The Great Movie Serials: any favorites?

FenrisUlf

Just found a book at a local library, The Great Movie Serials: Their Sound and Fury by Jim Harmon and Don Glut, which is a rather entertaining review of most of the major serials of the 30's to the 50's (Flash Gordon, Captain Marvel/Shazam, Frank Merriwell, Gene Autry versus the Hollow Earth...).

I remember these shows from Sunday and Saturday morning TV in the 70's, mostly having seen the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers ones. Have any of you ever seen any of them, and if so, which ones did you enjoy?

Re: The Great Movie Serials: any favorites?

I haven't watched a full serial yet but I found several on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/user/classicmagicbox

The titles are:

The Adventures of Smilin' Jack

Burn 'Em Up Barnes

Dick Tracy

Diver Dan

Flying Discman From Mars

The Great Alaskan Mystery

The Phantom Empire [Gene Autry]

Radar Men From The Moon

The Return of Chandu

Sky King

Undersea Kingdom

The Whispering Shadow

Zorro's Fighting Legion

I'm particularly fond of Daredevils of the Red Circle, an early Republic Movie serial and one of the better ones in terms of plot and characters. Several of the shots and effects employed in Daredevils were reused in later Republic serials. I liked that the heroes formed a team with specialties (leader, strong man, escape artist), and that as professional acrobats they used acrobatic moves when fighting.

As a kid I was also fond of the various "rocket man" serials including King of the Rocket Men and Radar Men from the Moon, mostly for the cool flying suit used by the lead characters (prototype for the one worn by Dave Stevens's The Rocketeer).

My memory is faded and I've got no google but I think it's Phantom Empire hands down. Every episode, no matter what happens, Gene has to get back to the real world to sing a song on the local radio station or he loses his ranch. What a plot line.

My memory is faded and I've got no google but I think it's Phantom Empire hands down. Every episode' date=' no matter what happens, Gene has to get back to the real world to sing a song on the local radio station or he loses his ranch. What a plot line.[/quote']

:rofl:

I've only watched the first two episodes. Now I definitely have to see the rest.

I caught one the '30's Flash Gordon serials. It was on very early in the morning about 10 years ago, which means I got to work, got set up and snuck into an empty room to watch it. I really enjoyed it, despite how dated and cliched it looks now.

I also managed to catch some episodes of "King of the Rocketmen" and the original Buster Crabbe "Buck Rogers". All good stuff.

That's a good one.

Undersea Kingdom is wonderfully nonsensical. I have a soft spot for the Captain America serial too.

Many years ago we had a programme on Australian television called "Awful Movies With Deadly Earnest". They showed "Undersea Kingdom"and added their own "hurmerous" subtitles.

Never even heard of that one. Can you give some info on the plot?

Gangsters, guns, car chases, a two-fisted hero, a dame too nosy for her own good, a master villain in funny clothes with super-science death traps. The heroes get defeated all the time but ultimately finish off the bad guys.

:D

i saw an edited movie version of the original chandu' date='not bad doesthe sequel compare?[/quote']

I've never seen the original but "Return" has a ton of classic tropes such as arcane cultists, reincarnated high priestesses, magical assassination attempts during a blacktie formal, lost islands, human sacrafice of the heroes dnpc, evil wizards falling into pits of fire, etc. It's on very solid pulp ground and you can pick it up for about $10.00 or less.

The only guilty part for me is that the evil cultists worship some form of the god Bast and have these kind of cute kitties sewn on their robes.