Dodging Fireballs

Narf the Mouse

Evasion: +1 DCV, Affects Area Of Effect (+1/2) (7 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Very Common Circumstances (Only vs Area Of Effect; -1)

I use Affects Desolidified as the base for Affects Area of Effect. Then, I reasoned that, as Area Of Effect is only one advantage, it probable is worth -1.

So - Does it look right to you?

Re: Dodging Fireballs

Evasion: +1 DCV, Affects Area Of Effect (+1/2) (7 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Very Common Circumstances (Only vs Area Of Effect; -1)

I use Affects Desolidified as the base for Affects Area of Effect. Then, I reasoned that, as Area Of Effect is only one advantage, it probable is worth -1.

So - Does it look right to you?

If you're trying to model D&D-style Evasion (take half or no damage from AoE effects), you might look at Damage Negation, Requires a Roll.

And thus, four versions:

Evasion: +1 with DEX rolls for Dive For Cover

Evasion: +1 DCV, Affects Area Of Effect (+1/2) (7 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Very Common Circumstances (Only vs Area Of Effect; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character moves about 1d6 meters in a random direction; -1/2)

Uncanny Evasion: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Requires A Roll (DEX roll; -1/2)

Uncanny Evasion: Resistant Protection (7 PD/7 ED) (21 Active Points); Requires A Roll (DEX roll; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Does Not Add To Other Resistant Defense; -1/2)

I'm thinking "Does Not Add To Other Resistant Defense" might be worth more; not sure.

Evasion would be for dodging the fireball. Uncanny Evasion would be for casually walking out of the fireball, wisps of flame and smoke brushing off your armour.

I don't think I would ever allow a +1 DCV Only vs AoE. It just makes no sense to me.

The whole concept of AoE is that everyone within the Area gets hit (except for Selective AoE). The attacks FILLS that area. If you are in that area you get hit. The only way to avoid the attack is Desol (which kind of makes you not be in the same plane of existence as the attack) or NOT being in the Area. So +1 DCV would have absolutely no effect.

Dive for Cover is the maneuver designed to escape an AoE.

I would be ok with Damage Redux, Resistant Protection and Damage Negation if the attack had the right SFX and Limitations. In this case, an AntiMagic Shell or Magical Grounding would make effective SFXs for all those builds. In these cases, they would be good for all magical attacks and not just a Fireball.

If you want to go with Skill Levels I would suggest starting with Overall Levels and adding an appropriate Limitation (ex: Only for Defensive Actions). That way they can apply towards the DCV bonus of a Dodge, the OCV (or DCV) bonus of a Block and the Dex Roll associated with the aforementioned Dive-For-Cover movement maneuver.

*link to old 5e rules question: Dive For Cover Skill Level Question?

Okay, yeah, extra DCV vs an AOE attack does nothing; either you're in the hex or you ain't. So the way to go is to buy conditional defenses like with Combat Luck. Or give bonuses to dive for cover (though that does cost you a phase). Or you could try and do something weird like build an uncontrollable triggered teleport, but I don't know of that would even work.

You still have to be affected in an AOE attack. You have 3DCV iirc but can you not add to that?

You still have your own DCV. The hex targeted by the AoE has a DCV of 3. It seems odd that a hex suddenly becomes better at dodging.

You can Dive for Cover (out of the area), but if you are in the area, you get burned.

The D&D mechanic allows reduced damage (you manage to mitigate the damage in some way by dodging), so extra defenses, Damage Reduction or Damage Negation, all requiring a DEX roll, would seem reasonable approaches to simulating the effect.

DCV vs AOE is just an invalid construction. As a GM I usually allow No Range AOE powers to skip an attack roll all together.

Dive for Cover or defenses are the appropriate mechanism to use.

Unless maybe you bought DCV with Usable On Others and enough extra weight to encompass the entire Earth. :)

Hence' date=' the +1/2 "Affects Area Of Effect".[/quote']

Right, but lets go with that idea for a minute. You are standing there with your +1 DCV (Only vs AoEs). I standing in the hex next to you scratching my elbow. You get targeted with an AoE Radius. You are saying that the DCV of the hex is suddenly 4? How does that hex get out of the way of an attack? Lets say that the attack actually does miss this 4 DCV hex. Where does the AoE hit and what happens to me standing next to you? Do I get hit?

It just doesn't make sense on a handful of levels, and adds a whole host of special circumstances for you to have to wade through.

Of course I was thinking of AoE selective.

Actually I was going to suggest AoE NonSelective. The AoE hits everyone in the area, but the attacker must hit the DCV of every target in the area. In otherwords instead of adding a power to dodge the fireball, add a limit to all AoE spell effects that says that they must have either Selective or Non-Selective as a limitation on the spell.

Then your evasive ability writeups will work correctly.