Blowing Up Prootwaddles, or Character Self-Destruction

Re: Blowing Up Prootwaddles, or Character Self-Destruction

Anyway' date=' this discussion isn't completely meaningless. I've considered building hardpoints on fighter jets with Summon, and the bombs/missiles as the summoned beings. Naturally, they would be destroyed when they hit their target (like the prootwaddle).[/quote']

Bah! That's ridiculous!

...They're Expendable Focus Vehicles.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway' date=' this discussion isn't completely meaningless. I've considered building hardpoints on fighter jets with Summon, and the bombs/missiles as the summoned beings. Naturally, they would be destroyed when they hit their target (like the prootwaddle).[/quote']

I've had the same issue with nuclear-pumped X-ray laser warheads, but decided to build them using Charges that never recover.

In the very old days of The Fantasy Trip, I came up with the idea of the Exploding Prootwaddle. Now Prootwaddles were the single stupidest RPG fantasy race ever created -- literally. They were barely sentient mentally and had trouble communicating. The Exploding Prootwaddle is a Prootwaddle magically converted into a living bomb. When struck, it exploded like a keg of gunpowder. And because it was so stupid, it acted as though it had no clue it was a bomb. When the Prootwaddle exploded, it was utterly destroyed and the luckless guy who's struck the blow took the blast point-blank.

Of course, logically tripping over its shoelaces or having the door hit its backside on the way out of the room would have the same effect....

Nobody would want to play a Prootwaddle PC under normal circumstances, and especially not one prone to self-detonation at the slightest impact. So how do you build an NPC that will, under certain clearly defined circumstances, self-destruct -- possibly resulting in damage to people and things in their vicinity. How big a Limitation on an Explosion attack is having it automatically obliterate the user to the point that even resurrection magic or super-science can't save him? Especially if it's involuntary?

They sound like a critter from the Macintosh FPS Marathon. The "normals" were named Bob (yes all of them) and all they did was run around and get in the way of you killing the aliens. Deep enough into the levels, the aliens create a cloned Bob that has one little addition. If the Bob gets too close to a human, it explodes. They also explode when fired opon or it takes any damage. One could tell an Exploding Bob from a regular Bob by behavior. Exploding Bobs always make a beeline for you the Human (or in later games any Helper Bobs you gain). Yeah the explosion was enough to insta-kill you the PC.

So I could see this as something one could use during an alien invasion scenario in Champions or a heroic level modern game. The aliens land and they release a large number of captives. Some are real captives (who were tagged with pheromones that the exploders won't key on), and some are the explosive clones. The only way to tell is by some minor thing or perhaps using another sense like IR or Smell.

The Exploding Bobs could have enough intelligence(Like a Dog)to Identify targets and move toward them. On reaching the target a biochemical reaction due to excitement the chemicals mingle in it's explosion organ causing a huge explosion and a litter of body parts everywhere. To make it more evil have the explosion be the way that they spread (basically like an explosive Zombie plague). The way to prevent the explosion is to tranquilize the "bob"

Basically true evil from the GM...

I agree with presidigitator that the Power should belong to the character who enchanted the Prootwaddle. But I'd make it a Triggered RKA Explosion with No Range.

After reading his point, I would have to agree as well that the Explosion power is from the Enchanter. But the creation "process" could be just the SFX of a Summon that requires one live (un-enchanted) Prootwaddle as a "sacrifice". And it summons ... a Prootwaddle with a special Multiform. ;)

I agree with presidigitator that the Power should belong to the character who enchanted the Prootwaddle. But I'd make it a Triggered RKA Explosion with No Range.

Good point. They aren't exactly sentient, so the creature could just be considered a physical manifestation of the Trigger, too. Either way.

I had a Champions game where one of the villains created robots bombs that were designed to rush over to a character, grab on, and explode. The grab part served two functions - first it allow the robot to position the charge for maximum damage on the target, and second it gave the PCs a dramatic extra PHA to try and remove the bomb. It was built as 1d6 RKA Explosion, requires Grab, and a 3d6 RKA Explosion, adds to first RKA, Triggers when bomb-bot takes 3+ BDY. Both had the limitations of 1 charge and bomb-bot takes maximum damage from blast. Of course I am not sure why anyone would want to play a bomb-bot any more than a Prootwaddle, but the bomb-bots were a lot of fun so I thought I would throw it out there.

Then there was the vending machine in the dungeon that sold bottles of Dr. Proot. Drink it, and for a brief time you became a Prootwaddle.

Next to it was an Orca-Cola machine, too.

Then there was the vending machine in the dungeon that sold bottles of Dr. Proot. Drink it' date=' and for a brief time you [u']became[/u] a Prootwaddle.

Next to it was an Orca-Cola machine, too.

Now if you were to see those in a video-game dungeon they would be part of solving one of the puzzles on the level -- the door will only admit a prootwaddle until opened from the other side, for example. In a tabletop RPG, it can get away with just being there to tick the players off.

Now if you were to see those in a video-game dungeon they would be part of solving one of the puzzles on the level -- the door will only admit a prootwaddle until opened from the other side' date=' for example. In a tabletop RPG, it can get away with just being there to tick the players off.[/quote']

Or additional resources. Humourous ones, too.

"Ok, we need a spy in the Orc camp. Any ideas?"

But really, are they any sillier than RuneQuest Ducks? Most of the monsters in Gamma World? Or, heck, the entirety of The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen RPG by Hogshead Publishing?

But really' date=' are they any sillier than [i']RuneQuest [/i]Ducks?

Given everything that has happened with Ducks since they originally appeared, I'd say yes. Prootwaddles don't really serve a function in the campaign -- not that TFT was ever successful enough commercially to get bery much background material released for it. And ducks can be legitimately funny when played correctly, while there's not much you can do with a Prootwaddle PC.

To play a RuneQuest duck properly' date=' do you have to do all your in-character talking like Donald Duck?[/quote']

Probably not, especially if you take the game's source material seriously. Even if you want to be silly, I'm sure Daffy will do just fine. Broos are dethpicable.

Oh, and speaking of an exploding character... I've done it as a Triggered No Range RKA with AOE: Explosion, 1 Charge, Never Recovers, and the Side Effect of Character Takes Full Damage. Since you get no defense against Side Effect damage, it'll pretty much kill the character if you buy the right amount of RKA dice.

I wonder if anyone would object to a Prootwaddle Package Deal for Fantasy HERO? Not necessarily desirable as a PC (as an INT score of 6 or 7 has limited player appeal) but might be interesting background flavor. And of course they're fun to watch blow up.

I wonder if anyone would object to a Prootwaddle Package Deal for Fantasy HERO? Not necessarily desirable as a PC (as an INT score of 6 or 7 has limited player appeal) but might be interesting background flavor. And of course they're fun to watch blow up.

It's true; I can't see anyone wanting to play a Prootwaddle. But if I had a PC in a campaign with Prootwaddles as an NPC race, I'd strongly consider taking Weapon Familiarity: Prootwaddle Tossing! (And a whole lot of Prootwaddle followers.)

It's true; I can't see anyone wanting to play a Prootwaddle. But if I had a PC in a campaign with Prootwaddles as an NPC race' date=' I'd strongly consider taking Weapon Familiarity: Prootwaddle Tossing! (And a whole lot of Prootwaddle followers.)[/quote']

*Counters with Throwing Badgers*