The Great Movie Serials: any favorites?

FenrisUlf

Re: The Great Movie Serials: any favorites?

My memory is faded and I've got no google but I think it's Phantom Empire hands down. Every episode' date=' no matter what happens, Gene has to get back to the real world to sing a song on the local radio station or he loses his ranch. What a plot line.[/quote']

I remember that one fondly as well...

I guess thats why I once set a Call of Cthulu game on a dude ranch in Oklahoma...:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just watched Tailspin Tommy. 12 thrilling chapters of bad acting, cheesy dialogue, goofy fight scenes, and "some of the most remarkable stunt flying ever filmed." It wasn't great but I enjoyed it, especially watching Patricia Farr as Betty Lou Barnes. Betty Lou isn't the typical pulp female who stands around just looking pretty - she jumps out of a plane for the heck of it, jumps out of another plane because it's on fire, shoots at sky raiders with a pistol, and helps Tommy in a scrap. And she looks pretty. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Lord, so many choices.

I'd go with Captain Marvel, Spysmasher, The Fighting Devil Dogs (flying wings, lightning torpedoes, and a villain whose costume design inspired Skymaster in 'Masterminds and Madmen'), Mysterious Dr. Satan, Nyoka the Jungle Girl, Nyoka and the Tiger Men, The Phantom, any of the Flash Gordons, Buck Rogers, Secret Agent X-9 Captain Midnight... heck, it might be easier to list the ones I *haven't* liked.

I miss Serials. :( One of the great things about being stuck with AFN for a TV station most of my life was they would run them all. They would do the radio drama's as well. *sigh* Now, you get brain dead reformatted trash.....and my friends wonder why I haven't had a TV in 3 years, heh.

~Rex....

• 4 weeks later...

a lot of them are now out of copyright and can be downloaded fromarchive.org/

here is some Flash Gordon for example

I know this is a 'movie' thread, but here's some old-time radio episodes of Flash Gordon. I find radio both more distracting and more immersive...

http://www.otr.net/?p=flsh

• 3 weeks later...

In the "Zombies of the Stratosphere" clip - What on earth was that 'tankette'? It's like a small Carden-Lloyd tracked carrier - you know, those thigs that became bren-carriers, and the Brit & Italian light tanks of early WWII...

I WANT ONE!!!!!!