Champions Background Information

PamelaIsley

Re: Champions Background Information

Nothing.

It is a collection of Characters that appeared elsewhere, some are completly new (seven or so.).

(Be warned: Some are from Millenium City and Champions but not all.)

I guess I was unclear. I didn't mean direct reprints. I meant repeats.

Mechanon is in Evil Unleashed and he's certainly in the Crooks book.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I was unclear. I didn't mean direct reprints. I meant repeats.

Mechanon is in Evil Unleashed and he's certainly in the Crooks book.

Nope. Mechanon is in the Champions Genre Book. As are some of the as you say: Repeats. Nothing from Crooks is in Evil Unleashed.

As usual the answer to this sort of question is easily found in the “HERO Games Product Line” section of this forum.

Here’s our back-cover text describing EU:

EVIL WITHIN YOUR GRASP!

As every Champions fan knows, you can never have too many great villains! But with so many Champions books in print, sometimes it’s hard to find just the villain you’re looking for without a lot of page-flipping.

That’s where Evil Unleashed comes in. It saves you the effort of carrying a lot of books to the gaming table and the time needed to look through them for the particular villain you want. It collects the villains from nearly a dozen supplements

Champions

Champions Battlegrounds

Champions Universe

Millennium City

Sharper Than A Serpent’s Tooth

the Ultimate series

UNTIL

Vibora Bay

Villainy Amok

and puts them between two covers so you only have to refer to one book when you’re searching for a superpowered bad guy. And for a little added fiendishness Evil Unleashed includes five all-new villains: the supervillain team Merc-Force 1; the mysterious, demonsouled supermage Josiah Brimstone; and Vixen, a swift and seductive cat burglar with other goals on her mind than just robbery.

You’ll note under the section I put in bold is the list of where the villains in EU come from. Also, you should read Ghost-Angel’s review found in the same thread. In fact, I’d suggest reading G-A’s reviews before buying any Hero Product.

Nope. Mechanon is in the Champions Genre Book. As are some of the as you say: Repeats. Nothing from Crooks is in Evil Unleashed.

How else would you phrase villains that appear twice? Repeats seemed the best word to me.

But I stand corrected. Mechanon is in other books I have, but not Crooks.

How much of Evil Unleashed is reprinted in Conquerors, Killers and Crooks?

The Amazon reviews are kind of contradictory on this point.

None.

Evil Unleashed takes from the following resources:

Champions, Champions Universe, Millennium City, Champions Battlegrounds, UNTIL: Defenders Of Freedom, Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth, Vibora Bay, Villainy Amok, and several of the Ultimate Series.

(edit: missed that last page that repeats all I just said :P )

I have a feeling not all the villains from 5E will make it into 6E books. . . There are a lot of published characters for 5th Edition. So the purchase may have a few gems in it that don't make it moving forward.

That's what I guessed, though Steve Long indicated somewhere he intended to do three 6E villain books. That's a lot if they are of the same rough length as Conquerors, Killers and Crooks.

Not to mention characters from more specialized books which likely won't be in the three 6E villain compendia, such as Champions Worldwide, Hidden Lands, or DEMON.

There really isn't any comic or comic-inspired world with as much collective meat to it as the CU, outside of Marvel and DC.

I hope most of them make it and the 3 new villain books are huge' date=' but even at solid 100 villains per book, that still leaves about a 100 more published characters left out in the cold.[/quote']

Heck, there are still several of my favorite 4th edition villains that never made it to 5th, so I don't have a lot of hope they will appear in 6th. (I'm apparently the only guy in herodom that liked High Tech Enemies or Allies)

I agree with several others, I have no doubt the 5th edition villain books will remain useful for some time, even if you do have to gloss over a few rules differences.

Heck' date=' there are still several of my favorite 4th edition villains that never made it to 5th, so I don't have a lot of hope they will appear in 6th. (I'm apparently the only guy in herodom that [u']liked[/u] High Tech Enemies or Allies)

You can count me in the "liked both" column, and I know there are others. :thumbup:

Heck' date=' there are still several of my favorite 4th edition villains that never made it to 5th, so I don't have a lot of hope they will appear in 6th. (I'm apparently the only guy in herodom that [u']liked[/u] High Tech Enemies or Allies)

I agree with several others, I have no doubt the 5th edition villain books will remain useful for some time, even if you do have to gloss over a few rules differences.

The biggest difference would probably be in some of the trickier character concepts which might be more easily designed using 6E, but even that wouldn't exclude them from being usable.

Put me down as not only having liked High Tech Enemies and Allies but built story arcs around them (especially the Cyberknights concept). :thumbup:

The worst one was European Enemies. :(

Snowblind's background is much less appealing than Icicle's original story. I guess it doesn't matter, since I own both books, but it still disappointed me.

Otherwise, I've found Evil Unleashed just as enjoyable.

However, I think all the Blank/COIL stuff might be obsolete. Doesn't Timothy Blank appear in CO as a VIPER scientist researching Grond? I think he's part of the second group of VIPER missions in the desert that you undertake after you finish with the robot cowboys.

Vixen was a good character, though another VIPER-related storyline seems tacked on.

I guess I"m burned out on VIPER from CO.

Blank is a VIPER scientist, the events in Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth are about him leaving the organization when he becomes King Cobra. I have no idea how the game handles it, I need to get a hold of someone to give me the story arcs since I'm not going to play the game.

They may be doing a slight rewind/reboot to get the events of STAST into the game, the virus would be kind of cool.

Blank is a VIPER scientist, the events in Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth are about him leaving the organization when he becomes King Cobra. I have no idea how the game handles it, I need to get a hold of someone to give me the story arcs since I'm not going to play the game.

They may be doing a slight rewind/reboot to get the events of STAST into the game, the virus would be kind of cool.

I can't remember it very well. But what you postulate sounds right.

I think, actually, Blank might mutate himself when you confront him in the mission Blank and Stein's Monster, but I can't remember that for sure.

He's certainly part of VIPER in the game.

the champions universe has a lot off infomation.I am runnig a champions game with m@m rules,my advice start slow maybee with viper or demon,then work from there.I cut the heroes and villians in half only using what I liked.I worked some of the meta4 setting into my campain (one of my players played Knockoff

That seems like an oxymoron.

It looks like you are running an M&M game, using the Champions background.

What's wrong with that?

I'm not going to use the Hero rules, but if I get enough into the setting I might convert the villains and heroes into M&M and run a game using M&M's rule set.

I doubt people here want to debate the merits of the two systems, but I can't imagine that it's just inconcievable that someone would prefer the Champions background to the Freedom City setting and the M&M rules to the Hero regime.

Nothing.

From everything I've been exposed to in 30+ years of gaming, the game is defined by the system used. Not by the source of the background material.

I've used DC Heroes, Superworld, Marvel Super Heroes, Champions, Foundation, Enforcers, M&M, novels, comics, TV shows, movies, etc., to come up with characters and plot ideas for my game.

The game is Champions, using the Hero System.

The world I run started with 2e and has upgraded successively with each edition (until now) requiring only character conversion to the new rule set.