Those Meddling Kids...

brionl

What do you guys think of a campaign type based on the Hanna Barbara cartoons of the 70s? Scooby Doo, Jabberjaws, Josie and the Pussycats (J&tP in Outer Space). I'm sure there are a couple more I'm forgetting too.

Important tropes:

4-5 Teenagers

Animal Mascot

The Van (submarine, spaceship, etc)

Hijinks

A heroic level campaign, probably just normals and buying equipment for money. You would probably want to stretch each episode over a couple of sessions.

Re: Those Meddling Kids...

The campaign premise is fine. The question is your players. The hijinks-filled teen campaign is not for every group. The trope does mesh very well with RPG mechanics though. It's an ensemble group, so fine with multiple players. You can have episodes, longer story arcs, continuing themes, character development. All the good stuff.

I don't think my group would enjoy it, but YMMV.

I don't have a group in mind for this, just noodling ideas. Maybe a one-off convention game.

You also you need to have the correct characters. The Leader, The Goofball, The Brainy One, The Cute One, The Prima Donna, The Bad Boy, etc.

What do you guys think of a campaign type based on the Hanna Barbara cartoons of the 70s? Scooby Doo, Jabberjaws, Josie and the Pussycats (J&tP in Outer Space). I'm sure there are a couple more I'm forgetting too.

Important tropes:

4-5 Teenagers

Animal Mascot

Hijinks

A heroic level campaign, probably just normals and buying equipment for money. You would probably want to stretch each episode over a couple of sessions.

the speed bugs from speed buggy

the american championship gymnastic team from MR.T THE ANIMATED SERIES

butch cassidy and the sundance kids

Important tropes:

4-5 Teenagers

Animal Mascot

Hijinks

Just because I fel like sharing. I wrote these up for a convention game many years ago (Yes, someone got to play the dog)

Daphne Blake

Fred Jones

Norville "Shaggy" Rogers

Velma Dinkley

Scoobert "Scooby" Doo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The trick for this is definately Player Buy-In - To emulate the genre the characters need to react to situations as if they are in danger even though the players know that they probably aren't - A 'straight' Scooby Doo campaign wouldn't go very well if Shaggy got killed every other episode (Setting too dangerous) or if Fred just tackled the Monster and Ripped his Mask off in Scene 1 every other episode (Player realizing system not too dangerous and saying screw the genre)

If the players buy-in this could be awesome - if not it's a train wreck.

I do tend to drift towards the dark so I'd be far more likely to run it as a Hanna Barbara/Hannibal Lector type game - 'Zoinks' The real story of Scuba Doo and Those who Meddle. A bit like Grimms Fairy Tales before Disney :)

A 'straight' Scooby Doo campaign wouldn't go very well if Shaggy got killed every other episode (Setting too dangerous)

Unless the Shaggy character were an NPC, and his being offed was a recurring gag -- like Kenny from South Park -- but then it wouldn't be a 'straight' Scooby Doo campaign.

would a campain based on the new show UNNATURAL HISTORY fit here the show is about a teen whits skils in martial arts ,free running and track and field gained while traveliing the world,returns to the states to attend school at of all places the smithsoniam museum

would a campain based on the new show UNNATURAL HISTORY fit here the show is about a teen whits skils in martial arts ' date='free running and track and field gained while traveliing the world,returns to the states to attend school at of all places the smithsoniam museum[/quote']

Maybe. Depends on if he gets a mascot and sidekicks. His training looks like samaurai Jack's.

The Troop might fit. High school kids fighting monsters with the help of their principal.

CES

would a campain based on the new show UNNATURAL HISTORY fit here the show is about a teen whits skils in martial arts ' date='free running and track and field gained while traveliing the world,returns to the states to attend school at of all places the smithsoniam museum[/quote']

Sounds like a higher level of competence than most of the HB shows, these shows tend to be about avoiding the villian until someone figures out what's going on then captures the big bad. Players running Martial Artist Parkour Masters are likely to be a bit more confrontational - again Player buy in would be key.

I could see some interesting sidekick options from the Smithsonian - Ghost, Caveman, animate bit of whatnot etc.