"Normals" gaining superpowers: how would they change in terms of mentality?

Ragitsu

Re: "Normals" gaining superpowers: how would they change in terms of mentality?

Well, sure, there's lots of internal and external checks that might kick in to prevent someone from slipping so far morally as to rationalize extremely abusive uses of a newly acquired and incredibly useful superpower--empathy; innate moral, religious or ethical core principles; approval or disapproval from peers, friends, family and mentors; fear of adverse consequences; etc.

But if we liken the acquisition of a power which can produce gratifying or pleasurable results for its possessor to something like gambling or drugs or anything else with a high potential for addictive attachment and behavior around it, then I can definitely see the potential for more than 3% of the population(taken at random) to slip into supervillainy or at least "super-selfishness"/shady behavior.

Sure. Most Americans will at some point engage in criminal activity; it's just usually criminal activity with no obvious direct victims. Pirate downloading, drunk driving, speeding, cheating on your taxes, use of sex workers, use of illegal substances, petty theft (often from work), adult bullying, etc. Things we can justify and tell ourselves aren't "crimes". Superpowers that give you more opportunity to engage in "victimless" crime will probably result in people performing them more often.

I just don't see that many people putting on masks and tights and murdering co-workers or smashing into bank vaults.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. Most Americans will at some point engage in criminal activity; it's just usually criminal activity with no obvious direct victims. Pirate downloading, drunk driving, speeding, cheating on your taxes, use of sex workers, use of illegal substances, petty theft (often from work), adult bullying, etc. Things we can justify and tell ourselves aren't "crimes". Superpowers that give you more opportunity to engage in "victimless" crime will probably result in people performing them more often.

I just don't see that many people putting on masks and tights and murdering co-workers or smashing into bank vaults.

Agreed as to the former, but if the superpower lets you teleport inside the vault, grab the money and go(or shapeshift/turn invisible/whatever) and get away with the money with little to no chance of being discovered, maybe there might be a few more succumbing to that temptation. People also lie or exaggerate in order to impress people, get job offers, get laid, etc., so powers which tended to be akin to extensions of that might get used in a similar way and with similar frequency.

Excuse me? No' date=' it is not. There are no stated limits on the items.[/quote']

Is a talking cat that knows the outcome of any sporting event, past, present or future that doesn't trigger allergic reactions but does like you count as a ten pound item? (assuming you don't overfeed it) I'd totally go with that.

Agreed as to the former' date=' but if the superpower lets you teleport inside the vault, grab the money and go(or shapeshift/turn invisible/whatever) and get away with the money with little to no chance of being discovered, maybe there might be a few more succumbing to that temptation.[/quote']

Of course. "Criminal activity with no obvious direct victims". "Things we can justify and tell ourselves aren't crimes." We're talking past one another.

Is a talking cat that knows the outcome of any sporting event' date=' past, present or future that doesn't trigger allergic reactions but does like you count as a ten pound item? (assuming you don't overfeed it) I'd totally go with that.[/quote']

Not me. It wouldn't get along with my singing and dancing puppy that can predict the stock market, cook an omelet, and knows Ninjitsu.

Thank you guys for the answers so far, and for those that haven't answered, please do so!

I now need perspectives on the following powers:

6. The ability to read minds.

Might be handy, depending on how much control you have over the power. If you cannot easily turn it off... well, just imagine the most annoying, overly chatty person you have ever had the misfortune of being in earshot of and then imagine them in your head 24/7. You'd probably be chewing on a gun after a week to a month of that.

7. The ability to conjure permanent items that weight up to ten pounds.

If I had that ability, I would be constantly conjuring 10 lb. bricks of gold. Never need to work for a living again.

8. The ability to regenerate from even mortal wounds and ignore illness.

If agelessness comes with it, I'll brush up on my swordsmanship. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. The ability to teleport (closely related to flight, but it differs significantly).

Much more practice than flight. The key is to make sure you 'port yourself into some nice private place you can come out of without drawing too much attention (the appropriate restroom for your gender, a clothing store's changing room, etc.), to just suddenly materialize out of thin air in plain veiw of the public, bad idea.

10. The ability to selectively enhance your senses at will: see vast distances, hear ordinarily inaudible sounds, function in the dark as if it were day, track by scent, and so forth.

No more need for binoculars, nightvision goggles, or evesdropping devices; you have it all built in.

Excuse me? is that a stated limit on 'items'?

No, it's an inherent limit on the word itself. I don't care if you yank gold, plutonium, or Cheez-Its with the ability.

Though, I should have used "object" for clarity's sake.

People also lie or exaggerate in order to impress people' date=' get job offers, get laid, etc., so powers which tended to be akin to extensions of that might get used in a similar way and with similar frequency.[/quote']

if I am to have trust with my work mate,

there needs to be honesty

How about a singing and dancing Aibo that can predict the stock market' date=' cook an omelet, and knows Ninjitsu?[/quote']

Go for it, man.

Also, would it make a difference if a child got one of the abilities listed in this thread?

Also' date=' would it make a difference if a child got one of the abilities listed in this thread?[/quote']

As Jet said in an episode of Cowboy Bebop, "There's nothing more pure and cruel as a child."

Some of the abilities on the list would be dangerous enough to give to adults. A kid with those kinds of powers? The "Oh Crap" potential just skyrocketed.

mmmhhh maybe i missed something on the first few posts; btw this remind me an old discussion i had with a friend about "what's better superpower for normal life"?

1. The ability to shoot lasers from one's eyes.

i see no use safe from offensive one

and of course defensive (offense is beste defense). btw, no much an use unless it come in pair with extra senses (IR sight, telescopic sight, seeing auras, etc.)

2. The ability to see through objects (X-Ray vision).

nice and could be useful (IF i could be able to change x-ray amplitude)

you can see who's knocking at your door without standing up from couch :)

3. The ability to become invisible.

very useful for who does'nt like to be seen (like thief and voyeur) but little use for "normal people". plus i think/fear it would turn a normal guy in a thief, a spy, a voyeur or someone who can abuse it's power.

and of course you need some train (and luck) to avoid being hit by car and people passing by

if it come with desolidification too (and a little hover), could be veeeeeeeeeeeery useful but, still, would be a great temptation to become rogue or pervert...

4. The ability to fly under one's own power.

Fly uber alles!!

this is the best power i could think, right balance between fun and use. you can use it to go work, to go shopping and like with little effort (1)

teleport you mean? teleport is'nt for trip; is for reaching point B from point A. But if you like a voyage, fly is the best.

ever and ever :)

(1) you know, i drive for 30 km every day, i spent 1 hour doing this. with flying, i could travel straight (that's less than 5-6 km) and no queue... :)

5. The ability to alter luck to their benefit.

mmmhhh

you could do everything but you can't really control this thing xD

6. The ability to read minds.

it reminde me of Earshot (episode 3x18 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer) or Greeks Bearing Gifts (episode 1x07 Torchwood); discovering what people think is not wonderful xD

plus, if it come with a mind control you'll get tempted every secs

7. The ability to conjure permanent items that weight up to ten pounds.

how would work? conjure items as i like or something i already have?

very useful for lazy people (you can get your beer without standing up fro couch!!! :) )

8. The ability to regenerate from even mortal wounds and ignore illness.

in this case i'll try everything like bungee jumping, skydiving, or i'll run naked at night in very cold winter.

ok not the latter one

btw it could be veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery nice and useful but think you'll get bored fast.

if it come with a sensibility loss, it would be a curse

plus, "who whant to live forever" (thanks Freddie). If you'll be immortal, soon you'll get sad while your friends all go old and die and you are forever young :\

9. The ability to teleport (closely related to flight, but it differs significantly).

i'd like more flight

a fast enough/low tiring flight is useful like a teleport in short range but with fly you can also simply "enjoy the trip"

with teleport you can go instaneously from home to work but you cant simply follow the river under you, you can't hover seeing the landscape or spitting in top of car blocked inside car traffic :)

if it come with manipulation of time and space could be fun but really really really dangerous; and of course will whipe every coherence in your campaign

[unless you travel with David Tennant in a Blue Box (where i could sign for it? :D )]

10. The ability to selectively enhance your senses at will: see vast distances, hear ordinarily inaudible sounds, function in the dark as if it were day, track by scent, and so forth.

i'd like it

but what use?

of course could be useful... but... not like flight u.u or regeneration/immortality...

1]

lasers in general don't transmit tremendous amounts of energy

laser can cause blindness

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

laser produced tightly focused coherent light waves

the coherent waves reflected off objects will produce patterns that contain it's dimensionality

lasers are used to produce holograms

laser are good for targeting

if the laser was intense enough to do damage

they would are precision cutter of sheet mettle and surgery

a normal with laser might also be an artist

Is a talking cat that knows the outcome of any sporting event' date=' past, present or future that doesn't trigger allergic reactions but does like you count as a ten pound item? (assuming you don't overfeed it) I'd totally go with that.[/quote']

Not me. It wouldn't get along with my singing and dancing puppy that can predict the stock market' date=' cook an omelet, and knows Ninjitsu.[/quote']

I don't refer to living beings as "items" :rolleyes:.

Excuse me? is that a stated limit on 'items'?

No' date=' it's an inherent limit on the word [i']itself[/i]. I don't care if you yank gold, plutonium, or Cheez-Its with the ability.

Though, I should have used "object" for clarity's sake.

Ahem *.robot kitty (or doggy)

I'm running a campaign where this happens, "Psycological Complication:Overconfident" is common.

1. Depends on the lazer. I'm of the opinoin that eye beams occupy your eyes temporariy, seeing as to how most of them are bright. So in my view, you can't see well while your lazers are going. Industrial use is great, but fighting with a power that temporarily blinds you can be hard.

2. Amplifiable, this is awesome. You could figure out the problem with anything without having to take it apart, seee what's in anything, etc. If it's a set setting, this is less cool. If it's actaul X-Ray vison, this is limited to medical use or finding weaker bones in a fight.

3. Invisiblity is open to all kinds of abuse, but regular mischief would get old fast. For Recon or Espianoge, this would be very useful.

4. To make flying cool, you need some secondary superpowers. Keeping skin on your face and air in your lungs is important. If you don't want to wear goggles, probably something to keep your eyes open too.

5. I have a PC with this power, he's addicted to gambling. You would be too, if you won all the time.

6. This is a mixed blessing; sometimes complete honesty really sucks.

7. Conjure from nothing? Or like teleporting objects? The former can make you quite rich, the latter makes it so you may never have to leave the house. Ten pounds of Groceries at a time, right in your hands.

8. That didn't go too well for Wolverine, what with the experiments and all. Personally, I'd be a stuntman, or the aforementioned Highlander.

9. I had a villian with this, he was a bank robber. Theft is the most practical thing I can think of with this power, and it remeinds me of the Chrono troopers from Red alert.

"Without a Trace".

10. This is neat but not awesome. You could be a great spy or scout, but it's not the same caliber as Regeneration or Teleportation.

3. The ability to become invisible.

very useful for who does'nt like to be seen (like thief and voyeur) but little use for "normal people". plus i think/fear it would turn a normal guy in a thief, a spy, a voyeur or someone who can abuse it's power.

and of course you need some train (and luck) to avoid being hit by car and people passing by

This one is pretty much the power everyone wants, but few know what to really DO with.

This one is pretty much the power everyone wants' date=' but few know what to really DO with.[/quote']

There's not really all that much legal most people could do with it. Might be good for a PI, soldier or cop, and fun for avoiding people you don't want to deal with. After that, it's all about the voyerism and crime (petty or otherwise). Might be some industrial uses if it ties into things like radiation resistance, or you could become a professional research subject.

There's not really all that much legal most people could do with it. Might be good for a PI' date=' soldier or cop, and fun for avoiding people you don't want to deal with. After that, it's all about the voyerism and crime (petty or otherwise). Might be some industrial uses if it ties into things like radiation resistance, or you could become a professional research subject.[/quote']

Do you include "visiting monuments/historical sites after hours" as part of the crime ;)?

Do you include "visiting monuments/historical sites after hours" as part of the crime ;)?

Sure, you're trespassing. Petty crime. :)

Almost all of us are criminals eventually. We just tell ourselves that our crimes aren't "really" that bad.

Sure, you're trespassing. Petty crime. :)

Almost all of us are criminals eventually. We just tell ourselves that our crimes aren't "really" that bad.

Well, i'd argue that rules on petty crimes are in place to prevent an escalation of illegal activity from those that do not know better, and that those who actually gain wisdom learn how to tell the (sometimes) subtle differences.

But...that's a debate for another topic.