She kicks hard

Steve

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: She kicks hard

Occam's Razor. This is the simplest solution' date=' and thus, I think it has merit.[/quote']

That depends on one's definition of Occam's Razor.

Limited STR as a Power is doing more than was requested and potentially requires GM permission.

A further Limited HA avoids both of those pitfalls.

No' date=' it says that powers have a point of origin. That page does not discuss combat maneuvers, martial or otherwise.[/quote']

Please name the mechanical differences between a Martial Maneuver with +0 OCV, +0DCV, +2 DC (Martial Punch) and +2d6 HTH Attack, No Endurance (Punch).

Like I said: Martial Arts is just a pre fabbed HTH/HKA/NND/Limited STR multipower (With No End Cost). Extra DC are just not so limited extra STR/Extra Active Points (so they apply to all attacks, but not Lifting...).

Please name the mechanical differences between a Martial Maneuver with +0 OCV' date=' +0DCV, +2 DC (Martial Punch) and +2d6 HTH Attack, No Endurance (Punch).[/quote']

The first is a Skill, the second a Power. for starters. Skills do not require a "point of origin" or fall under all the other considerations Powers do.

The first is a Skill' date=' the second a Power. for starters. Skills do not require a "point of origin" or fall under all the other considerations Powers do.[/quote']

That's why so many thieves are skilled in Picking Locks, Forging and the like, only using their feet?

Or could it be that a tied up thief/one who had his hands removed can't use those skills either? Doesn't that sounds like most skills have a clearly defined origin point?

Also, your idea does not fit to what is written in the 6E HSMA book: You can't just do an attack described as Kick using your hands. You must first must "unlock" a maneuver with the same values, that is described as using hands, from another style.

With the three exeptions noted above (where one attack can be used with multiple limbs, but still not all), that sounds like a very clearly definde "origin point" for me.

Deal with it however you want.

In campaigns I run and campaigns I've played in if you buy "Karate Kick" it isn't locked down into kicks only. The exception is Martial Arts Campaigns where this is important and you need to buy Karate Kick and Karate Punch separately even if they're the same Mechanical Maneuver.

I find Less Is More when it comes to Skills (and Martial Maneuvers ARE Skills) to prevent the campaign bogging itself down in too much cumbersome detail for no real gain. If you need to simulate an especially strong specific maneuver then it is worth a Limitation; however you've bought it (Hand Attack, Extra Strength, Combat Skill Levels, or Martial Damage Classes).

I would place Legs/Kicks Only at -1/4.

That's why so many thieves are skilled in Picking Locks, Forging and the like, only using their feet?

Or could it be that a tied up thief/one who had his hands removed can't use those skills either? Doesn't that sounds like most skills have a clearly defined origin point?

No, it sounds like most skills reliant on manual dexterity require you to use the body part which manual dexterity refers to, being the hands. Acrobatics typically benefits from the use of both hands and feet, as would Breakfall. A skilled rider can guide his mount using his knees.

And a Strike includes fists, feet, knees, elbows and headbutts. A Skill Level including Strike also includes all of these choices. I suppose one might allow the "kicks really well" character to purchase skill levels with their Art, only usable with kicks, but that goes beyond this character, who is only to receive higher damage, and not the choice of CV modifiers.

That depends on one's definition of Occam's Razor.

Limited STR as a Power is doing more than was requested and potentially requires GM permission.

A further Limited HA avoids both of those pitfalls.

Perhaps, but I'm a big fan of simplicity. After three pages of debate, I would most likely just go with the basic, simple option even if it isn't quite what I was after.

I have not read the whole thread...but has anyone suggested say...+6 w/Kicks....now your the worlds best kicker' date=' and can add +3D6 when you wish.... what 18 points? Seems like a simple solution....[/quote']

Post #2 but you know HEROphiles......