Ideas needed for a 600 year old hero

Tech

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ideas needed for a 600 year old hero

Hrmmm, why does every immortal want to use a sword for a weapon. Give him a S&W 500 for a weapon with fast draw and multiple clips (speed loader).

Immortal 1: "Draw your sword and we shall duel like gentlemen."

Immortal 2: "Nah, I rather just blow your head off." Takes out gun.

Immortal 1: "Hah, a gun won't kill me."

Immortal 2: "Maybe not, but then again" "it only" "has to" "stop you" "long enough" "for me to come closer."

Immortal 1: "Hah! I still" "yet live"

Immortal 2: "Not for long."

What happens if you let an immortal adrift in high earth orbit or sent him/her on a one-way trip to a hostile planet (Venus has my vote, but Mercury if you want to be extra-mean)?

It's been awhile since I've seen Star Trek. The name is familiar but I forget what that episode was about. I've lost the connection between Flint and how this pertains to the concept. Thanks. :thumbup:

Somebody already mentioned it most likely.

Flint if I remember had been an ancient soldier (Mesopotamian?) who found out he was immortal (I forget how, but I think he found out he didnt die in a battle). He had become many IDs that were famous through 6000 years. I think 2 were Merlin and DaVinci.

Eventually he had left Earth. And made a female android for himself. (too much anime for Flint?). And the poop obviously hit the fan when the android and Kirk fell in love (really Kirk gets another?). Android cant deal with the conflict over feeling for the 2 and short-circuits (what it wasnt Kirk's illogical hair that prompted it?).

At the end they discovered that since Flint left Earth he had started slowly age. So, his immortality was tied to something about Earth. Kirk was so broken about breaking the android, the Vulcan used his powers to make him forget about the whole thing.

Hrmmm, why does every immortal want to use a sword for a weapon. Give him a S&W 500 for a weapon with fast draw and multiple clips (speed loader).

Immortal 2: "Maybe not, but then again" "it only" "has to" "stop you" "long enough" "for me to come closer."

Well, my character Frosty Bob was immortal technically. And he preferred guns. Fave weapon: Mini-gun. Not quite 600 years old. At least known. He had been around since WWII, and fought in it along with Korea and Vietnam, some mercenary work between wars. Course, there was some rumors he had been around in WWI and done some gunfighting in the Old West. But, kept up in the air on the truth of that.

Anyhow, I used Healing, Damage Resistance, and LS to cover most of it. He had a decent high CON but I mainly gave him an extra bit of CON against powered females. (he'd had a tendency to flirt with pretty much any decent looking female, so you can see that he'd take some brutal beatings from some high-powered females.....and loving every second of it)

Nothing quite so intimidating as a guy walking through a D-Day like battle shrugging off bullets and firing a mini-gun indiscriminately.:doi:

Note: Trying to remember the exact reason for his immortality. I think the Grim Reaper owed him a favor or something. Something kind of stupid.

Because the first Immortal to truly break the rules would find himself hunted by all the Immortals that found out and might find himself outnumbered greatly in his final fight.

Dang we should have thought of that scenario for Frosty Bob.

Bob: Well, your friend shouldnt have brought a sword to a gunfight. shlick-shlock

Flint if I remember had been an ancient soldier (Mesopotamian?) who found out he was immortal (I forget how' date=' but I think he found out he didnt die in a battle). He had become many IDs that were famous through 6000 years. I think 2 were Merlin and DaVinci.[/quote']Born Akharin in Mesopotamia. Was the basis of the story of Methuselah. He was Solomon, Alexander the Great, Lazarus, Merlin, Leonardo da Vinci, Johannes Brahms. After that, there is no listing of who he was until the time of the Federation.

THanks, I couldnt remember all of them. A knew a couple Bible characters were past IDs. I kept thinking Moses for some reason though.

Note: Course, I always thought it'd be cool if another "ID" would have been the legendary Cpt. Flint from Treasure Island.;)

Reminds me of all the speculation in Marvel fandom about how long Logan would live if left to his own devices. I don't think even the Marvel writers know how long he's been around and what all he's done over the course of history (the metal skeleton is a relatively new development and one he initially didn't think at all welcome -- the process of acquiring it must have been unimaginably painful -- especially since it was done against his will).

I personally don't see a reason why Immortal automatically equals the Highlander saga. There could be plenty of other reasons for immortals to be around and plenty of other things for them to do. Of course immortals should be killable in any case if you utterly destroy the brain or the nervous system, so the Regeneration would be ineffective against head shots or instant disintegration or vaporization. They would not survive something like ground zero at Hiroshima. But non-brain organs would eventually grow back and wounds would close up -- perhaps not instantly, and the character might even be comatose while this process is going on. He might even be mistaken for dead with everything that implies -- being entombed alive for all time would not be fun.....

He might even be mistaken for dead with everything that implies -- being entombed alive for all time would not be fun.....

I'm reminded of what Capt Jack Harkness's old partner (Capt John Hart) did to him: took him back to about 27AD and buried him. Since Capt Jack doesn't permanently die anymore due to being "zapped" by the TARDIS core he spends about 1900 years "buried alive"....Little wonder why he acts the way he does.

probably a good source is the short lived series New Amsterdam about a cop who happens to be an immortal dutch settler who is saved by shaman of the native tribe he is massacring to find his one true love and travels down the ages changing careers and identities every ten years and uses his historical knowledge to fight crime

I had an NPC in my old Champions game whose immortality was the result of a curse. He'd been a gentleman adventurer sort originally, a contemporary and friend of Sir Francis Drake's. Plundered the wrong Heathen temple sort of thing, you know how it goes. I wanted to make sure he couldn't really "die", but that getting to that point would suck.

Some thoughts...

Extra Body (Only to prevent death) is a somewhat odd but workable way to increase your available pool of "Negative Body", if you don't want to be quite such a bullet sponge.

Body Only Damage Reduction helps leverage what Body you've bought

You really NEED some Regen w/ resurrection if you actually want to be really unkillable. It doesn't have to be at combat speed, however. 1 Body/Day, or per Month, or whatever will give you appropriate periods of "I thought you were dead" downtime. To cite some cinematic references, Dr. Who, The aforementioned Cpt. Jack Harkness, and the various Highlander Immortals all had some variation on this suite of powers, with different SFX. Above mentioned curse boy had Side Effects of some fairly long term stat drains from the curse eating his body to restore it. If he was really deep into the negatives (-30 body or so) he'd wind up looking like a famine survivor when he finally revived (with the expected physical stats)

I leveraged the "Centuries of experience doing this" element and went fairly heavy on the superskills. Precognition RSR Tactics, Lots of levels RSR Analyze, Find Weakness (Back when it still existed), Danger Sense, a few naked advantages (a naked autofire for pistols, a Riposte/Counterstrike Trigger), and a grip of Combat Skills, Massive numbers of Skill Levels, CSL's, and PSL's (including a bunch of levels w/ rapid attack). Lots of martial arts as well.

He was pretty nasty, all in all.

Reminds me of all the speculation in Marvel fandom about how long Logan would live if left to his own devices. I don't think even the Marvel writers know how long he's been around and what all he's done over the course of history (the metal skeleton is a relatively new development and one he initially didn't think at all welcome -- the process of acquiring it must have been unimaginably painful -- especially since it was done against his will).

I personally don't see a reason why Immortal automatically equals the Highlander saga. There could be plenty of other reasons for immortals to be around and plenty of other things for them to do. Of course immortals should be killable in any case if you utterly destroy the brain or the nervous system, so the Regeneration would be ineffective against head shots or instant disintegration or vaporization. They would not survive something like ground zero at Hiroshima. But non-brain organs would eventually grow back and wounds would close up -- perhaps not instantly, and the character might even be comatose while this process is going on. He might even be mistaken for dead with everything that implies -- being entombed alive for all time would not be fun.....

Yeah, I never went quite with the Highlander scenario myself. I wanted Bob to be killable (i always want an immortal to be killable by something somewhere other wise it feels boring to me) but, it would take a whole friggin lot to kill him. (especially since he was essentially just an immortal with weapon skills)

Some people dont like it much. But, I do think immortals should eventually get a bit of wacked view on life/death. It just reasonable given what they would go through emtionally. Whether it is megalomania like a lot of immortal villains. Living for the moment and taking a whole lot of chances (Bob kind of went in this one) because who cares it wont kill them. Or like C2 from Code Geass whose greatest wish was to die.

I also like the irony of that Twilight Zone episode where the guy wished to live forvever and made a deal with the devil. The devil would only take his soul if he decided to die. After ending up in prison and realizing he would spend eternity in jail, he gladly wished to die.

I'm reminded of what Capt Jack Harkness's old partner (Capt John Hart) did to him: took him back to about 27AD and buried him. Since Capt Jack doesn't permanently die anymore due to being "zapped" by the TARDIS core he spends about 1900 years "buried alive"....Little wonder why he acts the way he does.

heh, given my hangups with claustrophobia when I got dug up I would be completely bonkers.

Wasnt that like a big fear on the Highlander series. To be thought dead and to wake up buried? It seems like it was mentioned for at least one of them.

Some people dont like it much. But, I do think immortals should eventually get a bit of wacked view on life/death. It just reasonable given what they would go through emtionally. Whether it is megalomania like a lot of immortal villains. Living for the moment and taking a whole lot of chances (Bob kind of went in this one) because who cares it wont kill them. Or like C2 from Code Geass whose greatest wish was to die.

I'm inclined to agree. The character I mentioned above was a raft of mental issues. Amoral, Ennui riddled, hedonistic, reckless, and just generally messed up. Occasionally starving for an extended period can make you a bit wonky too, I imagine.

I'm inclined to agree. The character I mentioned above was a raft of mental issues. Amoral' date=' Ennui riddled, hedonistic, reckless, and just generally messed up. Occasionally starving for an extended period can make you a bit wonky too, I imagine.[/quote']

Adding a big yes to this as well. I would double the list of psychological complications.

On the other hand an insane list of skills would be justifiable as well.

and 600 years of sword play? that would grant some serious martial moves. thinkn +20 OCV/DCV with swords.

I had an NPC in my old Champions game whose immortality was the result of a curse. He'd been a gentleman adventurer sort originally, a contemporary and friend of Sir Francis Drake's. Plundered the wrong Heathen temple sort of thing, you know how it goes. I wanted to make sure he couldn't really "die", but that getting to that point would suck.

Some thoughts...

Extra Body (Only to prevent death) is a somewhat odd but workable way to increase your available pool of "Negative Body", if you don't want to be quite such a bullet sponge.

Body Only Damage Reduction helps leverage what Body you've bought

You really NEED some Regen w/ resurrection if you actually want to be really unkillable. It doesn't have to be at combat speed, however. 1 Body/Day, or per Month, or whatever will give you appropriate periods of "I thought you were dead" downtime. To cite some cinematic references, Dr. Who, The aforementioned Cpt. Jack Harkness, and the various Highlander Immortals all had some variation on this suite of powers, with different SFX. Above mentioned curse boy had Side Effects of some fairly long term stat drains from the curse eating his body to restore it. If he was really deep into the negatives (-30 body or so) he'd wind up looking like a famine survivor when he finally revived (with the expected physical stats)

I leveraged the "Centuries of experience doing this" element and went fairly heavy on the superskills. Precognition RSR Tactics, Lots of levels RSR Analyze, Find Weakness (Back when it still existed), Danger Sense, a few naked advantages (a naked autofire for pistols, a Riposte/Counterstrike Trigger), and a grip of Combat Skills, Massive numbers of Skill Levels, CSL's, and PSL's (including a bunch of levels w/ rapid attack). Lots of martial arts as well.

He was pretty nasty, all in all.

Sorry all but I'm a little rushed at the moment, so pardon me if I don't mention specific names. Someone commented about the big guys having something like 30 Body or so but then again, they also (generally) have high defenses, Stun and the like. I'm sure buying 25 or 30 Body is sufficient for my needs.

I don't need to buy Regeneration with Resurrection... I only need to buy what might happen in the campaign. ;) Still, I may well go with Regeneration.

Someone asked what was meant by him being normal. I classify anyone without innate/external superpowers as normal. A martial artist can be mind-boggling skilled but that's a skill being honed, not a superpower (I know this can be argued but I'm not going there. Heh.) I may give him some martial arts but add penetrating on them since he knows where to hit someone or perhaps make his hand-to-hand attacks Armor Piercing. Guns are just way too out-of-character. I'll be indulging myself in skills, naturally, not to mention 4 juicy Overall levels.

One thing that comes to mind is that the guy would be a walking history lesson. He's experienced things almost everyone else has only seen in textbooks. He's lived through more wars and revolutions than he can count. He may even have participated in many of them. A KS in History seems obvious for his build, and may well provide useful information to other PCs in situations where knowledge of a specific past event is important, because he was probably in it.

Guest steamteck

Lots of knowledge skills would be appropiate. check out the Ultimate skill and the APG for ideals fr cutting down skill costs. A really old immortal could be the ultimate baddass normal.

I love basically human insanely skilled immortals myself. They are a major element in two out my three prmary universes in my really long running multiverse camapaign.

Guest steamteck

Sounds like the villain of the piece to me and that's probably why not in that context.

Now if everyone is using guns its a different matter, Highlander is really really cool but its not the only template for immortals,

In my SF world there is no special proocol for engaging another immortals except they tend to be reluctant to finish each other off. Mainly because they're so few and your enemy one gday may be your ally in another century. Besides they're all related.

In my fantasy world they fight like gentleman but so does everyone else

Skills for an Immortal - Cost = 38 pts

3 - Knows Everything... - Scholar

2 - 1) History of the World: KS: World History (INT-based)

2 - 2) People of the World: KS: People of History (INT-based)

2 - 3) Major Events of the World: KS: World Events (INT-based)

3 - Traveled Everywhere... - Traveler

2 - 1) Cities of the World: CK: Cities of the World (INT-based)

2 - 2) Cultures of the World: CuK: World Cultures (INT-based)

2 - 3) Places of the World: AK: World Geography (INT-based)

20 - Worldly...: +10 with all Knowledge Skills (40 Active Points); Limited: Life Experiences (-1/2), Limited: Only to offset penalties to Knowledge Skill category level penalties (-1/2)

NOTE: Knowledge Skill category level penalties are from The Ultimate Skill/Hero System Skills

Skills for an Immortal - Cost = 38 pts

3 - Knows Everything... - Scholar

2 - 1) History of the World: KS: World History (INT-based)

2 - 2) People of the World: KS: People of History (INT-based)

2 - 3) Major Events of the World: KS: World Events (INT-based)

3 - Traveled Everywhere... - Traveler

2 - 1) Cities of the World: CK: Cities of the World (INT-based)

2 - 2) Cultures of the World: CuK: World Cultures (INT-based)

2 - 3) Places of the World: AK: World Geography (INT-based)

20 - Worldly...: +10 with all Knowledge Skills (40 Active Points); Limited: Life Experiences (-1/2), Limited: Only to offset penalties to Knowledge Skill category level penalties (-1/2)

NOTE: Knowledge Skill category level penalties are from The Ultimate Skill/Hero System Skills

Very nice simple build there. Repped