CHAMPIONS 6E -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAMPIONS 6E -- What Do *You* Want To See?

I third the notion.

Moving on...

A list of typical occupations are listed in the sidebar for page 52 of Champions 5e.

Quite a few of those occupations have gained corresponding Package Deals since Champions 5e was released.

AFAIK these include: Athlete, Doctor, Law Enforcement Officer, Martial Artist, Dilettante, Musician, Private Investigator, Scientist, Spy, Assassin, and Pilot.

So what if Champions 6e had Templates for those occupations?

I third the notion.

Moving on...

A list of typical occupations are listed in the sidebar for page 52 of Champions 5e.

Quite a few of those occupations have gained corresponding Package Deals since Champions 5e was released.

AFAIK these include: Athlete, Doctor, Law Enforcement Officer, Martial Artist, Dilettante, Musician, Private Investigator, Scientist, Spy, Assassin, and Pilot.

So what if Champions 6e had Templates for those occupations?

pulp hero nd dark champions had package deals/templates for these as i recall and ninja hero themartial artist ones they'd just need updating to 6e

Optional Hero archetype: The Crazy Hero.

The Crazy Hero can be any archetype you can create with the specific Disadvantage Insanity.

This guy is unusually hyper and is quick to jump into a battle with both feet running,he's a combo of RAMBO,DAFFY DUCK,PEE WEE HERMAN and a stand comic on speed. This type can make you Champions game interesting as the the types of crazies exist in comics: Cases in point DC's The CREEPER and BROTHER POWER ,THE GEEK, Marvel's MADCAP,and don't forget our lovable loony Foxbat. Is it Possible to include A'Crazy Hero 'Archetype in the CHAMPIONS 6e book?:cool:

Optional Hero archetype: The Crazy Hero.

The Crazy Hero can be any archetype you can create with the specific Disadvantage Insanity.

This guy is unusually hyper and is quick to jump into a battle with both feet running,he's a combo of RAMBO,DAFFY DUCK,PEE WEE HERMAN and a stand comic on speed. This type can make you Champions game interesting as the the types of crazies exist in comics: Cases in point DC's The CREEPER and BROTHER POWER ,THE GEEK, Marvel's MADCAP,and don't forget our lovable loony Foxbat. Is it Possible to include A'Crazy Hero 'Archetype in the CHAMPIONS 6e book?:cool:

Also Freakazoid and Ambush Bug.

pulp hero nd dark champions had package deals/templates for these as i recall and ninja hero themartial artist ones they'd just need updating to 6e

That's what I mean - those package deals are great for mechanically fleshing out Superhero backgrounds.IMO Champions 6e would do players a great favor by including them (and possibly others), and besides that, they would serve for merely slightly tweaked reprints for future genre books.

That's what I mean - those package deals are great for mechanically fleshing out Superhero backgrounds.IMO Champions 6e would do players a great favor by including them (and possibly others)' date=' and besides that, they would serve for merely slightly tweaked reprints for future genre books.[/quote']

I think that can go one step further. If I were building a spy or a cop in Dark Champions, I would probably have a lot of skills that would never see use in a Supers game. Having package deals reflecting what you need to be a cop in your secret ID, or a spy who gained superpowers, but is not a SuperSpy, in a Supers game seems like it would be useful. I doubt Barry Allan spent 25 - 50 points on his skills as a police forensic scientist.

I think that can go one step further. If I were building a spy or a cop in Dark Champions' date=' I would probably have a lot of skills that would never see use in a Supers game. Having package deals reflecting what you need to be a cop in your secret ID, or a spy who gained superpowers, but is not a SuperSpy, in a Supers game seems like it would be useful. I doubt Barry Allan spent 25 - 50 points on his skills as a police forensic scientist.[/quote']

Touching on this issue - How about some advice and possible examples on campaign scope, and in some respect, the scope of scenarios and story arcs like:

• Local superheroes, protecting the neighborhood or city (leaning more to a Dark Champions-like selection of abilities, for Daredevil/Batman types, not necessarily based on lower points); Nighthawk-like concepts in groups; local-level crime concerns
  • National superheroes (stereotypical Champions-like groups); the default superheroic group, but notes on how they relate to other scopes, or could be modified to other campaign scopes; national-level crime, disasters, threats and other concerns
  • International superheroes (higher-powered groups like Marvel's Avengers or DC's Justice League); travel and mobility issues, extended access to fantastic equipment, international-level threats, large natural disasters and similar concerns
  • Interplanetary/interstellar/galactic superheroes (some groups like the Fantastic Four often deals with issues at this level); Galactic Champions would probably be outside the scope of the Champions book, but as the source literature often comes into contact with these levels of scope and power, notes on how they relate to each other in a SHRPG could be informational

Guidelines to how different abilities, skill selections and different power levels can be useful in these different scopes.

Most existing campaigns probably try to mix and match these abilities and scopes (like the example Champions team), but another to categorize what a superhero team will do is by defining the campaign scope, so maybe this might be worth considering, even if just mentioning it.

As much as I HATE to say this, what I'd like to see is suggestions for kitting out characters as a TEAM rather than as individuals. I.e. this is how you build characters for an ensemble cast with, for example, specific templates commanders, strikers, tanks, and controllers. Note: I don't want to see any of these as forced roles but it would be good to see some templates so that GM's who want to run team oriented games have some place to look for guidance. I would like to see well researched and play tested frameworks for team tactics. I would like to see power examples that emphasize teamwork.

As much as I HATE to say this' date=' what I'd like to see is suggestions for kitting out characters as a TEAM rather than as individuals. I.e. this is how you build characters for an ensemble cast with, for example, specific templates commanders, strikers, tanks, and controllers. Note: I don't want to see any of these as forced roles but it would be good to see some templates so that GM's who want to run team oriented games have some place to look for guidance. I would like to see well researched and play tested frameworks for team tactics. I would like to see power examples that emphasize teamwork.[/quote']

Good answer. This would go a long ways toward making this a player must-have and ramp up sales.

And as much as I like playing the Crazy Hero, or the Jester as it's called in my gaming circle, too crazy only works if it's a solo hero. Like all of the example characters. The main reason Spider-Man wasn't in the Avengers for so long is because he is a manic wise-cracker and he hogs the spotlight. Spotlight hoggers make for bad group play.

Touching on this issue - How about some advice and possible examples on campaign scope, and in some respect, the scope of scenarios and story arcs like:

• Local superheroes, protecting the neighborhood or city (leaning more to a Dark Champions-like selection of abilities, for Daredevil/Batman types, not necessarily based on lower points); Nighthawk-like concepts in groups; local-level crime concerns
  • National superheroes (stereotypical Champions-like groups); the default superheroic group, but notes on how they relate to other scopes, or could be modified to other campaign scopes; national-level crime, disasters, threats and other concerns
  • International superheroes (higher-powered groups like Marvel's Avengers or DC's Justice League); travel and mobility issues, extended access to fantastic equipment, international-level threats, large natural disasters and similar concerns
  • Interplanetary/interstellar/galactic superheroes (some groups like the Fantastic Four often deals with issues at this level); Galactic Champions would probably be outside the scope of the Champions book, but as the source literature often comes into contact with these levels of scope and power, notes on how they relate to each other in a SHRPG could be informational

Guidelines to how different abilities, skill selections and different power levels can be useful in these different scopes.

Most existing campaigns probably try to mix and match these abilities and scopes (like the example Champions team), but another to categorize what a superhero team will do is by defining the campaign scope, so maybe this might be worth considering, even if just mentioning it.

I like those ideas, especially for the idea of each campaign scale using the same point totals to demonstrate how points can be spent in different ways.

As much as I HATE to say this' date=' what I'd like to see is suggestions for kitting out characters as a TEAM rather than as individuals. I.e. this is how you build characters for an ensemble cast with, for example, specific templates commanders, strikers, tanks, and controllers. Note: I don't want to see any of these as forced roles but it would be good to see some templates so that GM's who want to run team oriented games have some place to look for guidance. I would like to see well researched and play tested frameworks for team tactics. I would like to see power examples that emphasize teamwork.[/quote']

Absolutely. Some of my favorite early Champions products, including Strike Force and The Zodiac Conspiracy, included sophisticated team tactics, and character combinations for specific situations, like covert ops or close combat. I learned a lot from those examples.

One of the questions I hear most often from new players is how to balance opponents of different power levels, e.g. how many PCs of how many points/Damage Classes/etc. are balanced to fight a particular megavillain. I know that there can't really be a precise system, but some general guidelines would probably be welcomed.

this could be tied into my idea about how to use the membership perk in a champions game.

I should expand on that a bit, I have for years used the membership perk as a substitution for the BASE/VEHICLE perk. My system says that if you buy the membership perk at the right level for your team you get the trappings of a supergroup.

So you get a base and vehicle, both are not really combat orientated but might have some defences. Think Avengers mansion and quinjets. However if you want a private vehicle (Batjet) then you buy it as a vehicle.

this could be tied into my idea about how to use the membership perk in a champions game.

I should expand on that a bit, I have for years used the membership perk as a substitution for the BASE/VEHICLE perk. My system says that if you buy the membership perk at the right level for your team you get the trappings of a supergroup.

So you get a base and vehicle, both are not really combat orientated but might have some defences. Think Avengers mansion and quinjets. However if you want a private vehicle (Batjet) then you buy it as a vehicle.

I've actually thought about building a Team as a pseudo-character. When PCs purchase a Membership perk, they get access to everything the Team has - Reputation, Hunteds, Bases/Vehicles, whatever.

More example NPCs... even in just table format...

And some animal listing PLEASE !!!

A Hero is more succeptible to transform in animal form or have animal pet/summon, and it is quite hard to come with stats on the fly. especially you can include some common ones : Shark, sabertooth tigers, tyranosaurus, green things from outer space.

This is a genre book, so a bit more meat on the bones would be appreciated. (my opinion of beginner GM, having the 5th edition Champion already).

I'd recommend some discussion on how, in superhero fiction more than any other, the villains tend to specifically contrast or challenge the hero in some way.

For example, the man said to be the very first supervillain, the Ultra-Humanite, was built to contrast Superman in a brains versus brawn contest (this function has been taken over by Luthor, who originally was just a nut). Parasite can steal Superman's powers. Metallo is powered by Kryptonite.

The Joker contrasts Batman in chaos versus order. Two-Face depends on chance, making him hard for the World's Greatest Detective to predict. The Riddler is a compulsive narcissist who wants to out-think Batman. Clayface is a one-man mystery, and is too powerful for Bats to defeat with brute force.

Professor Zoom is the evil Flash from the future. The Turtle can neutralize the Flash's powers.

Then there's the X-Men versus the Brotherhood of Mutants, the Hellfire Club, the Friends of Humanity, and so on.

Iron Man, one of the most technologically advanced heroes in comics, has at times had to face Mandarin, a powerful magic-user.

I probably could come up with many more examples, as could many others, but this is a good general sampler.

So, the application: Do the PCs stand for freedom and liberty? Let them face a totalitarian would-be world conqueror. Do they stand for peace and security? Land some terrorists in their backyard.

Do the PCs depend on brute force to stop the bad guys? Let the bad guys be clever, using sharp tactics, military coordination, or other methods that make them hard to catch up to in the first place. Are the PCs smart but low-powered? Make the villains more powerful in terms of raw power, with some elusive weakness that the PCs can exploit.

In keeping with the Iron Man example above, if the PCs are technological masters, they may have to face a group of mystic heroes. Or imagine if a group of magical heroes has to deal with a technological mastermind who's discovered a technological way to unleash mystic menaces.

This is just a start; I'm sure a couple of entire pages could be written on the topic, though you probably won't have room to do that much. I do think it should be more than just a perfunctory paragraph or two, though -- enough to really help the GM grasp the concept, and know how to search through the Champions Villains books to find a good fit for his group. (And then, once you get to those books, you can include some kind of Appendix to further help the GM find the right kinds of groups, depending on the tone of the campaign.)

Sorry' date=' there's no way I'm wasting space in [i']Champions[/i] on animals or anything like that. We have The HERO System Bestiary for that. ;)

While I do agree with that, the idea did just spark a different one for me, so pardon me while I think out loud (or something like that considering that this is text).

I was just thinking of the TMNT, and then by extension Mutant Animals, and then by even further extension that I remember Heroes Unlimited approached supers creation from the origin angle rather than by what the powers actually are (in theory not a terrible idea, but it shoehorns character creation and IMO makes a false categorization system - super strength is super-strength for instance, whether magic or just straight-up superpower).

In any case, Champions 5e has some discussion on character origin, and I'm not sure how, but I wonder if more can be said to the effect that a player should really think about the implications of a character's origin from a mechanical standpoint.

Sorry' date=' there's no way I'm wasting space in [i']Champions[/i] on animals or anything like that. We have The HERO System Bestiary for that. ;)

Well, didn't know it existed... was there an add about it in the basic book ?

Anyway, even just one table wouldn't be really wasted space. You know, for some people it wont be 6th edition but 1st edition... and it is hard enough to start this system already, so anything that provide guidelines or examples would definitely not be "wasted space" for newcomers.