CHAMPIONS POWERS: What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Time for me to get cracking on Champions Powers, so I figured I'd start up another WDYWTS thread. Generally speaking I've pretty much got it set on what this book will contain, but you never know when someone may come up with a good idea to add to what I already have. ;)

Roughly speaking, CP breaks down into two parts:

Chapter One: Take the USPD. Add in the powers from USPD2. Season with a few extra powers cherry-picked from the various Ultimate books. Possibly add in some text from Chapter Two of UEP (though the best of that stuff already made it into 6E2 and the APG). Roast over open flame, serve when hot.

Chapter Two: Take all the powers from Champions Online. Write 'em up in HERO System terms. I may add in a few conversion notes and such, but generally speaking I don't think that's likely to be useful and don't plan to emphasize it.

Extra Bonus Feature!: coupon for one (1) slice of chocolate cake! :D

There ya go. That's pretty much it. Now to start collating powers and converting, converting, converting....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAMPIONS POWERS: What Do *You* Want To See?

Yeah, I think that, mostly, just converting everything from the USPDs with liberal imports from the Ultimate books should -- make that would -- cover just about everything.

I'm also especially interested in seeing several applications of the Possession Power from APG, especially in the Cyberkinesis and Mental Powers sections. In fact, I'd like to see at least two or three examples of every Power and Power Modifier in both 6E and APG (not that I'm asking for much, you understand).

An occasional entry for "third-rate" heroes (like the Inferior Five, the Legion of Substitute Heroes Auxiliary, or the heroes in the animated Tick's universe) might be nice too -- comical side effects, limited utility, and so forth.

(I had been thinking to suggest that the book be split into two or more volumes, but I think you probably have a better handle on how to manage that than I ever could.)

Something I'd like to see is a sample write-up for the new Projection-based astral form complete with builds of the suggested Invisibility, Life Support, and Movement powers that should go with. It's a pretty frequently-seen power in comic book mentalists, mystics, and the like so it would seem worthwhile to have a published model for superheroic players to build from. (I'm grateful that it's no longer standard to build that power as 140+ active point Duplication that won't fit inside any reasonable framework; I'd just like to see an example of how the Limitations on the assorted components should correspond to one another.)

Something that would be nice to include for an example defense power would be defenses that are used to substitute for other abilities. One example I liked from Champions was to use Armor to simulate an "Artful Dodger" abilitiy to avoid damage instead of a high DCV.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing how all the MMORPG abilities translate into Hero. Will the adders available for different powers also be included along with the base powers?

I for one would be pleased to see the UEP energy spectrum and sfx interactions from chapter 2 included in the Champions Powers book, if it's not too much of a space-hogger.

I definitely second the calls for Possession and especially the new standard forms of Projection.

New Powers: the use of APG ideas like CE for inflicting temporary Complications would be interesting to see variations on.

Oh, and where can I pick up the cake later? :)

I for one would be pleased to see the UEP energy spectrum and sfx interactions from chapter 2 included in the Champions Powers book' date=' if it's not too much of a space-hogger. [/quote']

I agree that the TUEP Energy SFX rules should make it into the book.

I think that an easy way to save space is to only mention the SFX interactions that are special.

A reader does not need to read about all of the SFX that the SFX in question does not specially interact with.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing how all the MMORPG abilities translate into Hero. Will the adders available for different powers also be included along with the base powers?

Certainly -- all that stuff is part of the MMO's basic powers structure and needs to be included for complete coverage.

Something that would be nice to include for an example defense power would be defenses that are used to substitute for other abilities. One example I liked from Champions was to use Armor to simulate an "Artful Dodger" abilitiy to avoid damage instead of a high DCV.

Those sort of abilities aren't really what CP is about. It's about pure superpowers -- no gadgets, no spells, no martial arts abilities, no "super-skills," etc., etc. Most of those subjects are being, or will be, covered in other books (such as HSMA for martial arts abilities).

I would like a write up of different magic spells that are generally more complicated than normal mutant powers. Like summoning weapons for a brief time or infusions or a mobile alchemy laboratory.

Even comic book magic (like you'll find in TMW) is beyond the scope of CP, so anything more complicated than that is even moreso. ;)

I for one would be pleased to see the UEP energy spectrum and sfx interactions from chapter 2 included in the Champions Powers book, if it's not too much of a space-hogger.

On the whole, it's too much of a space-hogger. I might have a few excerpts (aside from the ones already carried into 6E2), but I think revisiting those rules as a whole will have to wait for some future APG.

How about each power rated for its Grittiness, Realiam, and Preferred Genre

None of them are Realistic, none of them are Gritty, and they're all for the Superheroes genre. That's pretty much it. ;)

On problem I had with the original USPDs is that the power level for "default" versions was all over the map. I think it would work best to go to the Character Ability Guidelines Table (6E1 35) and make sure most if not all of the default versions are about in the middle for a Standard Superheroic game: 60 Active Points. "Low-powered" versions would then be 40 AP, and "High-powered would be 80 AP (and you could have the occasional "Very High-powered" for 100 AP). Some abilities just won't quite work with that standard, but that should be the general rule.

Also, don't be afraid of half-dice and extra pips, and similarly unusual features, for Powers with certain Advantages to make them fit the numbers. For example, a 5d6-1 AVAD (24 base points with a +1 1/2 Advantage) fits a 60 AP game quite nicely, as opposed to 4d6 (50 points) or 5d6 (62 points), so go with that. This will help make it feel more like the powers are in a "continuum" of powers rather than fixed levels. :)

This may be beyond the scope of the book but if the powers are broken down into categories like Fire, Ice, Time, Gravity ect... I'd like to see a sample starting character built around that theme. Not necessarily with direct ports of powers but with build notes such as for this character the powers X Y and Z fit perfectly powers A and B were close to what I wanted for the theme so I modified them in this way to bring them in line with the background story and feel of their other powers.

On problem I had with the original USPDs is that the power level for "default" versions was all over the map. I think it would work best to go to the Character Ability Guidelines Table (6E1 35) and make sure most if not all of the default versions are about in the middle for a Standard Superheroic game: 60 Active Points. "Low-powered" versions would then be 40 AP' date=' and "High-powered would be 80 AP (and you could have the occasional "Very High-powered" for 100 AP). Some abilities just won't quite work with that standard, but that should be the general rule.[/quote']

I'd like to second this request. It would be really helpful to newer players by being able to reference pre-built examples that fit into Standard Superheroes and alternative power levels that go up and down from there. It would dovetail nicely into the main Champions book.

It's also occurred to me that Talents (such as Environmental Movement and the various "exact measure" Talents) don't really need full-fledged entries like the Powers -- in most cases they can just be stuck into a Sidebar on the first page of each section, with a notation that these would be appropriate Talents for a person with this type of superpowers.

Today's random fact: in the USPD and USPD2' date=' the term "Energy Blast" was used a total of 522 times.[/quote']

That would mean that if "Blast" is used as many times in Champions Powers, a total of 3654 spaces are saved because of the name change? :)