The Rockford Files

Steve

Re: The Rockford Files

he was a fast talking PI. He never seemed to do more than point a gun an adversary. He would punch someone, but you could tell it hurt his hand to do so. So basically a good presence, tons of presence skills. He was a demon driver behind the wheel of his early 70's Firebird. He also had a ton of contacts/friends who would help him out. He also seemed to always have the right business card for whatever role he was supposed to be playing. One of the fansites mentioned that he had an offset press in the backseat of his firebird. seems kind of unlikely, and I don't remember seeing anything like that.

he was a fast talking PI. He never seemed to do more than point a gun an adversary. He would punch someone' date=' but you could tell it hurt his hand to do so. So basically a good presence, tons of presence skills. He was a demon driver behind the wheel of his early 70's Firebird. He also had a ton of contacts/friends who would help him out. He also seemed to always have the right business card for whatever role he was supposed to be playing. One of the fansites mentioned that he had an offset press in the backseat of his firebird. seems kind of unlikely, and I don't remember seeing anything like that.[/quote']

how coul he point a gun at somebody?jim rockford was on parole after being in prison for a crime he never commited

social complication parolee cannot leave los angeles without parle officers concent

hunted:ca.parole board\ LAPDnci limited geographica area

how coul he point a gun at somebody?jim rockford was on parole after being in prison for a crime he never commited

social complication parolee cannot leave los angeles without parle officers concent

I believe that he actually had received a pardon from the governor as opposed to being on parole. As I recall he keeps the paperwork for said pardon in a dresser drawer (or he did in at least one episode)... At least one source ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rockford_Files ) does say that he does not have a permit for the pistol he owns. So that could definitely be an issue to show up in game play.

-Carl-

I haven't seen that show for a while' date=' so I don't remember much about the character, except for his detective skills. Wouldn't his father count as a DNPC?[/quote']

I'd say definitely, as I seem to recall his dad often being responsible for whatever events got Rockford involved in a case/adventure. Sounds like an 11- DNPC to me. :)

-Carl-

He'd also need Forgery. He had a business card printing kit in his car' date=' so he could claim to be anyone. Very high tech at the time.[/quote']

I don't think that would qualify as Forgery. (Business cards aren't an official document, and don't have any anti-counterfeiting measures.) It might be Skill Levels with Acting or Disguise.

he was a fast talking PI. He never seemed to do more than point a gun an adversary. He would punch someone' date=' but you could tell it hurt his hand to do so. So basically a good presence, tons of presence skills. He was a demon driver behind the wheel of his early 70's Firebird. He also had a ton of contacts/friends who would help him out. He also seemed to always have the right business card for whatever role he was supposed to be playing. One of the fansites mentioned that he had an offset press in the backseat of his firebird. seems kind of unlikely, and I don't remember seeing anything like that.[/quote']

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing him making up a card in one episode, but I'm not sure which one. I guess a business card could act as a couple of levels to help with appropriate Interaction skills (or maybe just Disguise).

His father would be a DNPC as far as I could tell.

I just re-watched the pilot episode last night (which prompted my OP), and he received a pardon from the governor instead of being paroled. He has a gun, but as an ex-con he can't have a permit for it. I guess another complication would be that he has a criminal record. The pilot also said that he only took cases that were in the inactive files of the police, and that the LAPD disliked him for solving inactive cases, since it made them look like idiots. I think that limitation on the types of cases he would take was dropped during the first season.

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing him making up a card in one episode, but I'm not sure which one. I guess a business card could act as a couple of levels to help with appropriate Interaction skills (or maybe just Disguise).

I just re-watched the pilot episode last night (which prompted my OP), and he received a pardon from the governor instead of being paroled. He has a gun, but as an ex-con he can't have a permit for it. I guess another complication would be that he has a criminal record. The pilot also said that he only took cases that were in the inactive files of the police, and that the LAPD disliked him for solving inactive cases, since it made them look like idiots. I think that limitation on the types of cases he would take was dropped during the first season.

thanks steve the episode i was thinking of had him saying he was on parole whe someone handed him a riflehis repy was "sorry i'm on parole"posibly a scriptwriters error

He kept a pistol in a cookie Jar in his trailer. Even before he was pardoned he would take it out if he thought that he would need it.

Looking through the listing of answering machine messages' date=' one of them is from the Army, claiming he never returned his service automatic.[/quote']

Well, that would certainly explain how he had a pistol. I guess that is what could be called an Easter Egg.

In the US, if you receive a full pardon you are not an ex-con within the meaning of the law, it is no bar to a pistol permit in any state.

Since he was pardoned before the pilot' date=' what basis do you have for your second sentence?[/quote']

Pardon me for misremembering a show I was a fan of over 2 decades ago! I remembered Jim as being paroled and not pardoned. Oops! I'll turn in my geek card at the door.... :P

like i said eralier on a scriptwriters error caused by a misconception of the law

Also the cops didn't like Jim and Pardon or not they thought of him as an ex-con out to make the police look bad.