The Naming Game with twist: The Character Concept Game

Badger

Looking at the naming game thread and realizing that I sometimes think of words that would make great names for villains (well, potentially heroes too of course. But, we all know I am evil. So I think towards villains. :eg:). I figured out a new thread.

So, how about for people who a good name for a character but cant think of the right character concept for it?

Re: The Naming Game with twist: The Character Concept Game

I once posted a thread like this for a randomly-generated character name that I think is particularly cool' date=' and got some very interesting feedback for it: Who is... COUNT INFINITY?

I made a Villian who was kinda a Dieselpunk Dr Destroyer.

he was mostly a quantumdude who was obsessed whith unlocking the sephiroth of life through his mad science!

if the rps killed him he would ressurect 1d6 years into the future.

And he always had bad lines up in his sleeve:

"your number is up"

"how did you figure that out?"

"you are Infinitly Insignificant in my eyes"

rps:"we killed you"

Villian:"count again"

If i had heard about Count Infinity before that i would had pleaded to borrow that name!

'Infinity' would seem to indicate either a time travel gimmick or immortality, while 'Count' gives the impression of nobility. Also, fictional Counts tend to be on the arch, sinister side. There's also the Count Dracula association.

So Count Infinity would be an immortal nobleman, in ornate ceremonial attire (cape, medals, duelling sabre... something reminiscent of 'The Prisoner of Zenda'). I'd go the pencil-thin moustache, slicked-back black hair and monocle as well. Formerly the despotic ruler of a fake postage-stamp European nation, he used a strange blend of science and sorcery to drain the temporal energy (and life-force) from his subjects to extend his own life.

First appearing as a Golden Age villain allied with the Nazis, he was deposed by a Golden Age superhero team and believed dead after he fell into a volcano.

In actuality, he managed to escape, whereupon he fled to South America, where he set up again. During this time, he discovered the mysterious Maple White Land, a strange mesa of dinosaurs described in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'The Lost World'.

Count Infinity is your standard-issue megalomaniacal world conqueror. He's aided by a small group of allies, chiefly Volda, a mysterious gypsy sorceress from his homeland who, it is often implied, has certain infernal ties, Dr.Heinreich Hellstrom, an escape nazi mad scientist whose ancient body is kept alive by gruesome black science, and Torgo, a Neanderthal-like Caveman who acts as the Count's bodyguard and muscle.

Oops. Ah well, Count Infinity is a hell of a cool name.

Simian Samurai seems pretty easy. I'd be inclined to use it as a sub-title rather than a proper name... just as you have, 'Superman, the Man of Steel', we have Shu Saru, The Simian Samurai (apologies for my abominable Japanese). This is another 'Lost World' Caper, where a unit of Japanese Soldiers who refuse to believe the war is over are stranded on a mysterious Pacific Island inhabited by Dinosaurs. For decades, the soldiers gathered the island's population of intelligent ape-men to them, 'recruiting' and training them to make up the numbers.

One ape in particular, larger and more intelligent than his fellows, took charge, and transformed his fellows into an army of ape-soldiers and re-naming himself 'Shu Saru' (or Lord Ape), ruled the island. The last surviving soldier, now old and withered, kept barely alive by the strange waters and berries of the island, is a skeletal near-madman who acts as Shu Saru's advisor.

I can imagine a story where a plane or boat-load of passengers (including a DNPC or two) goes missing and the heroes happen across the mysterious island. Once there, they encounter dinosaurs, and the Simian Samurai's ape-soldiers. The heroes have to infiltrate (or storm) Shu Saru's Volcano Pagoda to rescue the passengers.

I was actually tempted to post a thread like this the other day, but decided against. I had a name and everything ...

Psiclone

Psiclone - It makes me think of a character that can touch a person and duplicate all their skills.

Interesting, checkmate. My first thought was a mentalist who specialized in creating "tornadoes" with his mind.

Psiclone makes me think of someone who creates tornadoes OF the mind. The victims feel nauseous and dizzy' date=' a combined Dex and Stun drain based on Ego combat.[/quote']

Okay, your stereotypical villain (VIPER, say, or whoever) organization puts a bunch of psionics into suspended animation and networks them together, amplifying their power through synergy. They also create a 'blank' clone body so they can 'download' a psychic into it and interact with them without thawing them out.

An accident occurs and all the psychics' bodies are destroyed, while all their minds flood simultaneously into the clone 'blank' body.

The resulting monster is a mental storm of anguished, confused, terrified, angry minds all swarming around inside his head. For the most part, the creature is an uncontrollable force of nature, lashing out at almost anything which attracts its attention with a wide array of powerful psionic abilities, however, occasionally, and seemingly at random, one of the minds within the maelstrom can acquire a certain degree of control over the groupmind.

This means that an encounter with Psyclone will always be unpredictable. Sometimes, he's a raging, uncontrollable monster and sometimes, he is a driven individual with an obsessive focus on a goal he's driven to achieve before his consciousness once more sinks into the maelstrom of his own mind.

Silver Bullet would totally be a Speedster' date=' with Guns. Fast Draw, high speed, lots of autofire and multi-attacks, but with guns instead of just running around punching people.[/quote']

Reminds me of a VIPER hireling I once created: Gunrunner. Super-fast and impact-resistance up the wazoo... but she had to rely on compact forearm mini-cannons to take on heroes!

No, no, the Silver Bullet is the Werewolf Hunter. In every generation, there is a chosen one... pretty much always a big, deceptively fast guy who favours Western barroom-style brawling ("a good big guy beats a good little guy"), guns (with silver bullets, naturally), and silver blades. The girl werewolves dig him, the boy weres fear him. It's said that when the Werewolf Hunter and the Vampire Slayer get together, their child will be the Saint of Monsters, and deliver humanity from supernatural menace forever.

...But, of course, the Slayer is all like, "he's big and hairy and gross," and the Hunter is all, like, "I don't dig cheerleaders." Can their friends get them together, and Save the World?

No, no, the Silver Bullet is the Werewolf Hunter. In every generation, there is a chosen one... pretty much always a big, deceptively fast guy who favours Western barroom-style brawling ("a good big guy beats a good little guy"), guns (with silver bullets, naturally), and silver blades. The girl werewolves dig him, the boy weres fear him. It's said that when the Werewolf Hunter and the Vampire Slayer get together, their child will be the Saint of Monsters, and deliver humanity from supernatural menace forever.

...But, of course, the Slayer is all like, "he's big and hairy and gross," and the Hunter is all, like, "I don't dig cheerleaders." Can their friends get them together, and Save the World?

How could I not rep that?

And for another item -- "Particle Man, Particle Man, Doing the things a particle can." I've often wondered what a superhero built around the forces of sub-atomic particles (electrons, protons, neutrons, quarks, etc. -- and the forces that link them) would be able to do in a campaign. I doubt he'd be quite as pathetic as the protagonist of the TMBG song.

And he could have CSL's with Bottle Rockets!

Silver Bullet would totally be a Speedster' date=' with Guns. Fast Draw, high speed, lots of autofire and multi-attacks, but with guns instead of just running around punching people.[/quote']

....and a werewolf.

What??

How could I not rep that?

And for another item -- "Particle Man, Particle Man, Doing the things a particle can." I've often wondered what a superhero built around the forces of sub-atomic particles (electrons, protons, neutrons, quarks, etc. -- and the forces that link them) would be able to do in a campaign. I doubt he'd be quite as pathetic as the protagonist of the TMBG song.

The first thought in my mind is somebody got lucky to be shrunk to a particle and developed magnetic powers at that height only.

CES

So speaking of which' date=' who would Fast Draw be? A gunslinger? A police sketch artist turned to evil? A dark elf speedster, cursed with dyslexia?[/quote']

The name does associate itself with gunslinging, and poker playing. maybe a gunsinger that uses cards as his weapon.

CES