Dimensional Fun!

Steve Long

OK, folx, time for some Champions Universe brainstorming. ;)

I'm working on the "dimensions" part of CU, and I'd like to include a sidebar briefly describing a few known dimensions.

Rather than spend hours looking for ones we've mentioned, I figured I'd ask y'all, since more brainpower is better than less. ;)

So, aside from all the dimensions mentioned in THE MYSTIC WORLD, what other ones have we mentioned that you can think of? I can already think of:

Lythrum (Black Rose's homeworld)

Xloptun (Eretsun's homeworld)

The Frost Tomb (where Kigatilik was imprisoned)

The "Cosmic Axis" of dimensions that can be accessed via the Janus Key

The "Sixth Dimension" from which Tesseract got her powers

The Shadow Realm of Brangomar, the Shadow Queen

The Higher Lands, home of Baykok

Please Note Carefully: I do not want any suggestions for other things I should include in this section, including alternate Earths and other such stuff. I just want to use your memories to dredge up any existing CU canonical dimensions that have been mentioned here and there in supplements. ;)

Thanx!

Re: Dimensional Fun!

Interesting topic.

Xloptun (Eretsun's homeworld)

The Shadow Realm of Brangomar, the Shadow Queen

The Higher Lands, home of Baykok

Hmm... IIRC all those are technically divisions of Faerie, not separate "dimensions" in themselves. If such deserve distinct attention, you should consider including Ma'at, home of the Egyptian gods (including the god who shares its name), as well as the monstrous Living Sphinx (Champions Worldwide). In the CU the mythic powers of Ma'at appear to be among the more active on Earth.

The Dreamlands' date=' accessed from Ayers Rock in Australia? :confused:[/quote']

The Dreamtime, given fair detail in Hidden Lands. I'd say definitely, as the terminus of the Well of Worlds and home realm of Marmoo, if nothing else.

At least three alternate Earths are canonical.

Lancer comes from a dimension where the UN wars on Espers. The Cahokian comes from an Earth dominated by the Cahokian Empire. And Baron Nihil has found his way to the Kingdom of Saguenay, where Vikings live.

Well, Steve has mentioned he's not dealing with alternate Earths in this volume. However, technically the Kingdom of Saguenay isn't an alternate Earth, but described in Champions Of The North as a "pocket dimension." If Lythrum qualifies, Saguenay probably should as well. Similarly,

The one that Nebula sends criminals to?

Duress, yes. Another pocket dimension, this one even having been described somewhat in Digital Hero.

I would also recommend including Xargann, the dimension of natural shapeshifters which is the original home of the supervillainess Morph (Ultimate Metamorph and Evil Unleashed).

Perhaps I should draw attention to one reference from the online Champions Universe database, accessed from the website homepage:

Lyonesse: An extra-dimensional/underwater mystic realm located off the coast of Europe, home to (among others) the fiendish Fomorians.

AFAIK that note is the only reference to Lyonesse within the context of the DOJ-era CU, so I suppose it would be up to Steve (or maybe Cryptic Studios) whether to include it in this book or not.

Steve, would you consider the "prison dimensions" of the Kings of Edom as appropriate to discuss here? Three such are mentioned in Arcane Adversaries, with qualities that might make them useful for adventures: the Black Maze confining Vulshoth (one Vulshoth plot seed suggests a PC mission into the Black Maze); the planet Sinnuris in another dimension (resembling Earth's own), prison of the King called Pthaar, and whose inhabitants worship and serve Pthaar; and the multi-dimensional prison of Deizzhorath the Dissolver, through which the Dissolver can potentially transport people through space and time.

:thumbup:

At least three alternate Earths are canonical.

Lancer comes from a dimension where the UN wars on Espers. The Cahokian comes from an Earth dominated by the Cahokian Empire. And Baron Nihilus has found his way to the Kingdom of Saguenay, where Vikings live.

I'm planning a mini-arc involving a trip to Lancer's dysfunctional Earth. She's a fugitive from the UN's Godhead Project, which is the ultimate result of the 'psychic warfare' concept touched on in the latest Indiana Jones film.

BTW Steve, will you be defining the location of these dimensions within CU cosmology, e.g. which "world" of the Sephiroth a particular dimension resides in?

Absolutely not. I leave that to individual GMs unless I have a specific reason to define a dimension with more precision. ;)

Well, Steve has mentioned he's not dealing with alternate Earths in this volume.

Well, to be fair, I do have one small paragraph on 'em, but I don't want to get into the subject in too much detail. The canonical examples posted here are fine, since I can mention 'em if I want; I just don't want this thread to turn into people making up their own alternate Earths in the hopes I'll include 'em. I've got enough stuff to work with already, believe me. :hex:

Well' date=' to be fair, I do have one small paragraph on 'em, but I don't want to get into the subject in too much detail. The canonical examples posted here are fine, since I can mention 'em if I want; I just don't want this thread to turn into people making up their own alternate Earths in the hopes I'll include 'em. I've got enough stuff to work with already, believe me. :hex:[/quote']

Ah, okay, my misunderstanding, and my apologies to those alternate-Earth mentioners on this thread. :o I assumed alternate Earths will be dealt with in more detail in Book Of The Empress, since you suggested on another thread that that volume will have some similarities to Champions In 3-D.

In that case, I'll just mention Left-Hand Earth, where people are majority left-handed as well as the ethical opposites of what they are on our "Right-Hand Earth"; and the pocket dimension called Doorway which bridges the two, currently home to Janus (Teen Champions).

(EDIT: Doorway is intriguing in itself, described as a "spherical construct" with "dimensional technology... engines and devices"; but no mention of who built it or why.)

what was the stairway called' date=' in the crossover module Reality Storm ?[/quote']

Hmm... at first I wasn't sure this would be appropriate, given that Reality Storm was a cross-company publication. However, the Reality Storm event is described in Champions Universe: News Of The World, and the "time elemental" Entropus is mentioned both there and in 5E Champions Universe in connection to the "Secret Crisis," hence is an official CU character; so perhaps his Crystal Palace, nexus of the Timestream for all universes, should be noted in the new CU book.

Well' date=' Steve has mentioned he's not dealing with alternate Earths in this volume.[/quote']

Well' date=' to be fair, I do have one small paragraph on 'em, but I don't want to get into the subject in too much detail. The canonical examples posted here are fine, since I can mention 'em if I want; I just don't want this thread to turn into people making up their own alternate Earths in the hopes I'll include 'em. I've got enough stuff to work with already, believe me. :hex:[/quote']Anything vital along these lines (except maybe Nazi World) has probably been adequately mentioned in the main WDYWTS thread for CU anyway.

Though I personally would rather see a Text Box (rather than a short paragraph) with a bulleted list of some of the more significant and/or memorable alternate Earths.

The Dragon Mandarin refers to an Otherworld that Dr. Yin Wu keeps most of his army of supernatural followers in. It wasn't clear from the text if that was meant to be Astral Earth' date=' Faerie, or some other dimension associated with Chinese mythology.[/quote']

Interesting. Takofanes implicitly uses "pocket dimensions he created long ago" (CKC p. 34) to store his legions of monstrous followers. I could understand confining any further description of those dimensions to specific treatments of these villains, though.

Interesting. Takofanes implicitly uses "pocket dimensions he created long ago" (CKC p. 34) to store his legions of monstrous followers. I could understand confining any further description of those dimensions to specific treatments of these villains' date=' though.[/quote']

"The Book of the Undying" (or whatever it'll ultimately be called) is going to be a must-buy, some day.