More City Books

Stone

To the best of my knowledge, there are three city books; Millennium City (northern US), Hudson City (Northern US), & Vibora Bay (SE US). I was hoping there would be more city books in other parts of the country. Maybe a NW city like Seattle, a west coast city like Los Angeles or San Francisco, a southern city like Dallas, Austin, or Houston, and a mid-western city like Denver. Also a smaller city like Smallville would be interesting.

I'm sure a large of folks on here have created their own game worlds and cities. I think it would be interesting to see what everyone has out together. Anyone know of a "city database"?

Re: More City Books

I think the aim of the three city books wasn't to cover the country, it was to cover the three major aspects of the modern hero campaigns: Millenium City came first and was the conventional superheroic city, Vibora Bay was meant to encompass the mystical and Hudson City was supposed to cover the gritty Dark Champions style area. To that end, I'm pretty sure Steve just picked the geography based on how appropriate the areas were to the genres of those cities.

To date, Millenium City is the only one I've even mentioned in my campaign, mostly as background. My own campaign city is home grown (and nebulously placed somewhere in the western part of the US without much description; probably central CA).

I'm betting the only reason another city book would be made by the company itself is if there was a need to cover another aspect, like if they released Kraken Hero and it became really popular; then there could be a followup with a city for them to destroy, New Tokyo.

San Angelo is great. I love the sourcebook. I hate the "Forced Origin" of the world

It's not really a forced origin, in my opinion. It's an explanation for why there are origins.

a city for them to destroy' date=' New Tokyo.[/quote']

Not really your point, but Kazei 5 has a good bit of information on Neo York and Neo Tokyo. Not enough to qualify as a true city book, but still very useful for those same purposes.

A Babylon book would rock. Maybe there will one day be an expansion on the material in Mystic World, maybe called Mystic Places, with more information on other dimensions. Though I believe the management has said that the setting stuff doesn't sell as well.

I live in Seattle, and Seattle really couldn't sustain a book by itself. If it was me, I would do a West Coast book with maybe Seattle, LA, and Portland (Vegas?). Seattle is just a small town when you really look at it. 500,000 people or so in the metro area, another 1.5 million or so in the outskirts. Seattle might sustain maybe one or two true supers, with one or two more in the outlying areas. Not included in that number, I could see a low-level military super or two at Lewis/Mc Cord and some kind of low-powered vigilantes in Tacoma and Spokane.

No one would really be world class, except maybe the Microsoft Corporation's corporate super. This is actually something I'm tinkering with for a con game in the future. Closer to a more (but not entirely) serious version of Mystery Men than something like the X-Men.

NOTE: Seattle now has about 650,00 in the city and 3 million in the metro area. Wow. A lot of people have moved her in the last ten or so years.

I'm hoping one day for a Babylon sourcebook.

On the one hand, a complete sourcebook for Babylon, the City of Man (described in the Champs supplement The Mystic World) would be impractical. It's one city that's all the great cities of the world throughout history, real or imagined. Not only is that too much geography and cultural detail to get into a single book, but the "layout" of the city shifts unpredictably, playing bloody hob with mapping.

OTOH developing a few select areas of particular interest could make this a true cross-genre sourcebook, suitable for multiple styles and power levels, e.g. imperial Rome, Victorian London, Arabian Nights Baghdad, Fritz-Langian Metropolis, or the Emerald City of Oz. Throw in more general notes about the rest of the city and how to get around in it, and you might have something doable that would be really special. :)

I'd also like to mention another interesting and unique supers city setting for Champions, Meriquai Falls, created by our board colleague Dale "Crimson-Hawk" Robbins. It's a modern, large Midwestern American city with a deep Native American history and mythical/mystical influence. Meriquai Falls has been described in Digital Hero issue #s 2, 3, 4, 6, and updated in issue #39. Dale is also working on an eventual full source book for MF.

Here's where you can read a sample from the DH articles giving an overview of Meriquai Falls: http://web.archive.org/web/20051001094502/www.herogames.com/digitalHero/Samples/dh02meriquaifalls.htm

How would politics look like in the City of Man. What would the phonebook look like?

Since Constantinople is doubtlessly in there, I'd say it's safe to call Babylon's politics Byzantine. ;) Seriously, The Mystic World goes into some detail on that. With every political philosophy in history, plus a few purely fictional ones, having its adherents -- not to mention gods, demons, and dimension-lords meddling in the city's affairs -- Babylon is rife with factions and secret societies all jockeying for influence. Above all of them is the mysterious Emperor of Babylon, constantly working to balance the factional infighting and keep the city on an even keel.

As for the 'phone directory, telephones would be anachronistic in much of the city. You're as likely to communicate with other people via couriers, holograms, or crystal balls. ;)

A Babylon book would rock. Maybe there will one day be an expansion on the material in Mystic World' date=' maybe called Mystic Places, with more information on other dimensions. Though I belive the management has said that the setting stuff doesn't sell as well.[/quote']

Actually the setting books are the ones I flip through the most. But I can understand why they wouldn't sell. Why plunk down the money for a book you're not really going to use. I'd love an expansion to the Mystic world giving more information about the other dimensions. Don't think it would sell well. Maybe if there's a 6ed version of Mystic World they can add a few more pages like show us one of the larger island city-states in the realm of Hod. Maybe take it a step up and give an example city for different genres. Like the main city in the Fantasy setting, an alien city in Star Hero, etc.

There was actually more detail about Dean Shomshak's Hero Multiverse in the 4E Champs sourcebook Ultimage Super Mage, predecessor to 5E's Mystic World and Ultimate Mystic. Also more character sheets for various villains, heroes, and creatures. I think my personal favorites from that book which weren't carried forward are the Ravens of Dispersion and their home dimension, the Pale Cathedral. :cool:

Quite a bit of that material still seems to fit into current continuity based on references in 5E books, so if desirable it wouldn't be that hard to update.

I've been heavily thinking about creating an "Ultimate Dimension" book' date=' which covers all aspects of dimensions, expanding uses of Teleport and Extradimensional Travel, dimensions as sources of powers etc.[/quote']

I believe they are thinking about doing a Book of the Empress to cover that material. I might be into it, especially if they do recreate some of the material from the old Champions in 3D. I would also love to see the mirror universe versions of some of the CU's big stars like in DC's Earth 2.