Ideas needed for a 600 year old hero

Tech

I've got a rough hero concept for a roguish type guy who fell in love with a lady, perhaps a princess. He's a lucky devil-may-care fellow. However, his lady love was transported into the future without him and he's spent centuries searching for her. Until the appropriate century came around that he knew she'd be in, he's been spending his time roaming the world enjoying it, and at times, training himself.

Why hasn't he gotten old? Perhaps a wizard did it: the same magic that hurled her into the future has tied him to her - so he cannot age or die until he finds her in the current century. He doesn't have superpowers, as such, but with many years of experience, he's not going to be easy to fight.

It's still a rough sketch but for now I'm going with 20 Dex with +4 Overall levels, 5 Speed and 30-50 Body. Any ideas for how he'll handle combat? I'll give him some martial arts but I'm not going to turn him into Jackie Chan. He'll have a sword, perhaps a rapier. As I said, I only have a rough idea so I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Thanks, all.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ideas needed for a 600 year old hero

what point total, and what genre?

Guy who acts first and hits people with a sword is not a bad combat style, just make sure you are not weaker than the other characters, or lack critical abilities (flying in a game where all combat is arial)

Good questions. Superhero genre, starting cost 350 or so. (using 5th edition)

Wealth. A relatively small amount, invested loooong ago, could have amassed quite a bit of interest / dividends. This could also lead to some high-tech toys, if you feel so inclined, or Followers (agent-level helpers), or Contacts.

If going with 20 DEX, you may want some Lightning Reflexes to help move before others.

Instead of high BODY, why not have Regeneration with Restore Limbs and Resurrection adders as part of the spell that granted him Immortality?

Watch Highlander the TV series...

I would suggest in skills, acting, disguise, forgery, history, navigation, geography.

Under perks, cover ids, contacts, wealth

Under powers, regen with resurrection and restore limbs, LS: anti aging.

I've got a rough hero concept for a roguish type guy who fell in love with a lady, perhaps a princess. He's a lucky devil-may-care fellow. However, his lady love was transported into the future without him and he's spent centuries searching for her. Until the appropriate century came around that he knew she'd be in, he's been spending his time roaming the world enjoying it, and at times, training himself.

Why hasn't he gotten old? Perhaps a wizard did it: the same magic that hurled her into the future has tied him to her - so he cannot age or die until he finds her in the current century. He doesn't have superpowers, as such, but with many years of experience, he's not going to be easy to fight.

It's still a rough sketch but for now I'm going with 20 Dex with +4 Overall levels, 5 Speed and 30-50 Body. Any ideas for how he'll handle combat? I'll give him some martial arts but I'm not going to turn him into Jackie Chan. He'll have a sword, perhaps a rapier. As I said, I only have a rough idea so I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Thanks, all.

Why not a Gadgeteer? He's studied under generations of super genius teachers, and spent decades practicing....?

Because the original question was handling combat, I'm going to go with: Be at the campaign caps for DCs, CVs, and DEF, don't let your concept make you worse than everyone else. Communicate with other players to make sure are on the same page with regards to movement (If we plan to fly places, can someone carry me?). Get your sword as an HKA, 15-20 STR, som CSLs, and I'd suggest a little regen (just because you have a large BODY score, so I expect you expect to take frequent BODY damage).

Buy up REC, that will help too.

He could have been like Flint from the original Star Trek. Possibly having been several famous persons over the last 600 years.

It's been awhile since I've seen Star Trek. The name is familiar but I forget what that episode was about. I've lost the connection between Flint and how this pertains to the concept. Thanks. :thumbup:

Wealth. A relatively small amount, invested loooong ago, could have amassed quite a bit of interest / dividends. This could also lead to some high-tech toys, if you feel so inclined, or Followers (agent-level helpers), or Contacts.

If going with 20 DEX, you may want some Lightning Reflexes to help move before others.

Instead of high BODY, why not have Regeneration with Restore Limbs and Resurrection adders as part of the spell that granted him Immortality?

I gave the Regeneration with Restore Limbs and Resurrection adders a long thought and decided against it. He can't die; not die and come back alive. But for points sake, I may leave out this part of the idea (he can't die). Still, I appreciate this idea.

I'm more looking for suggestions (like those given already) for what a skilled 'normal' could do in combat after 600 years - having lived from the medieval times to our current time.

Some of this depends on what you classify as normal, and how much you will use tech.

Throw dirt in people's eyes (flash)

Give people imparing wounds (with a little i, not to be confused with the book definition, i'm talking Minor Transform, person to wounded person (giving -2 CV))

Bolas or net (entangle)

It's been awhile since I've seen Star Trek. The name is familiar but I forget what that episode was about. I've lost the connection between Flint and how this pertains to the concept. Thanks. :thumbup:

Flint was a 5000 year old immortal who learned everything about everything that built a human robot to be his daughter.

CES

I'm more looking for suggestions (like those given already) for what a skilled 'normal' could do in combat after 600 years - having lived from the medieval times to our current time.

One thing you might consider is odd gaps in his knowledge, such as can fly real simple aircraft, but leaves any advanced electronics alone as he only learned how to fly, let's say at a WW2 level, and then circumstances never allowed him to qualify with more advanced aircraft. Or he can maintain (field strip/clean) just a few firearms (from various periods), but only those because, again because of circumstances, he never had a chance, or bothered to, learn about any other firearms.

Those Jack Of All Trades and Traveler Skill Enhancers would certainly be appropriate.

Big time master villains' BODY scores tend to top out around 30, and these are people who can get up after being punched through the wall of a bank vault. So rather than buying it up really high I'd recommend keeping it in the 13 to 20 range and taking the Regeneration option others have mentioned. A CON of 30+ might be appropriate though, as the character might have superhuman stamina as a result of whatever made him immortal, and have learned to grit his teeth and shrug off pain through long years of experience.

Hrmmm, why does every immortal want to use a sword for a weapon. Give him a S&W 500 for a weapon with fast draw and multiple clips (speed loader).

Immortal 1: "Draw your sword and we shall duel like gentlemen."

Immortal 2: "Nah, I rather just blow your head off." Takes out gun.

Immortal 1: "Hah, a gun won't kill me."

Immortal 2: "Maybe not, but then again" "it only" "has to" "stop you" "long enough" "for me to come closer."

Immortal 1: "Hah! I still" "yet live"

Immortal 2: "Not for long."

You could spend lots on flavor, if you wanted to. My take on the centuries old hero had no-tech skills like:

Combat Driving: Carts & Carriages, Riding Animals, and Wind-Powered Boats (navies need good captains)

Weapon Familiarity: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, and Siege Engines (he's been soldiering with sword, arrow, and primitive cannon for far longer than there have been machine guns and bombs)

PS: Blacksmith, Butcher, Cobbler, Farmer, Fence, Mason, Painter, etc

KS: Numerous Cultures

KS: Numerous Areas

Lots of languages