Baba Yaga

TheNaga

What can I look at to help me with my making my verison of Baba Yaga? Below is my verison of Baba Yaga who can cast magic and has the ability to turn into a monstrous form. The skin color of her human form is based on the skin color of the Hag Countess from 3rd D&D. Should Baba Taga have the ability to turn into a monstrous form? What are some suggestion on what powers she should have? IF there is section in here where I can get help turning her from Heroes Unlimited to Champions I would Like to now where to post Baba Yaga. Also what change if any should I make to how she looks in human form?

Human Form: She looks like an extraordinarily tall decrepit frightening looking human female that stands nine feet tall. Her sagging skin is the blue-violet of a deep bruise and appears withered. Her shoulder length straggly hair is grey in color. Her gaunt face is hideously ugly. The large bulging eyes are orange in color. The jagged iron teeth in her misshapen mouth are yellow in color. The hands are large and gnarled. Each finger and thumb ends in a sharp iron-like claw.

Monstrous Form: She appears as a frightening looking giant that stands thirteen feet tall. Her body is thickly muscled. Her skin is grey in color and is thick and hard. Her head is monstrous in appearance. The large bulging eyes are orange in color. The sharp jagged iron teeth in her powerful jaws are yellow in color. Each finger and thumb ends in a sharp iron-like claw. The feet end in sharp iron-like claws.

Re: Baba Yaga

Well, there are many folk tales about the Baba Yaga, which don't always agree. The version from Heroes Unlimited is in some ways its own original creation. There are HERO System character sheets for the Baba Yaga as she appears in her most famous Russian folkloric incarnation, that I could point you to, although they aren't free (but one is cheap). Also, you might benefit from these online encyclopedic references:

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/baba_yaga.html

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/featured/witchcraft/chapter-8.html

Well' date=' there are many folk tales about the Baba Yaga, which don't always agree. The version from [i']Heroes Unlimited[/i] is in some ways its own original creation. There are HERO System character sheets for the Baba Yaga as she appears in her most famous Russian folkloric incarnation, that I could point you to, although they aren't free (but one is cheap). Also, you might benefit from these online encyclopedic references:

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/baba_yaga.html

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/featured/witchcraft/chapter-8.html

Could I have links to the Heroes Characters sheets of Baba Yaga.

Algernon Files also has a character called The Crone...who is more or less Baba Yaga...

Baba Yaga was also one of the Inner Circle Morbanes of DEMON in Classic Organizations for 4e, but in that case the legend exaggerated the truth. She was basically an immortal human mage whose immortality was maintained by an annual ritual requiring the eating of a baby, resulting in the legends of a baby-eating ogress.

A 446 point character with a 60 point VPP.

Could I have links to the Heroes Characters sheets of Baba Yaga.

Algernon Files also has a character called The Crone...who is more or less Baba Yaga...

I believe The Algernon Files (a very fine HERO System Fifth Edition setting book published by Blackwyrm Games) even gives that as one of the Crone's names. Since she's based in Russia and has all the Baba Yaga's attributes, there's little doubt. This is one of the write-ups I was referring to in my earlier post; but this book is chock-full of other stuff not related to Baba Yaga, and is by no means cheap.

IMO for Meadyaon's purposes he'd do better to pick up Issue #35 of Hero Games's electronic magazine, Digital Hero, which has a detailed write-up for the Baba Yaga and her magical artifacts. It would cost $2.50 US. You'll find all the instructions for purchasing it on this forum thread.

What would Baba Yaga's race be?

If your interpretation of the Baba Yaga is that she's human, she'd be of the race whose legends you draw your inspiration from. The HERO write-ups referenced here use the most famous Russian version. However, in legend she's such an incredibly powerful witch, she could be an elemental Faerie, a demigod, or almost anything else -- an "origin" for her is rarely specified.

A surprising number of tales I've seen give her some connection to spinning or weaving, and there are a few in which there are actually three Baba Yagas.

This is only speculation, but I personally think the Baba Yaga was originally one of a group of three Goddesses such as the Norns or the Fates.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is sure there's something wyrd about her

A surprising number of tales I've seen give her some connection to spinning or weaving, and there are a few in which there are actually three Baba Yagas.

This is only speculation, but I personally think the Baba Yaga was originally one of a group of three Goddesses such as the Norns or the Fates.

Lucius Alexander

I've read that too.

Lucius Alexander

Duplication spell? *hint hint*

You can, of course, always have a Baba Yaga who is not THE Baba Yaga.

That is, a mutant or magician who decides to take the name and exploit the legend, but isn't really the person the legends were originally about. Or for that matter, someone to whom the name and legend were applied whether they chose it or not.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary remembers the Crone of Cold, who was mistaken for Baba Yaga.

There is a Baba in my Champions Universe. She's a withered old hag but she has the ability to look like a beautiful being of virtually any race, for a limited time. It's one of the benefits that goes away when she sticks around too long in an area. You see, her hut is a bar that is a strange extradimensional space that moves around from universe to universe, cursed to roam. It's also a neutral zone--no fighting is permitted there and her helpers are quite good at enforcing this edict. This means it's the one place in my game where villains and heroes have been known to meet on an enforced netural ground.

Think of it as a combination of the Hellfire Club, the Cantina from Star Wars, and Pocket-D from City of Heroes. The entrance to it appears in the game world only periodically and you have to know where to find it because it's always different. Often you have to consult someone with prescience to predict where the entrance will be. If you fail to exit before it dimension shifts, you might be stuck there until the next time it touches your world, which could be minutes or years.

Baba is revitalized by the shift to a new zone, so if she has done a favor or performed an act that requires her vital energies, departure may be sooner than you expect. It's all quite unpredictable. Often you have to schmooze once you get in so that you can figure out the likelihood of when the place will leave again.

I don't expect she'll ever be in a fight so she's mostly a deus ex machina.

• 4 months later...

I would like to have the Baba Yaga's look be the basis for how a Russian Hag would look like. What can i do to make the Monstrous for better sounding? What if the Monstrous form of Baba Yaga can not cast any magic?

What if she has wings like the following in monstrous form?

A pair of black ratty, tattered feathery wings flare from her back. The wings crest three feet higher then his head and have a wingspan of eighteen feet.

• 2 months later...

An endurance reserve could be bought with whatever restrictions you think reasonable for a mana pool, but you can always go with having the character drawing on their END characteristic. Or buy down the magic to 0 END cost and use limited charges. Or buy down the END cost down to 0 and use other restrictions that may or may not reflect your concept of what a mana pool is.

Which would be the point. We can talk about mechanics all day long, but the point here is the special effects that you want to model. Extended descriptive sections don't really get us to the special effects. We need to know more about how the limits of Baba Yaga's powers effect the outcome of the stories that you're trying to model.