A power to swap places with someone.

Hi, I've been pondering how to do this "by the book" since a player wanted this power in a Fantasy HERO campaign (I let him have it and just fudged the power at the time).

But what would be the proper way to do it?

Here's what the power does in plain english terms:

It allows the character to instantly swap places with anyone else that he can see who's of roughly the same size (any normal human would be OK, a bull or a small dog wouldn't).

(The player called the power "Now You're Here But I'm Not Because I'm Over There Where You Were Just A Moment Ago" or NYHBINBIOTWYWJAMA as a convenient shorthand.)

Using Teleport seems obvious but it's obviously limited to only being able to teleport to where somebody else is already standing, LOS only and it also teleports the other person to where you're standing. Two linked Teleports, one of which is Usable on others? That's the best I can think of but it looks a little complex for a power that's easily described in a single sentence... :~p

Re: A power to swap places with someone.

Champions Powers has the following Power:

Trading Spaces: Teleportation 30m, Limited Range (30m; +1/4), Usable As Attack (does not affect characters with teleportation or dimensional powers; +1 1/4); Only To Trade Places (-1) plus Teleportation 30m (30 Active Points); Only To Trade Places (-1), Linked (Teleportation; -1/2)

There are also four variants.

Long Trade I: Increase both Powers to 60m.

Long Trade II: Add MegaScale (1m = 1 km) to both Powers.

Position Trading: Add No Relative Velocity and Position Shift to both Powers.

Easy Trade: Add 1/2 END to both Powers.

Why not a Side Effect on the Teleport UAA that you teleport to where the target was?

Because it won't always be a negative, so you shouldn't get a cost break for it and because even at a -0 Side Effect that's a pretty good deal considering your getting half of the intended power for free.

One of my wizards had the same spell in an old FH game. When fighting people who knew he had the position swapping spell, he would occasionally break out his illusion (images) spell to make himself look like a particular opponent, and that opponent look like him, without changing places.

• 1 year later...

Actually, since you can use UaA powers on yourself, what about:

Switch Places: Teleport 30m, Usable as Attack, Limited Range, Only to Trade Places

Rapid Attack, Only for Switch Places

+2 CSLs with Switch Places

Then when using it, you just do a Multiple Attack on both yourself and the intended target. Not much of a price difference at the current strength, but useful if you want to make the range longer.

Actually, since you can use UaA powers on yourself, what about:

Switch Places: Teleport 30m, Usable as Attack, Limited Range, Only to Trade Places

Rapid Attack, Only for Switch Places

+2 CSLs with Switch Places

Then when using it, you just do a Multiple Attack on both yourself and the intended target. Not much of a price difference at the current strength, but useful if you want to make the range longer.

That's an interesting option I hadn't thought of. Of course, there is the issue with having a lowered DCV and taking a Full Phase, but it is certainly an option.

Hi, I've been pondering how to do this "by the book" since a player wanted this power in a Fantasy HERO campaign (I let him have it and just fudged the power at the time).

But what would be the proper way to do it?

Here's what the power does in plain english terms:

It allows the character to instantly swap places with anyone else that he can see who's of roughly the same size (any normal human would be OK, a bull or a small dog wouldn't).

(The player called the power "Now You're Here But I'm Not Because I'm Over There Where You Were Just A Moment Ago" or NYHBINBIOTWYWJAMA as a convenient shorthand.)

...or he could call it "castling," like the move in Chess when your king and a rook trade places.

One of my wizards had the same spell in an old FH game. When fighting people who knew he had the position swapping spell' date=' he would occasionally break out his illusion (images) spell to make himself look like a particular opponent, and that opponent look like him, without changing places.[/quote']

Or jump off a very high ledge and then use it. Imagine standing there and seeing a guy run off a ledge laughing. You get a half second to wonder what the hell he's doing before you feel air rushing past you very fast and a whole lot of ground coming at you like a freight train.

Or jump off a very high ledge and then use it. Imagine standing there and seeing a guy run off a ledge laughing. You get a half second to wonder what the hell he's doing before you feel air rushing past you very fast and a whole lot of ground coming at you like a freight train.

But you would have to make sure you hit or you may go "oops" as you don't trade places and plumet yourself :).

And if you miss but still had a second option to roll to hit (as they move to the edge of the ledge to see why you threw yourself of the ledge and laugh at you :)) you better have no relative velocity modifier on your part of the teleport to stop your downward movement as you appear in his spot but still dropping :).

That's an interesting option I hadn't thought of. Of course' date=' there is the issue with having a lowered DCV and taking a Full Phase, but it is certainly an option.[/quote']That's what the Rapid Attack (IIRC) is for - lowers the time to a half-phase. The DCV drop is an issue though, and it means that for only 30m of Teleport, you may be better off with the Linked Teleport approach.

That's what the Rapid Attack (IIRC) is for - lowers the time to a half-phase. The DCV drop is an issue though' date=' and it means that for only 30m of Teleport, you may be better off with the Linked Teleport approach.[/quote']

I know about Rapid Attack, but unless that was something you planned on the character having anyway it is an additional cost (though not a huge one). Still, very creative option

But you would have to make sure you hit or you may go "oops" as you don't trade places and plumet yourself :). And if you miss but still had a second option to roll to hit (as they move to the edge of the ledge to see why you threw yourself of the ledge and laugh at you :)) you better have no relative velocity modifier on your part of the teleport to stop your downward movement as you appear in his spot but still dropping :).

You could buy the "No Relative Velocity" adder to save yourself from the latter situation. As for the former, just make sure you don't miss ;)

That has given me a thought for a henchman or possibly troopers for Foxbat.

So lots of cannon fodder with few powers and defences. Or a major henchman with neat tricks to compliment the exchanging of places.

They are probably have on brightly coloured costumes, possibly jester outfits. They have boots with roller skates on and jet packs that allow them to make very high jumps.

Then their plan is to either very high speed move through on roller skates on solid objects like walls. Or use the jetpacks to reach a decent height before falling to the ground. Or just throw themselves of high buildings and aim for high velocity before they hit the ground.

But just before they hit they use an exchange places with a target but they come to a stop and the target keeps their final velocity. So if they hit they take no damage and their target takes movethrough or falling damage. Of course if they miss they take the damage (possibly having suits that are like air bags to reduce the damage).

Just imagine a heroes face as they see a brightly coloured person running full tilt at a wall just before they themselves suddenly hit it.

Or the hero group gets jumped on (literally) by a bunch of maniacs from a high building shouting "Foxbat forever". Then some of them may miss and hit the floor or they find themselves doing serious damage as they appear just above the ground and slamming into the floor!

Obviously it then becomes more comicall as they try and out think the suicide attemps with tricks of their own :-).

Unfortuneately you would then have to add in a Flight UAA or something similar. Teleport by itself cannot imbue its target with any velocity. Teleporting into the air will of course cause them to start falling but with your roller blades guy the teleport target is still sitting still right next to the wall, he doesn't "gain" your momentum as part of a teleport.

Unfortuneately you would then have to add in a Flight UAA or something similar. Teleport by itself cannot imbue its target with any velocity. Teleporting into the air will of course cause them to start falling but with your roller blades guy the teleport target is still sitting still right next to the wall' date=' he doesn't "gain" your momentum as part of a teleport.[/quote']

Yes other powers would have to be used for the movement.

But No Relative Velocity Adder does allow you to add velocity. It allows you to teleport into a moving vehicle so they need to increase your velocity.

So as a GM in my game I would allow a linked teleport that moved you to your target and your target to your point with your relative velocity. Obviously it would be a villain power and would be expensive in active points. But it would be a themed attack for a certain villain.

Just imagine a heroes face as they see a brightly coloured person running full tilt at a wall just before they themselves suddenly hit it.

A consequence of this and the like (hurling themselves off cliffs, etc.) is that some of our heroes who still have an action will try to save the lemmings before understanding the whole picture...and afterwards, too. Heh.

• 8 months later...

Champions Powers has the following Power:

Trading Spaces: Teleportation 30m, Limited Range (30m; +1/4), Usable As Attack (does not affect characters with teleportation or dimensional powers; +1 1/4); Only To Trade Places (-1) plus Teleportation 30m (30 Active Points); Only To Trade Places (-1), Linked (Teleportation; -1/2)

There are also four variants.

Long Trade I: Increase both Powers to 60m.

Long Trade II: Add MegaScale (1m = 1 km) to both Powers.

Position Trading: Add No Relative Velocity and Position Shift to both Powers.

Easy Trade: Add 1/2 END to both Powers.

Why would the "Limited Range: 30m) be an Advantage? I cant wrap my mind around that.

Why would the "Limited Range: 30m) be an Advantage? I cant wrap my mind around that.

Ordinarily Teleportation has NO Range. Movement Powers don't need Range because they affect the character's self.

In this case, it's Teleportation usable on another. If it didn't have range, it could only be used to move someone standing right next to you. Slap on a Limited Range and you can now move someone across the room -

EDIT That is, if someone is across the room, you can move them to somewhere else, whereas without the Limited Range, you could not move that person over there at all but you could move the one standing next to you.

a clear advantage (and Advantage) over only being able to teleport someone you can touch.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary buys Teleportation at Range but without Usable on Other and can now teleport itself when it's across the room from itself.

You could probably also do this using the 'gate' rules for teleportation, just stick 'selective' on the AOE.  I'd probably make the AoE mobile so that it sweeps over the power user and target.  Mind you, gates are basically 'UBO/UAA' anyway, but it does have the advantage of being completely rules legal, being in the rules and all.  In fact a selective gate could potentially swap a lot of different targets.  Hmm...

Now I'm thinking about Stargate Ring Transporters...

That has given me a thought for a henchman or possibly troopers for Foxbat.So lots of cannon fodder with few powers and defences. Or a major henchman with neat tricks to compliment the exchanging of places.They are probably have on brightly coloured costumes, possibly jester outfits. They have boots with roller skates on and jet packs that allow them to make very high jumps.Then their plan is to either very high speed move through on roller skates on solid objects like walls. Or use the jetpacks to reach a decent height before falling to the ground. Or just throw themselves of high buildings and aim for high velocity before they hit the ground.But just before they hit they use an exchange places with a target but they come to a stop and the target keeps their final velocity. So if they hit they take no damage and their target takes movethrough or falling damage. Of course if they miss they take the damage (possibly having suits that are like air bags to reduce the damage).Just imagine a heroes face as they see a brightly coloured person running full tilt at a wall just before they themselves suddenly hit it.Or the hero group gets jumped on (literally) by a bunch of maniacs from a high building shouting "Foxbat forever". Then some of them may miss and hit the floor or they find themselves doing serious damage as they appear just above the ground and slamming into the floor!Obviously it then becomes more comicall as they try and out think the suicide attemps with tricks of their own :-).