What's a good introductory adventure?

Narf the Mouse

Re: What's a good introductory adventure?

Take a look at The Tomb of Rakoss the Undying, attached to this post. Solid, straightforward introductory "dungeon crawl" adventure with good maps and pregen NPCs (for 5E). Converting it to 6E looks pretty simple, and otherwise it's ready to go.

BTW the thread Rakoss is on is a source for lots more free (or cheap) HERO fantasy adventures.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to see if I can start a Hero gaming group at Church. To this end, I'll need 6th ed. (Birthday soon), some PCs and NPCs (Hero Designer and ask-yoinking from the boards) and an adventure.

So, what's a good, clean introductory adventure?

Thanks for any and help.

Keep on the Borderlands (and, convieniently enough, our own Kestrel has a Hero System conversion).

I've long used the same "fall back adventure" for one shots or quick game starters. Half giant shows up in town and starts to cause a ruckus demanding to know "where it is" and "who's got it" and such. With some work you find out that some thief named Jack stole his goose. And it may or may not be able to lay golden eggs. That's your call. :sneaky:

Good introductory adventure totally depends on the style of game you want to play. Is it hack n' slash, classic DnD? Is it more expansive roaming a la Runequest? Is it tribal fantasy, such as encouraged by HeroWars? Is it gritty medieval like Rolemaster tends to lean toward?

I think a good introductory adventure should:

1. Explore the main game mechanics, whether that's combat, social interaction or whatever is important to the game

2. Give each PC an opportunity to use his or her main schtick

3. Be low risk and low reward, you're just getting them started, you don't want either Total Party Kill or a group of PCs with bucketloads of gold at the end of it.

For me, I'd also add a fourth:

4. Should ignore any campaign metaplot. Your second scenario is the time to introduce a metaplot, especially if they're new players. The first scenario should be stand alone, nice and easy, no campaign benefits for excessive finesse and no detriment for overt clumsiness.

Keep on the Borderlands (and' date=' convieniently enough, our own Kestrel has a Hero System conversion).
I second this. And I don't even think you really need an actual "converted" version to run it. Its easy enough to stat up some basic lizard men, spiders, kobolds, goblins, etc. The story is system neutral, so just wing the details and go...

I second this. And I don't even think you really need an actual "converted" version to run it. Its easy enough to stat up some basic lizard men' date=' spiders, kobolds, goblins, etc. The story is system neutral, so just wing the details and go...[/quote']

Personally I think it's over-rated. I bought a copy of Ebay a few years back for old times' sake, and it's a bland, old school dungeon crawl with no real rationale, no real story and no real reason for being there. It's little more than an exercise in dice rolling. I'd rather see an introductory adventure with a bit more storyline to capture the new players' imaginations, personally.

Me personally, I would find some odd Dungeon adventure (if you have any) and translate it over. If there were a chance you could find Under Illefarn you would have yourself a darn good module right there. A mini-setting that was either planned to be part of the Forgotten Realms or was later incorporated, NPCs with extensive background notes, and some mini-adventures with no particular order required other than the last. Easy enough to fit other things into it.

Failing that, Treasure Hunt (for which I believe there is a HERO translation) works pretty well as an introductory adventure.

And as a last resort, grab up a copy of Tomb of Horrors. You won't even need HERO stats cuz the characters ain't gonna last long enough to draw a sword. :D

For myself, I plan on using Under Illefarn as a blueprint for my next fantasy game. Local heroes done good sort of thing. Isolated territory and all that, but with the capacity of being expanded upon later.