Anyone updated any of the old adventures?

Tim

I was wondering if anyone has updated any of the old Champions adventures?

Specifically, Wings of the Valkerie, and TGSVC (the great supervillian contest) These have always been two of my favorites and I'm thinking about using one or both against my players.

The main problem is I procrastinate and mind blank about halfway thru. So I was wondering if anyone had started on them so when I mind blank, I'll be close to done.

TimS

I haven't done either of the two mentioned. But I have updated a number of others. It only takes about 10-20 minutes per character, unless they use really odd constructions. My methodology is simple.

1- Enter the character as is, or as close as you can get it, into Hero Designer.

2- Alter any really odd constructions. Generally this requires use of Change Environment or some other power that didn't exist 20 years ago.

3- Add about 2DCs to most constructions. Anybody else remember when an 8d6 EB was an effective attack?

4- Add any powers which the character should have. Change Environment for example.

5- Add skills, talents and perks as appropriate for character description. It is suprising how many nuclear physicists in earlier editions didn't have any science skills. And that probably explains why there were so many power giving radiation accidents. :)

In general this adds 50-100 pts to each character.

For those of you who haven't read Wings of the Valkyrie, SPOILER WARNING.

The main concern with updating Wings is the passage of time since WW II. It's been 16 years since the adventure was first published, and some of the Children of the Holocaust would be impaired by old age if their backgrounds were used as written.

Several of the Children would be unaffected, though: Danube is essentially immortal; White Rose could have been in suspended animation longer before being discovered; Svargali could prolong his youth and vitality through black magic; Sampson was only a child during the war, and has an innately superhuman physique, so could have an extended lifespan.

Starlet's father could have been a Nazi fifth columnist exposed years after the War, which resulted in her family's financial ruin. Jacob Litvak might have been a child during the Holocaust, having lost his whole family. Henri Weismann would be trickiest to justify, though, without making him roughly the same age as Litvak, which would alter their relationship, not to mention reducing his physical capability.

You'd also want to update the timeline of the alternate world the PCs end up in.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

For those of you who haven't read Wings of the Valkyrie, SPOILER WARNING.

(major snipage)

I agree with all you said. That is why I was hoping someone else had already done/ started the work. :D It would be interesting to see other people's takes on the major figures.

I'm not thinking about updating the earlier adventures so much

as I am thinking about updating the characters from certain

adventures to see just how nasty (or lame, as the case may be)

they would look once they're converted over into 5thEd.

Right now, I'm looking over the Blood characters from the Blood

and Dr. McQuark supplement for my first updating attempts.

Space Cadet :cool:

The Coriolis Effect

Speaking of Old Adventures... I recently dug up the Coriolis Effect, and was thinking about incorporatin some of it's elements into my campaign. You see while I have a very ritch campaign world, my weakness is in the Mystic area. When it comes to Magic in my world it's never been too prominate, nor all that deep. Unfortunatly for me... the very 1st PC I got for this game is a Mage... a 2000+ yr old Temporal Mage named Tempest (yeah he thinks the misnomer is funny)

Anyway I was thinking of Having Tempest (Or Epoch as he was called in the old days) take the place of Dr Arcane, and have been involved with Ch'Andarra/The Black Enchantress. I can build the characters, but might be a bit unimaginiative on the spells. Has anyone used this Adventure in 5th ed (heck 4th Ed would be interesting) and how might you have used these characters, plot threads, backgrounds ect...

WC

Originally posted by Space Cadet

I'm not thinking about updating the earlier adventures so much

as I am thinking about updating the characters from certain

adventures to see just how nasty (or lame, as the case may be)

they would look once they're converted over into 5thEd.

Right now, I'm looking over the Blood characters from the Blood

and Dr. McQuark supplement for my first updating attempts.

I'ld love to see your updated version of the meanest hobo in hte universe. Why don't you post them?

Villains&Vigilantes to HERO Conversion adventures

I recently picked a bunch of old V&V adventures at a local used book store and I'm planning to make extensive use of them . Cheese to the Nth degree , but a lot of fun . I'll post later when I've re-read and converted them all .

Question ? , any good Marvel or DC adventures out there .

Make mine a HERO

Originally posted by Bartman

I'ld love to see your updated version of the meanest hobo in hte universe. Why don't you post them?

If I may, I'd suggest checking with Steve Long before posting any versions of old Champions characters to the boards - the company is rightly protective of their copyrighted characters appearing on a free public forum. If they own the rights to them but don't intend to use them, Steve will probably be okay with it. (I got his permission to do this with the characters from VOICE of Doom, for example.)

In the case of the Blood, though, I'm pretty certain that Aaron Allston owns the rights to them and plans to do something with them one day, so they could be a bit sticky. :(

Re: The Coriolis Effect

Originally posted by Wildcat

Speaking of Old Adventures... I recently dug up the Coriolis Effect, and was thinking about incorporatin some of it's elements into my campaign. You see while I have a very ritch campaign world, my weakness is in the Mystic area. When it comes to Magic in my world it's never been too prominate, nor all that deep. Unfortunatly for me... the very 1st PC I got for this game is a Mage... a 2000+ yr old Temporal Mage named Tempest (yeah he thinks the misnomer is funny)

Anyway I was thinking of Having Tempest (Or Epoch as he was called in the old days) take the place of Dr Arcane, and have been involved with Ch'Andarra/The Black Enchantress. I can build the characters, but might be a bit unimaginiative on the spells. Has anyone used this Adventure in 5th ed (heck 4th Ed would be interesting) and how might you have used these characters, plot threads, backgrounds ect...

WC

I would heartily suggest picking up the UNTIL Superpowers Database; the vast number of powers listed there would be highly appropriate as the basis for super-magic spells, especially for those pesky wizards with Variable Power Pools who can have a lot to choose from. IIRC there's a very nice suite of Time Powers that would probably be suitable for your temporal mage.

As far as adapting The Coriolis Effect, the main complication is that the character of Dr. Arcane is well past his prime and crippled, hence the need to bring in the heroes to help protect him. The whole dynamic would change if you substitute Tempest for him. My suggestion would be to retain Dr. Arcane as a Golden Age sorceror hero, just as in the original adventure. If Tempest/Epoch knew him during those years, it would provide incentive for him to help his old friend, as well as a rationale for Donna Hannah/ Coriolis to seek him out.

I would also suggest that the Black Enchantress as written is a bit too fragile to serve the master-villain role she's supposed to when compared to the new 350-pt. Standard Super Hero. When I've used her I've given her the physical stats listed for her mother Ch'andarra.

This adventure would be a great start toward making magic more prominent. You could run it causing an increase in the "magic field" of the world, making mystical heroes more powerful. It would kind of be like a Mystical Radiation accident for the whole world. This would allow you to bring in more fantasy related bits for the campaign.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

If I may, I'd suggest checking with Steve Long before posting any versions of old Champions characters to the boards - the company is rightly protective of their copyrighted characters appearing on a free public forum. If they own the rights to them but don't intend to use them, Steve will probably be okay with it. (I got his permission to do this with the characters from VOICE of Doom, for example.)

In the case of the Blood, though, I'm pretty certain that Aaron Allston owns the rights to them and plans to do something with them one day, so they could be a bit sticky. :(

As far as posting updated versions of other folks' published Champs

characters in this forum -- or any other one, for that matter --

goes, I wouldn't even so much as dream of doing that unless

I had the original creator's express approval to do so. So, unless

I have such approval to post an updated character belonging to

someone else, you won't be seeing anything like that from yours

truly.

Space Cadet :cool: