Another weird science post: Laser Recoil!

Xavier Onassiss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Another weird science post: Laser Recoil!

Categorically yes, laser weapons have recoil. It's not a lot (compared to matter projectile weapons), but it's there. In fact, the easiest way to get to the famous E = mc^2 equation is through the light-recoil phenomenon.

Very true, but try explaning that to "that" player who doesn't understand even the simple things like "Why would being exposed to that much gamma radiation be harmful....the stuff just goes right through the cells!" and "It's a LASER......not like Photons actually Hit anything. It's just Light!"

~Rex

Do lasers have recoil? Of course they do. Light has momentum so conservation of momentum dictates that the laser must recoil . . . slightly. To compare the recoil of a laser pistol to a firearm, though, you should be looking at recoil energy: the kinetic energy of the gun after the shot. You could also look at the momentum of the gun, but either way, it's going to be so low as to be imperceptible.

Momentum is easier to compute because momentum is always conserved whether the collision is inelastic or not. Energy is often wasted in heating, deforming, or breaking up the colliding bodies. Well, that's not always "wasting", but you know what I mean.

I read a good description on the sound of lasers in an RPG several years ago. They're not quiet for several reasons-

Firing a laser in an atmosphere, especially a laser that is visible (as they all seem to be) - means it's interacting with the air molecules and probably disintegrating them. This creates a vacuum, in which the surrounding air will rush with a pop.

Capacitor charging - hum

Capacitor discharge - bang.

Or something like that.

There's also the sound of whatever happens to the material the laser hits.

I read a good description on the sound of lasers in an RPG several years ago. They're not quiet for several reasons-

Firing a laser in an atmosphere, especially a laser that is visible (as they all seem to be) - means it's interacting with the air molecules and probably disintegrating them. This creates a vacuum, in which the surrounding air will rush with a pop.

No, it is not "disintegrating" the air molecules. It is super-heating them, and possibly ionizing them.

Ooh! Ooh! Is there perhaps a site on the Internet where I can go to find a little more of this fascinating additional information about the Star Wars universe?

At http://www.stardestroyer.net you can read about it for hours and hours and hours. Uh...if you really want to.

Have fun. awing.gif

While the posts that say "yes" are correct' date=' in practice it would take an absurdly high powered laser to get enough recoil to be a problem to the firer.[/quote']

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3c2.html

Photon: PHOTON DRIVE. The exhaust is not a stream of matter. Instead it is a beam of electromagnetic radiation, basically a large laser. The advantage is that it has the maximum possible exhaust velocity and thus the highest specific impulse. The disadvantage is the ludicrously high power requirements.

The momentum of a photon is p = E/c, where E is the energy of the photon. So the thrust delivered by a stream of photons is ∂p/∂t = ∂E/∂t/c . This boils down to:

F = P/c

P = F * c

where:

F = thrust in Newtons

P = power in joules

c = speed of light in a vacuum (3e8 m/s)

In other words, one lousy Newton of thrust takes three hundred freaking megawatts!!

Hey! No blasters! And your droids' date=' they'll have to wait outside, we don't server their kind here.[/quote']

Which raises the question "What do you serve droids in a bar?" Y'know, considering they don't eat or drink.

(I fixed your typo for you Susano)

Which raises the question "What do you serve droids in a bar?" Y'know, considering they don't eat or drink.

(I fixed your typo for you Susano)

They don't eat or drink, but take up space that could be holding a paying customer, so they're not welcome. Although it is weird that he'd phrase it that way since there is no way to serve a droid.

They don't eat or drink' date=' but take up space that could be holding a paying customer, so they're not welcome. Although it is weird that he'd phrase it that way since there is no way to serve a droid.[/quote']

There are so many ways to make a terrible pun on 'serving a droid' that...nah, I won't go there. ;)

That said, if I'm a grungy barkeeper in a run-down spaceport in just about any setting, "we don't serve your kind here" is probably one of my stock phrases already. And if it's good enough for rabble of the actual-people kind, it's more than good enough for some effin' machine.

Hrmph. Dang edumacated kids these days, always goin' on about this 'Seaman Ticks' fella...