What do you think of supervillain teams?

phoenix240

Re: What do you think of supervillain teams?

@CES: Prior to Flashpoint, "New Earth" or whatever was the mainstream DC setting. I can assure you the Hall of Doom appeared in the Justice League title during the Injustice League saga. It was the headquarters of the Injustice League Unlimited team put together by Luthor, Joker, and Cheetah for purposes known only to Luthor. They were all captured and then exiled during the Salvation Run series. This is all pretty clearly spelled out in the entry.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because... you can't count on criminal groups to ignore zoning regulations' date=' or file plans for construction A but actually build construction B and pay off bureaucrats to look the other way? :winkgrin: Throw certain powers in the mix (e.g. mind control or mental illusions) and I think it's almost a slam-dunk that all the official paperwork could appear to be on the up-and-up.[/quote']

Or good old "or your family suffers extortion". Or they just make it in secret. One "classical" for such complexes is a remote, abandoned building (like a Gas Station in the middle of nowhere) with lot's of unsued underground space and nobody to notice some diging.

I can see your points in some respects. (I've never liked that whole Hall of Doom thing myself.) And I've used certain genre conventions (like a VIPER dirigible aircraft carrier) with full understanding that I was pushing the limits of disbelief beyond the reasonable' date='[/quote']

Perhaps slightly easier to believe and better to hide: A submersible aircraft carrier. The game Supreme Commander has some exaples/designs.

Actually there an awful lot of pre-built underground installations from one government or another that are abandoned and just begging to be repurposed by the supervillains if they ever come along.

So these complexe are like the ones in Fantasy: As soon as you stop looking if everything is alreight some monster will settle there...

@CES: Prior to Flashpoint' date=' "New Earth" or whatever was the mainstream DC setting. I can assure you the Hall of Doom appeared in the Justice League title during the Injustice League saga. It was the headquarters of the Injustice League Unlimited team put together by Luthor, Joker, and Cheetah for purposes known only to Luthor. They were all captured and then exiled during the Salvation Run series. This is all pretty clearly spelled out in the entry.[/quote']

I'm cool with that. I was thinking this was during the Infinite Crisis event run when ALex Luthor impersonated Lex Luthor and assembled all these villains except for the Secret Six which was led by the real Luthor as Mockingbird.

I guess once they used it once in the comics before this, they had to use it again.

CES

• 1 month later...

Short-term alliances make sense but since most villains are out only for themselves and can't be trusted' date=' it's unlikely they would stick together for long. Someone would screw the others over to get ahead. Because they're evil.[/quote']

Except, in the real world, we have these things called gangs...and "organized crime"...and "terrorist groups"...

Criminals IRL routinely work together to achieve common goals...in fact trust and loyalty and mutual respect are extremely important...it's when one party becomes ambitious, or feels they're being slighted in some way, that the back-stabbing(literally) starts...

Short-term alliances make sense but since most villains are out only for themselves and can't be trusted' date=' it's unlikely they would stick together for long. Someone would screw the others over to get ahead. Because they're evil.[/quote']

For crying out loud....

Evil != Unsocial, unable to think in long terms, etc.

There is nothing in the description of the bad guys that says "they can't care for others, they can't geniunely love others and they can't befriend anyone". Even the bad guys can form friendships and trust, without permanently consdiering how they could screw each other for a minimal, temporal gain.

From the Champions Online Wiki about GRAB:

The members of GRAB have similar personalities; they tend to be easy going and have the same attitudes and opinions. Unlike most other villain groups, they get along very well and are not plagued by personality conflicts. The members personal lives overlap their criminal lives as they often spend time together in their secret identities doing normal activities.

They have the perfect setup. They get along well. What would they gain from stepping on each others toes?

Well, imagine a supervillain bank robbery crew, with the following power sets:

1. supertough brick--can rip vault door off hinges if need be

2. cyberpath--can override and shut down cameras and security panic buttons and cell phones

3. telepath--can find out the safe combination or where the key is

4. teleporter--can get the group out in a hurry

5. invisible character--can scope out a bank without being detected

6. desolid character who can turn into anesthetic gas and knock out everyone inside the bank

By working together, they can clean out a half dozen banks in a day or two, before moving on, laying low, and hitting another town. Their risk of getting caught in most circumstances is quite low, and their chances of getting a "big score" are quite high. It's quite possible such a crew could accumulate tens of millions of dollars before being caught. They could even afford some kind of remote fortified "safe house", complete with security systems and hired security guards. They just have to get along well enough to work together, not rat each other out, and show enough discipline to not tip off the cops(by not spending their money locally or too extravagantly).

For crying out loud....

Evil != Unsocial, unable to think in long terms, etc.

Sure it is. And Good is always Stupid and pacifistic, suckers for sob stories and always willing to let the bad guys go if they promise to be nice in the future.

Anyone else is just Neutral with Tendencies (which is in the range of 99.999% as the stupidity of Evil and Good weed them out pretty fast).

;)