Predators vs. Military

Yansuf

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Predators vs. Military

I think .30-06 AP rounds' date=' fired in controlled 2-3 round bursts, would be sufficiently powerful at close distances to at least stun a Pred with a direct center of mass hit. That's pretty much the biggest military round you could hit them with, outside of .50 cal. Create a weapon that's a cross between the ACR/OICW and a BAR, and you've got a real beast of a combat rifle. Give the troops some clothes that reduce their heat signatures, and give them headgear that enables them to detect the PReds at close range, and they've got more of a fighting chance.[/quote']

Then the trick is to get the Predators at close range.

Well' date=' nobody cheats better at warfare than humans. We're nasty, ruthless little buggers when we need to be. We'd figure out what their weaknesses were, then exploit them mercilessly.[/quote']

That could work for awhile. But, then it comes down to how well Predators can learn to realize their exposed weaknesses and adjust.

That, I find plausible :)

Although more likely we will come to some peaceful accomodation with the Predators, change government and completely renege on everything said, catching them by surprise.

[edit]

Not only that the majority of the populace will denounce the reneging to such an extent it may even confuse the casual observation of our society by the Predators.

Dude, when observing our society I get confused half the time.

I suppose another question would be, assuming we were able to recover some of their stuff, how difficult it would be, and how long it might take, to reverse engineer their tech and weaponry. The other question would be how long it takes them to travel from their home system to here. The interesting thing is that, since all our tech is inferior, they gain nothing from seizing our tech, but they have to work their butts off to make sure we don't get our hands on theirs. Because if we do, and we've got time, we'll probably figure out how at least some of it works...and build our own versions.

...I'm not sure why I'm bothering but the "lose a city" argument is a false start. That's a tac nuke. Yes, it's devastating, but each one would probably take out just a couple of blocks.

Still unacceptable, of course.

Predator ships for the win. However, if for some reason the ships aren't in the equation, and the humans are taking the threat seriously... I side with the humans.

Predators would win the war for one simple reason. They control the high ground - space. They can set a ship in orbit and, even if it doesn't mount any serious weaponry, still bombard us. How? They could just drop our own orbital junk on us. :nonp:

Heaven help us if they decide to (and have the ability to) just drop the moon on us...

That's a tac nuke.

Source? That states that Predator nukes are only tac-nukes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-nuke:

"Modern tactical nuclear warheads have yields up to the tens of kilotons, or potentially hundreds, several times that of the weapons used in the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki."

Yes, it's devastating, but each one would probably take out just a couple of blocks.

You're still looking at a kill-ratio, and destruction ratio which (most likely) favors the Predators. Yes, you can quibble about how expensive it is for the Predators to come here, and that higher loses on humanity's part are an acceptable trade-off (like arguing that trading a scud for a cruise missile is favorable to the scud, because of the expense of cruise missiles). But, without real numbers to know how populous the Predator regime is, or how much of their industrial capacity is taken up by preparing ships/weapons, that's a pretty slender straw to wave around.

Predators would win the war for one simple reason. They control the high ground - space. They can set a ship in orbit and' date=' even if it doesn't mount any serious weaponry, still bombard us. How? They could just drop[i'] our own orbital junk on us.

True.

But my original statement was only considering small units. Since we have no idea what heavy weapons predators have (except for the spaceship mounted DEW) we cannot evaluate that; and clearly we know that armed starships against a planet that does not have armed spacecraft and/or an extensive planetary defense system is not a contest.

Nothing posted so far changes my mind on the ability of modern infantry to deal with predator "infantry", as long as the humans have individual sensors that can find and target the predators. I agree that is a big if, but I can think of several systems that might work.

If you want to speculate about space combat, try predator ship vs Sulaco, or a reasonably designed warship for that technology.

A reasonably designed ship would have many more point defense lasers at the very least.

No, that's gonna happen sooner than you suspect.

The trick is to survive being in close range long enough to actually make any kind of attack, and preferrably to survive it.

Yes, but what I meant was if the Predators get taken out enough by those close range attacks, they'd figure out another strategy.

This is fun speculation, but do keep in mind that Predators, like xenovores, Borg, or any other horrors that might pop up on threads around here ;) , are in their original movie purpose, monsters, not civilizations. They're designed with behaviors and abilities that make them terrifying to individual humans or small groups, not armies. They're not made to be beaten, they're made to be survived. Debating their reactions and capabilities beyond that, while it may make for an interesting mental exercise, is imposing a context onto them that doesn't belong, and so can't be definitively resolved.

This is fun speculation' date=' but do keep in mind that Predators, like xenovores, Borg, or any other horrors that might pop up on threads around here ;) , are in their original movie purpose, monsters, not civilizations. They're designed with behaviors and abilities that make them terrifying to individual humans or small groups, not armies. They're not made to be beaten, they're made to be survived. Debating their reactions and capabilities beyond that, while it may make for an interesting mental exercise, is imposing a context onto them that doesn't belong, and so can't be definitively resolved.[/quote']

True. So what?

Okay, let's try their minimum 'probable spaceship' vs. our current spaceships...

We set something - anything - up on the pad to launch it. They drop a 2-ton satellite on it. Whoops.

As far as a military squad vs. a Predator... wasn't that the whole basis of the first movie? Not just any random squad, but an elite squad of troubleshooter special forces types vs. one trophy-hunting Predator? And didn't the squad get it's ass handed back to them?

If it hadn't been for writer's fiat, it would have been a complete wipeout. The military simply has no chance at all, one on one. A platoon would be needed, minimum, to take one on, and I'd still give good odds to the Predator. Why? Because it can choose where and when to strike, and there is didilly-squat the platoon can do about it.