Online Fantasy HERO: Campaign genre

lensman

Re: Omline Fantasy HERO: Campaign genre

By Dark you mean Conan-like?

I'm down with Conan like. I devoured all of the original Robert E. Howard novels and after that moved on to read much of L. Sprague de Camp's additions to the mythology. And then I discovered Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books, Michael Moorcock followed and I was in for the long haul. I am a total die hard fan of Sword & Sorcery.

That said I am also a total die hard fan of the Hero Games system and as such games are few and far between, I am a beggar and beggars cannot be choosers.

Gritty' date=' grim, realistic (as much as fantasy can get I suppose...), restricted use of magic/fantastic magical beasts.[/quote']

You are a Kamarathin kind of person then.

Dark Low Fantasy

Agreed. It doesn't have to be too dark, but definitely Swords & Sorcery style would be preferred. Very few intelligent races or only human with mythical beasts, other-world dimensions, demons, dark magic and some political intrigue thrown in the mix :eg:

No cliche races like elves, dwarves or faeries, please!

Agreed. It doesn't have to be too dark, but definitely Swords & Sorcery style would be preferred. Very few intelligent races or only human with mythical beasts, other-world dimensions, demons, dark magic and some political intrigue thrown in the mix :eg:

No cliche races like elves, dwarves or faeries, please!

Indeed.

Are serpent men okay as villains?

Serpent men would be cool. Other alternatives could be ape men or insect men. Maybe a race of humans with demon blood that have minor special abilities, but also have supernatural weaknesses. Whatever you like; I'm just throwing out ideas :)

Re: Online Fantasy HERO: Campaign genre

I hate how some RPGs have most or all of their playable fantasy races better than humans (costs many CPs just to buy the elf/dwarf/whatever racial package). It's cool to have racial differences, as long as abilities are somewhat balanced with weaknesses.

I prefer there to be as many races that are weaker than humans as there are that are superior. The more CPs you have to pay to be a certain race, the more limited you are in spending your remaining CPs. This limits the number of character concepts and professions for races with high racial package costs. This is of course assuming a standard heroic-level game.

When it comes to fantasy games in general, I like High Fantasy style games. Low Fantasy, although interesting, doesn't catch my attention quite as much. Now not everything has to revolve around magic but a good dose of it is good to me. I also second the idea of gritty. The world isn't nice, and a magical world just has more to throw at you!

La Rose

As few cliches as possible, unless very well done. I'm all for high or low fantasy (my preference is somewhere between), but not MMO-level or even High Level D20 (particularly 4th Edition) commonality of Magic. I don't mind the cliched races so much (I'll play a human 90% of the time regardless of races available) On items and magic, well, a guy with a magic sword, helmet, armor, and shield? Sure. A guy with a magic sword, bracers, armor, cloak, shield, belt, shoes, helmet, mask, bow, daggers, rings, earrings, cufflinks, and leiderhosen? Scale it down a bit. :D

I'm going to have to differ with most of the people here. I'm not a fan of "grim and gritty". Many people are dealing with lost jobs or other real world problems, and there are a lot of horrible things going on in the world. I want something optimistic, and grim and gritty tends to make PCs feel that they cannot change things. The PCs may have small victories, but regardless of their actions bad things will happen to good people - frequently.

For an online game, I'd prefer high fantasy to low fantasy. You can deal with the bigger powers easier in an online game because the game is slower-paced. Plus, high fantasy tends to be less about shades of gray, which can really show things down in an online environment.

Now, high fantasy doesn't have to mean lots of magic items, or mage characters outshining everyone else. With the HERO system, you can have mundane characters with exceptional abilities, like an archer who can shoot the wings off a fly at 20 paces, or a martial artist who can paralyze a foe with a touch.

I'm going to have to differ with most of the people here. I'm not a fan of "grim and gritty". Many people are dealing with lost jobs or other real world problems, and there are a lot of horrible things going on in the world. I want something optimistic, and grim and gritty tends to make PCs feel that they cannot change things. The PCs may have small victories, but regardless of their actions bad things will happen to good people - frequently.

For an online game, I'd prefer high fantasy to low fantasy. You can deal with the bigger powers easier in an online game because the game is slower-paced. Plus, high fantasy tends to be less about shades of gray, which can really show things down in an online environment.

Now, high fantasy doesn't have to mean lots of magic items, or mage characters outshining everyone else. With the HERO system, you can have mundane characters with exceptional abilities, like an archer who can shoot the wings off a fly at 20 paces, or a martial artist who can paralyze a foe with a touch.

i can see your point