Xavier Onassiss

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Weird ship names requested.

Found this on the Seventh Sanctum

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=shipnamer

Might be useful in other genre's as well.

Okay, just went to this site and messed around with it a little (great set of tools, by the way). Came up with a spell I wish I had in real life: Dispel Stupidity. That, I would pay a lot of points for.

mythical monsters are used sometimes like the Cyclops. I imagine this would also continue in the future.

I can see the Mab or Morrigan as a pirate ship.

The Mercury as a courier

The Lo Pan as a merchant/smuggler

CES

Terracide has a class of "Battle Carriers" named for monsters; biggest ships in the setting, and not likely to be converted to salvage duty. OTOH, after the Battle of Snake Eyes in 2313, several of these vessels are floating around wrecked, waiting to be salvaged. Quite a few adventure hooks waiting to happen there.

The list:

Leviathan

Kraken

Jormungandr

Orca

Megalodon

Cetus

Hydra

Dragon

Tarasque

Tiamat

Gojira

Cloverfield

Moby Dick

Behemoth

Yeah, there's a big freakin' battle-wagon named Cloverfield in the Colonial Reserve Fleet. The Celestial Guard named their corresponding class of vessels after war gods, so Cloverfield gets to have it out with Durga at the Battle of Snake Eyes.

Okay' date=' just went to this site and messed around with it a little (great set of tools, by the way). Came up with a spell I wish I had in real life: Dispel Stupidity. That, I would pay a lot of points for.[/quote']Unfortunately a lot of stupidity has the difficult to dispel advantage.

Fortune Cookie (predictions about course, travel time and stellar weather usually have a low quality).

Another one from Schlock mercenary (their first ship actually):

A "Dragon Class" Warship called "Kitesfear". http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2000-07-14(first panel)

It becomes somewhat funny once you add in knowledge of the german language:

"Drachen" means mainly Dragon (the mythical beast), but also is the colloquial word for the flying kite.

So it's basically named "Drachenangst" (Dragonfear or "Fear of Dragons") in german, but using the "wrong" Translation for Dragon.

Of course that joke only works when most know the word in the other language (but it is still a fast way to name a single ship of a single class).

And the rest of it has the Inherent advantage.

Looks like I'm going to need a lot of convenient blunt objects, then.

Oh, and Blunt Instrument might make a good ship name. As well as Sharp Force Trauma, Wound Tract, Terminal Rigor and Latex Glove.

I have always named my cars.

The current one is named Ransom Barrel. Because I paid a king's ransom for it, because I was over a barrel.

Last one was Serpico. Because it used to be a police car, and Serpico is my favorite ex-cop.

Then there was Ten Cent. Because it turned on a dime, and a dime is ten cents. Also, it didn't want to accelerate past 55 mph which is the "double nickel" which is also ten cents.

There was the Gray Gargoyle, so called because it was the ugliest car I'd ever owned.

And Behemoth, short for Oversized, Overpowered, Gas Guzzling Behemoth.

My first car was a Grand Marquis, so I named it Alphonse, after one of the given names of the infamous Marquis de Sade. That car just about drove me crazy. For one, the turn signal kept failing; I'd have to pull over, open the trunk so I could reach the exposed wires, and jiggle them until it started blinking. For another, the lock of the trunk kept malfunctioning; I would insert key, turn, fail to pop trunk, withdraw it, insert again, try again, sometimes several times before it opened. One rainy day the trunk refused to open even after no less than twenty attempts as I stood there in the cold getting wet, until in frustration I brought my fist down hard on it - and THEN it started to blink. After that, I'd just beat on that corner of the trunk rather than opening it, and changed the name to Leo. After Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, because obviously it WANTED me to beat on it.

Lucius Alexander

I'm sure you know what kind of name a palindromedary prefers