My Heroes Have Always Been GIANTS! (Long)

Logan D. Hurricanes

Re: My Heroes Have Always Been GIANTS! (Long)

I always thought is was funny that he claimed his power was actually shrinking (he's naturally huge). :thumbup:

Isn't his power technically Shrinking though? I thought he gets bigger if he's knocked out... (Trigger for Growth' date=' since actually giving him Shrinking probably screws things up)[/quote']

This was only in the "Threeboot" version of the team (the Mark Waid > Tony Bedard > Jim Shooter series). In all prior (and the upcoming future) incarnation of the book he was a regular Earth-born human who acquired the power to grow due to "exposure to weird radiation".

This was only in the "Threeboot" version of the team (the Mark Waid > Tony Bedard > Jim Shooter series). In all prior (and the upcoming future) incarnation of the book he was a regular Earth-born human who acquired the power to grow due to "exposure to weird radiation".

The Micro Lad version of Gim Allon has what is arguably the best origin in comics today :D

CB32.jpg

With Paul Levitz coming back to Legion soon though we don't know what is going to happen to characters like Colossal Boy that have had such big changes.

The Micro Lad version of Gim Allon has what is arguably the best origin in comics today :D

CB32.jpg

With Paul Levitz coming back to Legion soon though we don't know what is going to happen to characters like Colossal Boy that have had such big changes.

This would be a fun way to build a Growth Brick in Champions I think. Build him or her without Growth at a permenantly Giant Size, then throw in Shrinking. I just may give it a go sometime.

This would be a fun way to build a Growth Brick in Champions I think. Build him or her without Growth at a permenantly Giant Size' date=' then throw in Shrinking. I just may give it a go sometime.[/quote']

Did this version of the character grow when knocked out at 'normal human' size?

If not, it'd be easier and cheaper to just build it with Growth + 0 End & Persistent and just call it sfx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I read this article and immediately thought of this thread.

Obviously, if one is going for a touch of realism, all the problems presented with scaling can be addressed and solved some how. And in so doing, one can probably come up with new and interesting powers, abilities and complications :)

The Biology of B-Movie Monsters

I read this article and immediately thought of this thread.

Obviously, if one is going for a touch of realism, all the problems presented with scaling can be addressed and solved some how. And in so doing, one can probably come up with new and interesting powers, abilities and complications :)

The Biology of B-Movie Monsters

yeah, yeah, yeah, the old "square-cube" problem (strength is an area function, mass is a volume thing, so doubling height quadruples strength but octuples mass; plus there's overheating issues for scaled up animals, too)--I'd just handwave and babble something about "carbon nano-fiber" ;)

yeah' date=' yeah, yeah, the old "square-cube" problem (strength is an area function, mass is a volume thing, so doubling height quadruples strength but octuples mass; plus there's overheating issues for scaled up animals, too)--I'd just handwave and babble something about "carbon nano-fiber" ;)[/quote']

I have sometimes suggested (depending on campaign setting) that every creature exists in more than the four perceptible dimensions. Otherwise, how does a character with growth (or density increase) accumulate extra mass when he grows? Where does the extra mass go when a shrinking character shrinks? Well, it goes to (or comes from) some adjacent dimension where it remains available by whatever principle (SCIENCE!) that allows it to come or go as required.

That's pretty much how Pym Particles work. They shunt/ pull mass from another dimension.

In fact, that's IIRC the default Marvel way of handling growth/shrinking/density manipulation. (The mass for density increase has to come from somewhere, too, after all; a character altering only his or her density while keeping mass constant would necessarily end up shrinking or growing as well.)

Doesn't really explain why that mass is in that conveniently accessible other dimension in the first place, of course, or why it always automatically matches whatever it needs to be applied to, or why it shifting back and forth like that seemingly at random (that is, as needed by the character in question and/or the plot) never seems to incur any unexpected side effects whatsoever. It's Handwavium at its finest. ;)

• 4 months later...

Here's a real life giant:

[ATTACH]36897[/ATTACH]

I wrote this up and didn't know where else to put it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary asks, where could you fit something like that?

• 1 month later...

Someday I need to get back to this project. I've got 3 half-completed essays going, but my 15 point Psych Lim: Easily Distracted is hard to overcome.

Here's an interesting coincidence I ran across: a few months ago I discovered a group in deviantArt dedicated to giantess fetish art. It was started the same month I posted this. Freaky, huh?

Rule 34?

Giantesses seem to be a fairly popular fetish, actually. At least, that's what I hear. :whistle:

Lucius Alexander

Doesn't apply to palindromedaries

Fortunately, I made the roll on my Psych Lim: Curiosity so i won't try to disprove this.