Lady Liberty = MnM character

danbuter

Originally posted by danbuter

The name of the "Name The Character" contest on Hero Games front page just happens to be Lady Liberty.

Well, I'm not sure when Freedom City first came out, but I'm pretty sure this Lady Liberty (which has been around since November of last year, I believe) is no relation :)

I'm pretty sure the name falls within the public domain by this point - it's been applied to many characters and images over the years, not the least being that dame with the torch in New York Harbor. ;)

This is probably a good excuse to repost this info: Steve Kenson, the author of Freedom City, originally wrote the manuscript as a supplement for HERO System as part of Gold Rush Games' "San Angelo" line, before Cybergames bought back the property. A while ago Steve generously put up the old HERO stats for many of the characters from that book on the web, free to anyone who wants them. They're for Fourth Edition HERO System, but pretty easy to convert; they make many of the Freedom City characters almost immediately usable for Champions games. You can download the file via this link:

http://members.aol.com/talonstudio/freedomcity/fchero.html

FWIW, there was a Lady Liberty in the Force of July in the old Outsiders series by DC in the early '80s. We only stress over name duplication if there's some likelihood of confusion or if the other character is so well known it would interfere with the ability to enjoy the new one. There won't be a Catwoman in the Champs Universe, but there have been enough different Nighthawks in various media that we're not worried about confusing ours with the Marvel one. dw

A patriotic babe by any other name...

The illustration of Mutants & Masterminds' Lady Liberty looks uncannily like Wonder Woman circa 1993 in her "off-duty" uniform. Can't kick too much about originality in superheroes after 80 or so years of monthly stories.

Sigh. Statuesque brunettes in form-fitting patriotic-colored spandex. Gets me every time.

Re: A patriotic babe by any other name...

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

The illustration of Mutants & Masterminds' Lady Liberty looks uncannily like Wonder Woman circa 1993 in her "off-duty" uniform. Can't kick too much about originality in superheroes after 80 or so years of monthly stories.

Sigh. Statuesque brunettes in form-fitting patriotic-colored spandex. Gets me every time.

*Swoon*

Hello,

Originally Posted by Darren Watts:

FWIW, there was a Lady Liberty in the Force of July in the old Outsiders series by DC in the early '80s.

Yeah, I remember this one. French-accented lady with a greenish robe-like costume similar to that of the actual Statue of Liberty, complete with a torch that focused her energy powers. The Force went down fighting in an issue of one of my favorite old DC titles, Suicide Squad. Two Force teammates are murdered by less-than-sane Squad members, but the remainder of the Force teams up with the Squad for a strike at the enemy who maneuvered the two groups into conflict, Kobra and his minions. The mission takes them to Kobra's orbiting base, where the Force's laconic Duplicator, Silent Majority, is taken out assaulting Kobra's master-villain über-weapon. In the coolest Duplication scene I've yet seen in the comics, his Duplicates are being shot down by Kobra's agents about as fast as he makes them, yet each one comes into being a step closer to his goal...until, finally, his last one is shot before he can Duplicate again, just as he is climbing up to the weapon's control platform. After this, Lady Liberty is able to get close to Kobra's weapon, and, seeing the battle going badly for her side, decides to cut loose with a full-strength blast into the weapon at point-blank range. It blows up, killing her but foiling Kobra's plot of destruction. This leaves Major Victory, the Force's leader, its last surviving member.

Man, did I dig the Squad. A much better solution to the storage-closet-full-of-ridiculous-weak-villains issue than Marvel was to take later with Scourge. And Amanda Waller has got to be one of the coolest non-powered characters ever to appear in a major-company superhero universe.

The original idea with the Suicide Squad was to deal with problems that people would say it was Suicide to try and deal with. This was not using the capes at the time.

Later as the above makes clear the Suicide Squad was activated with professional costumed crooks including the likes of Captain Boomerang and Deadshot, both of whom survived their stint in the Squad. A lot of other minor villains did not. Basically service with the Squad meant reduced or forgiven sentences or that they would help with your problem. The latter would have been true for Psi who died on a mission and was true for Nightshade.

Hi again,

The original Suicide Squad was a war comic, along the general lines of Sergeant Rock, Sergeant Fury and his Howling Commandos, The Haunted Tank, and that sort of thing.

The later Squad comic revolved around a secret government agency. The original concept of the agency was to use convicted super-criminals to carry out high-risk secret missions in return for pardons for the survivors - a kind of superhuman Dirty Dozen. It later also recruited other superhumans to whom it could offer help of one sort or another. Amanda Waller headed up the agency (which later expanded into "Task Force X", and included units other than the Squad), and the Squad's field leader for most of its existence was a military officer, the son of one of the soldiers in the original Squad.

All of the criminals on the squad wore locked explosive bands on an arm during missions; if they strayed too far from the team leader, these would detonate - and they could also be triggered remotely by the team leader. Later models included a electrical stunner to give the team leader a non-lethal option. This bit of Squad lore has unpleasant echoes in the recent news story of the guy who died being forced into robbing a bank with a similar device around his neck.

The Squad's book was very Bronze Age/Iron Age in its sensibilities, though without the requisite number of Iron Age hotties in form-fitting thong-bottom jumpsuits (but Nightshade came pretty close... ;)). The casualty rates were the highest I can remember in a major-company comic, and colossal screwups, inter-team betrayals, and fighting WAY out of their weight class were not uncommon.

The Squad's criminal recruits tended to be on the low end of the power scale, as real tough guys could laugh at the Squad's armbands, and also tended not to be caught in the first place. Besides, half the rationale for the Squad was to get these guys killed off, and DC seemed to have a nigh-endless supply of lame low-powered super-crooks for replacements. The toughest guy ever on the Squad's roster was the Parasite, and of course on the first attempt to use him, they woke him from his suspended animation and he went completely berserk and out of control. Firestorm wound up having to take him down, and the Squad barely managed to cover up its own role in the whole affair.

Another favorite Squad moment involves Batman. Concerned about the number of people he's put away who are back on the streets somehow (through Squad pardons), he uses his mad detective skillz to discover the Squad's headquarters (Belle Reeve Prison, Terrebonne Parish, LA). Bats infiltrates the prison, finds out what's going on, gets past Squad members who try to stop him (including his old buddy Deadshot), and confronts Waller in her office, going into full Bat-intimidation mode and telling her he's going to blow the whistle on the whole operation. Waller just looks him straight in the eye, tells him she's been monitoring his progress through the prison, and points out that his hurried infiltration and confrontations with Squad members have almost certainly left behind enough evidence for her to be able to discover his secret identity. She basically says, you tell our secrets, and we'll tell yours, and she actually backs Bats down. Not a feat to which many can lay claim...

The Squad's book folded many years ago, and it's been a while since I've bought a comic, but I hear Waller's got a high post under Prez Luthor, dealing with supers for the goverment again. Not a bad comeback for someone who did some time, in a Liddy/North kind of way, when the Squad finally was exposed and the political hearings began.

Hope this helps! :)