting rescue. Then she finally got a movie in which she was the monster. She’d make everyone else scream for help, and the camera would capture her beauty in wide angle. For, thanks to the magic of special effects, she was going to be a giantess, stomping through the tiny city buildings, terrifying the city. And she got to be a monster, while still being her beautiful normal self, without spoiling her looks with any freakish makeup.

The movie performed moderately at the box office, and she was offered a sequel in which she took on both King Kong and Godzilla, but she became pregnant with twins, and decided to stay at home to raise her family with her second husband, Harold Biggs.

That was nearly 60 years ago, and her health is unfortunately going downhill quickly. While awake in her physical body, she used to spend her time at the rest home, talking to her fellow residents, playing cards, watching television, and so on. But the past few weeks have been very uncomfortable.

What no one realizes is that when she sleeps, she dreams of her starring role of Enorma, rampaging through the tiny city once again. And her dreams are beginning to take physical form….

Personality/Motivation: E. Norma Grand is a sweet elderly lady, rapidly descending into senility. When she’s coherent, she talks about her late husband Harold, her grandkids, baking, her awards (she won the 1952 Miss Automobile Model of the Year and Best Supporting Actress in 1953 for her screaming role in All My Monsters at the Horror Movie Honors).

But as Enorma, she acts menacing and angry, but at the same time sexy and demure. She seeks to destroy the city that robbed her of her true love, just like the script of the movie that gave her character life. Since all of this is a dream about being in a movie, her reactions to what happens may seem a little odd. She’ll sometimes pose dramatically as she smashes a “set model,” or she might grimace at an attack even though it won’t really hurt her.

Although she’s expecting planes and tanks to be her opposition, she won’t balk at superpowered heroes flying her way. She’ll treat them as any military attack, swiping them away, stomping on them, throwing large objects at them, and so forth.

She might be placated by someone claiming to have saved her true love, or presenting a “cure” for her growth, etc. But the surest way to end her rampage through the city is to wake up her actual older self.

Quote: (in her best “husky” voice) “How are you going to stop me, little man?”

Powers/Tactics: Enorma is apparently a gigantic woman, with the inherent strength and toughness that normally go along with great size. What sets her apart is that she also seems to be completely invulnerable, but that is not truly the case. Her Desolid is undetectable to all senses including Touch, meaning that she seems to absorb all damage directed her way. Missiles explode against her “skin,” leaving her unharmed; punches by the mightiest bricks do not move her; laser beams that would slice mountains go no further than her body; claw-blades made of Questionite cannot penetrate her skin. Physical and energy attacks do not work against her because she does not believe that they should. After all, she acquired her great size through an atomic blast (just like in the movie), so mere mortal attacks are launched in vain.

Mental attacks still work against her, which is perfectly reasonable, since her “giant body” is merely a mental construct. She doesn’t realize that she’s a mental being with an aged physical body near death. Sudden realization of this fact will be quite traumatic for her, and should be enough to neutralize her abilities.

In combat, Enorma first targets those that can fly, swatting them away with her huge hands and long reach. If there’s a large object (a radio tower, a small airplane, revolving restaurant) that she can grab and throw, she’ll take out a group of characters that way (since it’s such a spectacular special effects shot). Ground-based characters will often get themselves stomped by her (very) high heels. If there’s another giant around, it’ll receive her full attention, since that must be her “co-star” (and she’ll “act out” getting hurt just like it was a real fight – that is, her Desolid will not apply against such a foe).

Although she seems unstoppable, she has a few key weaknesses. First, she’s wide open to mental attacks. Sleep and dream attacks work particularly well against her, since she’s a dream, anyway. The primary way to beat Enorma, however, is by discovering that she is not what she seems, and confronting her with evidence. A video store with a lot of 50s’ B movies might have a copy of her movie; A character with an elderly DNPC might recognize her as the neighbor in the nursing home; an old cast member, or maybe the director might still be alive to notify the PCs.

Appearance: Enorma is 100 feet tall, and nicely built. She seems to be in her mid-20s, and wears a button-down shirt that’s tied in the middle, exposing her midriff.

Norma herself is a woman in her late 80s, and in poor health. She’s very thin, with white hair kept in an untidy bun.

Campaign Use: Enorma makes a good “unstoppable monster” for a superhero team to deal with. She comes with a couple of “off switches” (ways to negate her threat almost instantly), and should challenge the heroes to use their heads instead of their fists.

If her Desolid is too much trouble for your PCs to get around, replace it with Armor (15 PD/10 ED) and 75% Damage Reduction for Physical and Energy, Resistant, both with the Limitations Not versus Sleep-based Attacks, Other Giants, or Movie Monsters (-¼) and OIHID (-¼), using the cost savings from dropping the Affects Real World from her Giant Hands to cover the difference.

To raise her power level, replace her Running with Tunneling 30” through 30 DEF, Reduced Endurance (Costs END Only to Activate; +¼); Ground Surface Movement Only (-1), Cannot Be Used for Move-By or Move-Through Damage on Smaller Targets (-½), OIHID (-¼). This will give her the ability to perform a “Casual Move Through” on surrounding terrain as if it was all a papier mache movie set. With this ability, her enemies will not be able to hide from her, since she can walk 15” through any kind of material and still attack with her gigantic hands and long reach.

Another idea is to give her the ability to grow even larger when needed. 15 or 30 points’ of Growth that costs END only to activate, so that she could double or quadruple her size, would make her scary indeed.

To lower her power level, cap her height at 50 feet, and lower her STR to 60, CON and PRE to 30, HA to 4d6, and Running to 20”.

Milo McGuffin, at yer soivice

On the other hand the fact that the player has specified that the "projector" is in a coma' date=' leads me to beleive that the kid is as much of a meaningful character as the Main Power Battery on Oa is to the DCU. The kid seems to be more of a McGuffin justifying the PCs power as anything else. DNPC or Focus or Physical Lim all seem to be reasonable ways to model the situation.[/quote']

You know, McGuffin would be a great secret ID :D

On the other hand the fact that the player has specified that the "projector" is in a coma' date=' leads me to beleive that the kid is as much of a meaningful character as the Main Power Battery on Oa is to the DCU.[/quote']

The who to the what on the which?

Not everyone reads comic [sic] books. Your point is lost due to obscurity or reference.

What if there was two players, one wants to play a psionic character, and the other wants to play a psychic projection of the other character's subconsciou. Both players are down with the idea. Would you require one of them to buy Duplication to represent the other player's character?

Yes.

Assuming the projection can be absorbed by the psychic, or blocked/removed by doing something to the psychic. If that can't happen, then I would not allow Y to be "a psychic projection of the other character's subconsciou [sic]". Now, a creation or product of said subconscious, that I would allow. And, since I regularly allow PCs to "exceed" their written powers, the difference is not at all "semantic" or "academic".

[b]Cost	Powers	END[/b]
69	[b][i]Mental Body:[/i][/b]  Desolid (not versus Sleep-based Attacks, Other Giants, or Movie Monsters), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½), Persistent (+½), Fully Invisible (+1); Always On (-½), OIHID (-¼)	0

Powers/Tactics:Her Desolid is undetectable to all senses including Touch, meaning that she seems to absorb all damage directed her way.

Since it has been ruled that Shapeshift to the Touch Group allows someone to escape bonds, it seems reasonable that Desold, Invisible to the Touch Group should mean Entangles work on her. Mind you, tying up a 30-meter-tall woman will be tricky at best.

NB: I would argue that as she is not "untouchable" (the usual effect of Desolidification), that she should take damage as normal.

Not everyone reads comic [sic] books. Your point is lost due to obscurity or reference.

This is a forum dedicated to an RPG for playing super heroes, (please note this is the Champions forum and not the Hero System Discussion Forum, the Fantasy Hero forum), one tends to assume that even if the co-discusser do not read comic books, that they are at least more familiar than the general public about the major works in the super heroic genre. I appologize for assuming that you had more than a general idea of DC Universe, and the character The Green Lantern. If you could indicate what your grounding in the super hero genre is based on I will endevor to find an analogy that you are more familiar with.

Yes.

Assuming the projection can be absorbed by the psychic, or blocked/removed by doing something to the psychic. If that can't happen, then I would not allow Y to be "a psychic projection of the other character's subconsciou [sic]". Now, a creation or product of said subconscious, that I would allow. And, since I regularly allow PCs to "exceed" their written powers, the difference is not at all "semantic" or "academic".

I'm going to assume that you do not know who Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, Black Adam, and the Wizard Shazam are either.

Please, explain what the differences between a Projection, Creation or Product are that would recuire one player's character to pay points for another player's character?

NB: I would argue that as she is not "untouchable" (the usual effect of Desolidification)' date=' that she should take damage as normal.[/quote']

Well, it's a 120-point power that's supposed to make her nigh-indestructible. Change to 40/40 Armor or whatever else works for your campaign as needed.

This is a forum dedicated to an RPG for playing super heroes,

Yes. It is a forum for discussing a game. Not for discussing comic [sic] books.

(please note this is the Champions forum and not the Hero System Discussion Forum, the Fantasy Hero forum), one tends to assume that even if the co-discusser do not read comic books, that they are at least more familiar than the general public about the major works in the super heroic genre.

Major works. Not minor works, not second-string characters.

I appologize for assuming that you had more than a general idea of DC Universe,

Apology, but not patronizing tone, accepted.

and the character The Green Lantern.

The Green Lantern I have heard of. That does not mean some individual called "Oa" is thereby familiar.

If you could indicate what your grounding in the super hero genre is based on I will endevor to find an analogy that you are more familiar with.

My grounding in the superhero genre is from years of playing HERO. I have played with people none of whom read comic [sic] books. We enjoy the game immensely. We have no interest in comic [sic] books.

"Why not read comic books?" you undoubtedly ask. Go to http://www.comicvine.com/characters Read the "biography" of nearly any character. The unfortunate fact is that, across the last couple of decades, that the comic [sic] books have descended to soap opera.

I read to be taken out of myself, to delight in tales of those who are larger than life, who do not have the grinding, petty, ceaselessly picayune problems of real life. The comic books started that way, but have utterly failed to keep to such a level.

So, I play super-heroic games, but don't bother with the comic [sic] books. I hope that clarifies my background.

Yes.

I have re-inserted what you left out, to the detriment of the meaning of what I said. I was replying directly to your suppositional case.

Please, explain what the differences between a Projection, Creation or Product are that would recuire one player's character to pay points for another player's character?

See, by leaving out what I was responding to, you got what I was saying exactly backwards. What I said was, if one PC only exists because another PC creates him (knowingly or not), then the creating PC should pay the points for that power. If the "projection" can be eliminated by the "projector" or by doing something to the "projector," or breaking the "link" between them, then the "projection" only exists because of the "projector" and the "projector" should pay for the power.

I thought the distinction between projection and product/creation was clear. If not,...

Projection: a being or seeming that exists due to the action of "being projected": a temporary, blockable, or removable manifestation.

Creation or Product: a made thing, a thing with an existence of its own. While destroyable, it cannot be removed, stopped, "un-manifested," etc., by actions to the builder/creator.

If PC Alpha is a projection of PC Bravo, then PC Bravo should pay points to be able to do so.

If PC Bravo, out of her mental 'power', created or produced PC Alpha, who is a separate being, not dependent for continued existence on PC Bravo, then PC Bravo needs not pay anything. However, I would not allow then PC Alpha to have any characteristic of a mental projection in any sense of the term; PC Bravo would have no influence on PC Alpha, no more than any other person has (via, e.g., talking, reasoning, threatening, etc.).

Indeed, I would not allow Mind Link, as that is too much like "being a projection." Similarly, I would not allow PC Alpha to take Susceptibility/Vulnerability to PC Bravo's mental powers.

YMMV.

Yes. It is a forum for discussing a game. Not for discussing comic [sic] books.

Major works. Not minor works, not second-string characters.

Apology, but not patronizing tone, accepted.

The Green Lantern I have heard of. That does not mean some individual called "Oa" is thereby familiar.

My grounding in the superhero genre is from years of playing HERO. I have played with people none of whom read comic [sic] books. We enjoy the game immensely. We have no interest in comic [sic] books.

"Why not read comic books?" you undoubtedly ask.

Let me assure you that your continuous use of “comic [sic] books” kept that question far, far from my mind. It makes clear the level of regard that you hold for the medium, and presents a certain impression of yourself at the same time.

Go to http://www.comicvine.com/characters Read the "biography" of nearly any character. The unfortunate fact is that' date=' across the last couple of decades, that the comic [sic'] books have descended to soap opera.

I read to be taken out of myself, to delight in tales of those who are larger than life, who do not have the grinding, petty, ceaselessly picayune problems of real life. The comic books started that way, but have utterly failed to keep to such a level.

So, I play super-heroic games, but don't bother with the comic [sic] books. I hope that clarifies my background.

While all of that is quite enlightening in giving me a glimpse of your nature, it does not help me with the stated point of my question, which is to determine where to go to draw an analogy that you might be familiar with. For example, I know you play Hero System, but have no idea if you even have 5th Edition, or 5th Edition Revised. Given you attitude, I am not sure that I can even consider Dr. Destroyer as a character that you have any familiarity with, and I certainly have no idea if Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks was too plebian for your refined tastes to make it of any use to use either Morningstar, Firewing, or Esper as analogies.

I have re-inserted what you left out, to the detriment of the meaning of what I said. I was replying directly to your suppositional case.

See, by leaving out what I was responding to, you got what I was saying exactly backwards. What I said was, if one PC only exists because another PC creates him (knowingly or not), then the creating PC should pay the points for that power. If the "projection" can be eliminated by the "projector" or by doing something to the "projector," or breaking the "link" between them, then the "projection" only exists because of the "projector" and the "projector" should pay for the power.

I thought the distinction between projection and product/creation was clear. If not,...

Projection: a being or seeming that exists due to the action of "being projected": a temporary, blockable, or removable manifestation.

Creation or Product: a made thing, a thing with an existence of its own. While destroyable, it cannot be removed, stopped, "un-manifested," etc., by actions to the builder/creator.

If PC Alpha is a projection of PC Bravo, then PC Bravo should pay points to be able to do so.

If PC Bravo, out of her mental 'power', created or produced PC Alpha, who is a separate being, not dependent for continued existence on PC Bravo, then PC Bravo needs not pay anything. However, I would not allow then PC Alpha to have any characteristic of a mental projection in any sense of the term; PC Bravo would have no influence on PC Alpha, no more than any other person has (via, e.g., talking, reasoning, threatening, etc.).

Indeed, I would not allow Mind Link, as that is too much like "being a projection." Similarly, I would not allow PC Alpha to take Susceptibility/Vulnerability to PC Bravo's mental powers.

YMMV.

The impression that I’m getting, though is that if Alaph and Bravo were identical twins (being played by two separate players), who happened to have the same kind of builds that would cause you two think that Alpha was a projection of Bravo (Mind Link, Alpha having a Disadvantages representing that he could loose his power if Bravo was shielded from him some how, and Alpha would die if Bravo did), you would not require Bravo to buy Duplication/Summoning/etc. Is that correct?

OK, let me see if I am following your reasoning correctly. Sally in a fairly high end fantasy game, wants to play a dryad of the type that is bound to a tree. If the tree dies, she dies. Either Sally has to build the tree using Duplication/Summoning/etc. to represent the dryad, or the dryad would have to build the tree using Duplication/Summoning/etc.? Do I understand you correctly?

Not everyone reads comic [sic] books

Not intended as an attack but an honest point of confusion

Why comic [sic] books rather than comic books [sic]? [sic] traditionally qualifying the word or phrase before it and it seeming like you're commenting on comics being considered books.

Actually, the "comic [sic] book" phrasing confused me as well.

Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus"' date=' "so", "as such", or "just as that". In writing, it is placed within square brackets and usually italicized – [sic'] – to indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error.

This was my understanding of the usage as well. How it applies to the phrasing used in the various posts in question, however, I don't understand.

In any case, while I have no issue with the use of the "Oa" example as a reasonable example on a Supers forum, I think the correct etiquette would be "not familiar with the reference" and moving along. It's not reasonable to expect every poster to 'get' every comic book reference, but it's no more reasonable to expect any of us will know the nature and extent of each other poster's knowledge of various comic book concepts. I'd have the same reaction to reference to a specific fantasy novel, movie or character on the Fantasy boards.

To the actual question, to me the "character is a projection of the comatose kid" sounds a lot like an SFX or background element intended to have limited or no game impact. Assuming this is correct, I'd say build the Projection like any other character. Alien, mutant, highly trained normal, radiation accident and psychic projection all sound like background elements, not mechanics, to me.

Thanks for the wiki research Hugh. I have to agree with you, the background is pretty much total SFX, unless the kid can wake up and the "projection" will simply cease to exist. Since the OP gives no indication that this would be an issue, build the character normally and deal with his connection to the kid with Disads, background story, etc.

How it applies to the phrasing used in the various posts in question' date=' however, I don't understand.[/quote']

I was assuming he meant comic book [sic], to indicate that while he wouldn't normally consider the word book appropriate in association with comics, he was here. Essentially using it as an indication of disapproval; a sleight.

I was assuming he meant comic book [sic]' date=' to indicate that while he wouldn't normally consider the word [i']book[/i] appropriate in association with comics, he was here. Essentially using it as an indication of disapproval; a sleight.

Perhaps he's saying he doesn't find comic books particularly funny... hence comic [sic] books.