Bell curve spread?

RDU Neil

It has been years since I've been on this forum. Nice to know it still exists, though it looks very different. I even see many names I recognize from the past.

A simple question... I'm sure the answer has been posted here in the past... what are the percentages for the 3d6 bell curve? Likelihood to roll a 3, a 4, etc. I did a few searches, but couldn't find anything.

I know there are quite a few stats gurus out there who could answer this in their sleep, so thanks ahead of time!

Neil

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Bell curve spread?

3-dice-charts.gif

[TABLE=class: armylist, width: 0]

[TR=bgcolor: transparent]

[TH=bgcolor: #666666]Dice Score[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #666666]Result exactly[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #666666]Result or less[/TH]

[TH=bgcolor: #666666]Result or more[/TH]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]3[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]0.46[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]100[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]4[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]1.38[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]1.85[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]99.53[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]5[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]2.77[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]4.62[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]98.14[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]6[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]9.25[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]95.37[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]7[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]6.94[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]16.20[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]90.74[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]8[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]9.72[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]25.92[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]83.79[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]9[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]11.57[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]37.50[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]74.07[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]10[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]12.50[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]50.00[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]62.50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]11[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]12.50[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]62.50[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]50.50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]12[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]11.57[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]74.07[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]37.50[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]13[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]9.72[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]83.79[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]25.92[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]14[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]6.94[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]90.74[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]16.20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]15[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]95.37[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]9.25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]16[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]2.77[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]98.14[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]17[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]1.38[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]99.53[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]1.85[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]18[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFFFF]100[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Ah ha! What Escafarc posted was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! And Killer Shrike, Bloodstone, Sean Waters... serious blasts from the past! So... what's new with Hero? I haven't been active since before 6th Edition came out, so what are the big system arguments going on these days?

Ah ha! What Escafarc posted was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! And Killer Shrike' date=' Bloodstone, Sean Waters... serious blasts from the past! So... what's new with Hero? I haven't been active since before 6th Edition came out, so what are the big system arguments going on these days?[/quote']

Same as they ever were. :) Welcome back !

Believe it or not, there's almost never an argument about Killing Attacks vs Normal Attacks anymore. They nerfed Killing Attacks.

The name of Disadvantages was changed to Complications, which makes sense, but then it had to live up to the name and the presentation is more complicated and confusing. And instead of being voluntary, they're...well, still voluntary but written in a way that sort of implies that it's mandatory to take the full amount and you have to read carefully to catch the fact you have a choice.

As has been noted, sometimes the topic of figured characteristics is brought up. Every once in a while someone complains about COM being gone, but mostly people got tired of that issue.

I also still mange to eat cereal and soup despite the alleged nonexistence of spoons.

Lucius Alexander

I still have a palindromedary

"the big argument seems to be "Will here go under", and "Should they have decoupled figured characteristics"

Do you mean "Will Hero go under?"

As for the decoupling of figured characteristics... in my brief glances at 6th Edition, that was the one thing that I really liked, at least in concept. I'll have to dig up some threads around that, because while it was a very traditional Hero mechanic, and made sense at a certain conceptual level, I always felt it was at the core of many mechanical loopholes and min-maxing issues that were better avoided. Interesting.

Believe it or not' date=' there's almost never an argument about Killing Attacks vs Normal Attacks anymore. They nerfed Killing Attacks.[/quote']

I'll have to look up what they did with KAs. Just balance the cost, or otherwise change the mechanic?

The name of Disadvantages was changed to Complications' date=' which makes sense, but then it had to live up to the name and the presentation is more complicated and confusing. And instead of being voluntary, they're...well, still voluntary but written in a way that sort of implies that it's mandatory to take the full amount and you have to read carefully to catch the fact you have a choice. [/quote']

Again, good to know. I should probably go buy the new editions, even though I don't play anymore. Just out of support and interest.

Glad to know the palindromedary is alive and well.

I'll have to look up what they did with KAs. Just balance the cost' date=' or otherwise change the mechanic?[/quote']

I only got the 5E handbook to compare 6E with, but from what I get:

Stun Multiple is now 1d3. All non-resistant defenses always work against the Stun.

Body is still 1d6/3 DC and is only resisted by Resistant Defenses.

It will thus be much more likely to do body (even in supers games), while it's average stun is considerably lower than that of a Blast (and his highest is equal to a same DC Blast).

Look! RDU Neil is back!! :)

I had forgotten we had the discussions that lead to your sig:

Axioms: The sacrosanct core assumptions of the game.

Mechanics: The basic functional building blocks derived from the axioms.

Game Rules: The specific and variable application of Mechanics that define the play of the game.

Play Experience: The resulting behaviors of play and shared imaginary event unique to each group.

As for the decoupling of figured characteristics... in my brief glances at 6th Edition, that was the one thing that I really liked, at least in concept. I'll have to dig up some threads around that, because while it was a very traditional Hero mechanic, and made sense at a certain conceptual level, I always felt it was at the core of many mechanical loopholes and min-maxing issues that were better avoided. Interesting.

I seem to be in the minority position that the removal of Figured Characteristics was not only long overdue, but results in a better game mechanically.

But, of course, I railed against (and of course EXPLOITED) the broken mathematical recursions way back when I first discovered and adopted the HERO System 21 something years ago. I always considered it to be the system's one serious flaw. So...no big surprise that I approve of the "fix".

I would not say that is the minority view. While it is true that when 6th first came out it was, now that people have tried it...

Ohh and I forgot the ever popular "Stat inflation" thing...we're do for another round of that in the next month or so...

I seem to be in the minority position that the removal of Figured Characteristics was not only long overdue' date=' but results in a better game mechanically.[/quote']

I too think it's a good fix (having tried to build 2 characters in 5E). The current system makes it easier to build the character you want.

Also, the Rework of certain powers (Growth, Density increase) makes it easier to put them into a Multipower and get all the logical effects such a size would have.

I seem to be in the minority position that the removal of Figured Characteristics was not only long overdue, but results in a better game mechanically.

But, of course, I railed against (and of course EXPLOITED) the broken mathematical recursions way back when I first discovered and adopted the HERO System 21 something years ago. I always considered it to be the system's one serious flaw. So...no big surprise that I approve of the "fix".

A fix was desperately needed and long overdue. Anyone who says otherwise is talking nonsense.

BUT, there was more than one possible "fix." some of us think that abolishing figured characteristics, rather than reforming them, is "throwing the baby out with the bathwater."

On the other hand, there is no denying that it did in fact solve the problem.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the new problem is logical inconsistancy.

Strength has not been fixed enough...discuss :)

Well, as Hugh Neilson pointed out to me (and pretty much needed a clue by four to make me see it clearly) there is still a problem with how STR interacts with damaging powers especially Killing Attacks.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if we need to discuss all that in this thread