Computer as a Network of Humans

Sociotard

I have a character that exists soley to explore different ways to represent an extremely well connected person with social abilities undreamt of by common man.

I just had an idea for how to represent one of this characters myriad networks in HERO terms: a Computer. Such a computer would have many abilities (Skills) and strong multitasking abilities (High INT) but would difficult to coordinate and focus on any given task (few Programs) and would be slow (SPD problems).

Those last two are giving me fits.

• How do I change it so the computer is 'programmed' using social skills (like PRE rolls or Persuasion) instead of Computer Programming?
  • How do I change SPD so it can only take actions every hour or so? (I'm guessing this is a physical lim?)
  • Anybody know of a good way to give something unpredictable psych lims?

Re: Computer as a Network of Humans

I have a character that exists soley to explore different ways to represent an extremely well connected person with social abilities undreamt of by common man.

I just had an idea for how to represent one of this characters myriad networks in HERO terms: a Computer. Such a computer would have many abilities (Skills) and strong multitasking abilities (High INT) but would difficult to coordinate and focus on any given task (few Programs) and would be slow (SPD problems).

Those last two are giving me fits.

• How do I change it so the computer is 'programmed' using social skills (like PRE rolls or Persuasion) instead of Computer Programming?
  • How do I change SPD so it can only take actions every hour or so? (I'm guessing this is a physical lim?)
  • Anybody know of a good way to give something unpredictable psych lims?

Interesting idea.

Instead of an Artificial Intelligence, you have a Natural Extelligence.

1. The book already mentions using "Computer Programming or Persuasion" on "AIs" (emphasis mine.) I'd just create a Social Networking skill (not sure it shouldn't still be INT based) and say the PRE based skills can often be complimentary to it. I'm also usually reluctant to use Perks, but maybe you should pay for Computer Link or Access or something, to define this social network as something unique based on this character's assiduous cultivation of contacts, not something that just anyone can pick up a phone and access.

2. See below. Basically, buy 1 pt SPD with Extra Time Limitation.

3. Psych Lims are defined by frequency and severity. The only reason they normally have to be consistent from encounter to encounter is that it usually does not make any sense for them not to be. In this case, where the character sheet does not represent an individual being, it can easily be a different Psych Lim every time.

Presenting:

NE: Natural Extelligence,

AKA Six Degrees of Separation

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

8 DEX -6 11- OCV: 3/DCV: 3

40 INT 30 17- PER Roll 17-

13 EGO 6 12- ECV: 4

1 SPD -10 Phases: 7

Total Characteristic Cost: 20

Movement:

Cost Powers END

2 Six Degrees of Preparation: +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3)

Perks

6 Six Degrees of Obfuscation: Anonymity

6 Six Degrees of Computation: Computer Link

Talents

3 Six Degrees of Calculation: Lightning Calculator

13 Six Degrees of Translation: Universal Translator 17- (20 Active Points); Limited Power Only to translate things someone in his social network could speak (which probably does include most Human languages that aren't extinct) but the more obscure, the longer it takes to track down someone who recognizes it and can translate it. (-1/2)

Skills

200 Six Degrees of Applications: A vast pool of points not yet broken down into numerous individual skills and abilities.

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 230

Total Cost: 250

200+ Disadvantages

15 Six Degrees of Consternation: Sometimes no one can find the answer. Unluck 3d6

15 Six Degrees of Complication. Psychological Limitation: Highly variable, but always some motivation or interest to take into account (Very Common, Moderate)

15 Six Degrees of Complication. Psychological Limitation: Highly variable, but sometimes a serious quirk to work around (Common, Strong)

15 Six Degrees of Complication. Psychological Limitation: Highly variable, but occasionally a severe obsession or zealous commitment must be negotiated (Uncommon, Total)

Total Disadvantage Points: 60

Lucius Alexander

I would claim Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises, but the character conception was Sociotard's. Besides, it's not like it doesn't still need a lot of work.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lucius again.

I'll try to stop being so awesome.

(Who am I kidding...of course I won't.)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary will keep kicking Lucius Alexander in the head until the swelling goes down.

Fleshed out (so to speak) the skill list.

Skills

Six Degrees of Applications

3 Six Degrees of Electrification: Electronics 17-

3 Six Degrees of Mechanization: Mechanics 17-

3 Six Degrees of Medicalization: Paramedics 17-

3 Six Degrees of Revelation: Cryptography 17-

3 Six Degrees of Computation: Computer Programming 17-

3 Six Degrees of Evidence Examination: Criminology 17-

3 Six Degrees of Medical Examination: Forensic Medicine 17-

7 Six Degrees of Falsification: Forgery (Art Objects, Commercial Goods, Documents, Paper Money) 17-

3 Six Degrees of Security Systemization: Security Systems 17-

9 Six Degrees of Security Circumvention: Lockpicking 14-

3 Six Degrees of: Systems Operation 17-

3 Six Degrees of Combat Operations: Tactics 17-

15 Six Degrees of Analyzation: Analyze: Anything 23-

15 Six Degrees of Education: KS: Everything 29-

15 Six Degrees of Experimentation: SS: All Human Science 29-

15 Six Degrees of Occupations: PS: Anything 29-

10 Six Degrees of Improvisation: Cramming (X2)

30 Six Degrees of Specialization: +10 To couner penalties for using over-general skills for specific uses

Notes: For example: To actually use Analyze: Anything to analyze something in particular, or for KS: Everyhing to substitute for a specific KS, will probably be at a heavy penalty. Note that a skill level may only be applied to one task at a time, so that if all ten of these levels were applied to a given skill, no other skill can get the benefit.

60 Six Degrees of Optimization: +6 Overall

Lucius Alexander

6 degrees of palindromedary

I had a few of those, plus AK: Earth 29-, Research, and Navigation.

I put Rapid 10,000X in Powers (Six Degrees of Processing Capacity), and was trying to decide what senses such a computer might need. (Computers don't even come with standard senses free). HRRP seemed like a good bet. I also made a "AV media reader" sense. I know that includes two senses (sight and hearing), but I justify it by saying that it is a detect, and that by restricting it to Media (books, web pages, CDs, DVDs, etc) it is sufficiently tight to make it one class of things. Since the computer has no actual "location", being distributed around the world, I decided it needed Telescopic. It can read a book in a London library as easily as listen to a CD in Tokyo.

55 Detect AV Media and Information 16- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Telescopic: +42, Transmit

I also thought it would be fun if the computer had a "Gossip" sense; it can report what people in different parts of the world are talking about.

84 Clairsentience (Skill Group), x131,072 Range (13,107,200") (105 Active Points); One Sense Only (Conversation; -1/4)

Since the computer has no actual "location", being distributed around the world, I decided it needed Telescopic.

I'm not sure what it needs, but somehow I don't think "Telescopic" is it, exactly. Possibly it needs Clairsentience.

The problem with an "Unfocused" or as in this case "distributed" intelligence is that, unlike with a "normal" character, there is no specific point in the space time continuum that is an obvious "perception point." Even Telescopic assumes that the viewer is standing somewhere specific. How do you know what range modifiers to apply? Clairsentience, on the other hand, actually creates a perception point somewhere (although there again, it's still assumed that the power is generated by someone or something that does have a definite physical location.)

Also, just because the AI (or NE) has no Focus, doesn't mean some of the Powers won't. For that matter, possibly the whole thing SHOULD be on a focus: IIF and Indestructible. After all, if the character is restrained from communicating with anyone, he loses the benefit.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suspects that I'm not using the word "extelligence" correctly....

That's why I made both the Clairsentience and the Detect able to view things anywhere on the planet at no penalty. I couldn't justify any given spot as being "further away" from the NE.

I was considering buying the Computer with the Restrainable limitation to reflect the access limitations you mention. Here, restrainable could even mean going underground or out to the boonies, where there are no bars.

This being the first such network named, perhaps we should call it NE1.

As in, "only six degrees of separation stand between me and NE1."

Lucius Alexander

Six degrees of palindromedary

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lucius again.

Dammit!

• 1 year later...

This is a novel concept. At one point, I was thinking of creating a 'bad guy' with some similar characteristics. The villain is actually a virus that propagates to other people and uses their bodies as needed to perform their nefarious deeds and has access to all their knowledge and contacts. They are linked via mind link and gains intelligence based on how many bodies are on the mental network. My only problem was that, other than trying to propagate, what else does the virus do?

This is a novel concept. At one point' date=' I was thinking of creating a 'bad guy' with some similar characteristics. The villain is actually a virus that propagates to other people and uses their bodies as needed to perform their nefarious deeds and has access to all their knowledge and contacts. They are linked via mind link and gains intelligence based on how many bodies are on the mental network. My only problem was that, other than trying to propagate, what else does the virus do?[/quote']

I think that I would have the villain effectively extra-dimensional. All of his attacks would need to be appropriately advantaged but the special effects would be of infected people doing this kind of stuff.

To damage the villain you would have to use attacks that were specifically anti-viral - doing BODY would be wiping the virus from ranges of people - 0 BODY left would be a disruption of the network so severe that it was never able to become coherent again.

The 'virus' would effectively be an extra-dimensional psychic entity that depended on its network of infected folk to survive and accomplish its ends...

Doc