Champions Villains Volume Three: Solo Villains when will it be on the shelf?

TotalerKrieg

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions Villains Volume Three: Solo Villains when will it be on the shelf?

As soon as we have specific information on a release date we'll let you know' date=' both through the weekly Friday news updates and posts on the Company Questions board.[/quote']

Yeah but one more week of "Darrin is working on the printing logjam" and I am going to ask Discovery channel to send their American Loggers to help him, expensed to Mr. Long of course.

:help:

Tommy

Re: Champions Villains Volume Three: Solo Villains when will it be on the shelf?

With more books coming through, the logjam is getting bigger. That is a concern to those of us wondering what is going on with the printer.

I have money I want to give to Hero, but I refuse to until the pdf bundles are put into the store.

(sits back and remembers how infrequent releases were in the bad-old-days before DOJ)

I think I can be patient a few more weeks.

1) Its was a joke.

2) I am glad you are graced with such a princely attribute. I unfortunately do not have patience, helps with my job as Program Manager for tech firm, sucks with my personal life.

3) I was playing champions from the BBB on, was a huge fan of the Pre-DOJ Steve Long Dark Champions, I own almost champions product printed in my collection so yes, I remember those days too, and also the time before that in the BBB/pre-BBB era where output was pretty good too. I use the Three Galaxies (Palladium) for space games, L5r (AEG) is a huge portion of my budget, I know near zero output and missed schedules......

4) I also dont use Pulp Hero, Fantasy Hero, or Star Hero. I switched to M&M two years ago for the system and Freedom setting ( dont like M City at all, but do use Vibora Bay) but use as my villains CCC/Champions universe villains, old friends I know well, M&M for crunch/Champions for Fluff. So I only care about the champions villains books.

5) I love the Champions Villains, but after 4+ revisions of Champions (including CtNM, some cool ideas there), I pretty much have 3-4 books with the same villains that are in these books, but A) I love the artwork, B) I like some of the changes, and C) again fan/supporter of Steve/DOJ. Otherwise, I wouldnt be paying a good chunk of change for what I really already have. I bought the core books and dont use them just because I hope that helps keep champions alive.

So sorry my joke offended, hadn't posted in a while, probably wont again. Take care.

T

So sorry my joke offended, hadn't posted in a while, probably wont again. Take care.

T

Your joke didn't offend -- I did in fact chuckle at it.

And I'm truly sorry my comment apparently offended you. It really wasn't meant to. Seriously. (And I'm rarely serious, though I don't expect you to know that.) I should have put a smiley on my prior post to let you know it was a bit tongue in cheek.

• 3 months later...
Guest Goradin

I am really at a loss how this book hasn't made it to the printers. I bought the first two and have been waiting on this one for a year. But other stuff moves through. Do peeps not want these books, I know Darren sometimes says demands are low. I bought a PDF of all the villian books.

Now I see, Champions Beyond is next. I want this one so that is cool with me. But I am extremely disatisfied as a loyal consumer about this sabotaging of the Champions line which was the origin of the HERO System. Why is this book continually being pushed to the side?

Work with us, we love you guys, all we want is an honest answer and our book.

Hero only has the resources to print so many books at a time, and the unfortunate delay caused several to crash into each other on the schedule. We decided that getting Star Hero, the big core release, out at Gencon was top priority, and that meant some other titles had to be shifted around on the calendar and in a couple of cases bumped to the other side of Gencon. With Star shipped and Beyond now on the road, the next two titles we're working on getting out are Villains 3 and the second Advanced Players Guide. I don't have dates for them yet, but we're talking weeks, probably not months. dw

Guest Goradin

Thanks Darren, I really appreciate the answer. I, for one, don't know jack about the roleplaying business. I know Steve and you are professionals in this field. You do what is best for the company I want you guys around for a long time!

I appreciate the answer too (as I'm sure all of us do). Naturally, the real world doesn't always go the way we want it to - but these little updates from you guys really makes a big difference.

You guys are class acts!

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone needs to be patient in this matter. I think we are privileged that Steve or Darren even tell us what's going on; very many other companies wouldn't. Okay, yes, many want the books and that's encouraging to them (I hope) but waiting two weeks and then saying "Are we there yet?" isn't going to help.

Although I appreciate it when Steve Long or Darren Watts post on the forum, answer questions, and interact with fans and readers, I hardly think we are "privileged" if a company provides updates on its product release schedule, since their goal, presumably, is to sell things to people who want to buy them. That's a very odd choice of words. I don't consider myself privileged, for example, when a car company tells when the new 2012 models are available, rather than just quietly releasing them with no fanfare (like that would ever happen).

Considering that the status of other books is constantly updated in the weekly summary, and this book is always conspicuously absent, I also don't feel out of line waiting two weeks (when our only update in months said it is a matter of weeks) to simply ask for an update. After all, they can completely ignore me and there is no other way to get this information (I've asked some sellers and they have no info on it).

Considering that the status of other books is constantly updated in the weekly summary' date=' and this book is always conspicuously absent, I also don't feel out of line waiting two weeks (when our only update in months said it is a matter of weeks) to simply ask for an update. After all, they can completely ignore me and there is no other way to get this information (I've asked some sellers and they have no info on it).[/quote']

Pamela, I appreciate your frustration, and I agree that you're not being unreasonable. The thing is, every time this question has arisen on the forums, on every one of the books that were caught in the printer logjam, Steve or Darren's response has always been, essentially, "we'll give you more information as soon as we have some." Given how scrupulously they normally update the notices of book availability, there has to be some reason as to why they can't or won't do so here. Conversely, there's no benefit to them not announcing when the book will be available for sale, as they promised to do. It's what they've done with all the other backlogged books so far.

After all this time I can't see the company changing their approach to this situation. You certainly have the right to keep asking, but you may have to accept not receiving a satisfactory answer. :(

As I said, they can completely ignore me if they wish. It's up to them to decide how best to deal with potential customers and manage demand for this particular product.

And my post is in direct response to the Darren Watts post that actually did provide a sliver of information (if not actual hope). This entire situation is all very curious. I'd say more, but I don't feel like saying anything controversial. But I feel far from "privileged." :)

Although I appreciate it when Steve Long or Darren Watts post on the forum, answer questions, and interact with fans and readers, I hardly think we are "privileged" if a company provides updates on its product release schedule, since their goal, presumably, is to sell things to people who want to buy them. That's a very odd choice of words. I don't consider myself privileged, for example, when a car company tells when the new 2012 models are available, rather than just quietly releasing them with no fanfare (like that would ever happen).

Considering that the status of other books is constantly updated in the weekly summary, and this book is always conspicuously absent, I also don't feel out of line waiting two weeks (when our only update in months said it is a matter of weeks) to simply ask for an update. After all, they can completely ignore me and there is no other way to get this information (I've asked some sellers and they have no info on it).

I agree wholeheartedly.

While there would be a time cost to someone at Hero, would a "Upcoming Publications" page on the Boards which provides the most recent updated information be a possibility? Even if the page indicated "Villains Vol 3 still caught in printer logjam", this would be a place to go to see the status.

I don't know that it wouldn't cause more problems than it solves, but could the priority list for the printer be posted? Some recent threads have indicated some existing books are getting harder to find, and I'd certainly understand Hero's prioritization of, say, keeping the rules in print over getting a Champions supplement printed.

It's an unfortunate situation all around - I'm sure if DoJ could comfortably set expected release dates for all the products, they would - but providing these and having the uncertainties of the Real World result in them being wrong would just bring more frustrated posts. Hopefully, the printer's problems have been resolved and they can start moving the backlog. I would hope they have some gratitude to Hero for supporting them in a tough time for their business, and not taking their own business elsewhere, and that they will repay that loyalty by making that extra effort to move Hero's print runs along as quickly as possible. It's nice when ethical business practices pay off!

ADDENDUM: Since this also just showed up in Company Questions

I suspect the cold, hard fact is that Hero's printer issues, which have dragged out for some time and built up quite a logjam, have required Hero to prioritize which books in the backlog get printed first based on expected sales. Given this one hasn't been printed yet, I'm guessing that the sales of the first two Villains books have been relatively low - maybe not low enough to mean no more villain books are likely going forward, but low enough that other types of books are expected to generate more sales faster, so they get printed first.

I'm pretty sure Star Hero got prioritized for Con Season, and I suspect reprinting some core books that are getting hard to find will be prioritized as well.

You misunderstood what I meant by saying 'privileged'. I meant we have info about what's going on inside the company, that's all. I don't say that about the product schedule.

Hey guys! I apologize again for any perception that we're somehow hiding things from you. Villains 3 is a big, complicated, *expensive* book to make, and so was Star. Hero is a small company struggling to make it through difficult economic times just like everybody else, and we only have the resources to get a book like that printed every so often. We picked Star first, and we're sorry if that decision upset anybody individually, but as somebody above pointed out, we have to make these decisions in part based on expected sales and we believed (and still believe) that Star was the "bigger" book. There's no further mystery to plumb here, gang- Villains 3 will be out as soon as we can manage it. dw

Thank you for the reply. That's much less positive news. Hopefully we'll see this book someday.

As much as I hate villain teams, now I wish Talisman, Howler, and Foxbat were members of one. :)

You hate the Champions U villain times or villain teams as a concept?