Weirdness Magnet

Re: Weirdness Magnet

I am simply pointing out that a compcliation that can put you at half DCV and unable to abort is indeed "dangerous", something you seem to disagree with.

The lvl 3 Unluck clearearly lists half DCV situations (falling and being stunned).

Loosing the keys to the Bat-mobile propably falls under 1 Level of Unluck (it has to be a vital clue or piece of equip. What is more vital in a car chase than your car?).

I am not certain about the lvl 2 unluck. It think it does not mean the entire suite ruptures and you die on the spot. But you propably have a damage that needs to be fixed now - and can only be repaired inside a pressureized area.

I think you are misunderstanding the point that KS was trying to make. Unluck is there to make things difficult for the character. Like he quoted if the Character is having an easy time with some task (even out of combat) or is just assuming something is routine. That is when Unluck should be used. IMHO even 5 levels of unluck shouldn't be lethal. It should put the character in situations that are more dangerous than they would normally be

ie the Engines on the ship are down and the Unlucky Engineer is fixing them. It's a routine roll to reroute the power to get them up and running again. The character is having an easy time of things and hasn't been unlucky lately. So the GM has the Player roll the Characters 5d6 of Unluck. At one level, the engineer might be missing a tool that would make the repair easier. At 2 levels he might drop a tool into the works making things slightly worse (has to extract the tool from a dangerous conduit and still has to fix stuff), at 3 levels he might accidentally short out that particular power line. At 4 levels me might do that and cause a fire (dangerous, but not immediatly lethat) at 5 levels he drops the tool into the works and makes a 10 minute job something that requires a space dock for repairs (or take days to fix with little to no power and spotty life support).

It's nothing that will immediately kill the PC. It makes a dangerous situation more dangerous and difficult to defuse the danger. In combat even 5 levels of Unluck shouldn't be used to kill the PC. What's the fun of that? Remember that even in Gritty, lethal games you the GM are there to make the game fun. Killing characters off shows a lack of imagination and no understanding of what the role of GM should be.

Here's the write up from the Master List of Limitations;

Weirdness Magnet

Infrequent, Greatly: 10 Points

Type: Social

Description: Strange things happen to and around this character. This is not a truly threatening Disadvantage, but it is a continuous nuisance. The character constantly finds himself dealing with odd circumstances and (relatively) odd people. New-Agers and Psychics tend to encounter the character with incredibly frequency, oddball pairs of FBI Agents searching for the truth bump into him on a daily basis, and so on. The reasons for the character having this Disadvantage are up to the player.

I am simply pointing out that a compcliation that can put you at half DCV and unable to abort is indeed "dangerous", something you seem to disagree with.

The lvl 3 Unluck clearearly lists half DCV situations (falling and being stunned).

At three levels and higher Unluck does start to get less inconvenient / troublesome and more dangerous.

My interpretation is that 1 level is mild, 2 levels is moderate, 3 levels is serious, and 4 levels or more scales upwards.

So...hmm.

5 points: Social Complication: Weirdness: you come across as strange and people avoid you, except at role playing conventions (Frequently, Minor, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

15 points: Physical Complication: Magnet: you attract ferrous metals, and fritz electronic equipment. People can find you by throwing iron filings in the air. (Frequently; Slightly Impairing)

I've used a combination of the above plus luck. If it's truly weirdness, then luck, unluck, social complication/limitation, and (as more direct source) Hunted: Weird Events (scaled to be merely inconvenient) combined together could define a full range of odd occurrences that could range from odd to dangerously bizarre. It also (with such variety) be used to define the character him/herself.

I priced it by building it as a Hunted last time it came up for me' date=' using the lower values because weirdness doesn't want to kill you, just mess with you.[/quote']

Excellent point: there are LOTS of complications which fall into the "annoying/nuisance" category, (Watched, Negative Reputation, Rivalry, just to name a few) and they are still worth points.

Excellent point: there are LOTS of complications which fall into the "annoying/nuisance" category' date=' (Watched, Negative Reputation, Rivalry, just to name a few) and they are [i']still worth points[/i].

I think when they are mearly annoying, they might not be played straight/to full potential.

Watched:

Somebody is just waiting for you to something "wrong". Can result in a lot of extra work to not give them anything. In fact it can be the reason for entire scenes or advnetures (we could just threaten this guy till he spills it out, but because of our watched we actually have to do him a favor to get the information).

Negative Reputation:

One common way is to just let somebody else ask the questions. But I think this should be avoided: Simply being associated with the person who has Bad Rep should give you the same penalty. "I don't like him, you work with him, so I don't like you." "We don't like mutants or those who associate with them."

And of course if the person hardly interacts or is even seen, then this complication would be simply wrong.

Rivalry:

Again, it depends on how it is played. We could just solve it if thsoe two would work togehter, but now they msut eb stubborn about who does it first.

I've used a combination of the above plus luck. If it's truly weirdness' date=' then luck, unluck, social complication/limitation, and (as more direct source) Hunted: Weird Events (scaled to be merely inconvenient) combined together could define a full range of odd occurrences that could range from odd to dangerously bizarre. It also (with such variety) be used to define the character him/herself.[/quote']

Have you seen what is above*?

*Well, you're top of page 3, so not actually directly above, but it would be if you printed out each page and taped them together. Do that now.

Have you seen what is above*?

*Well, you're top of page 3, so not actually directly above, but it would be if you printed out each page and taped them together. Do that now.

Let me translate my Southern American dialect into English :)

By "above" I meant "all of the prior suggestions" and was suggesting that a combination of the prior suggestions was something I had used before. I attempted to summarize the prior suggestions to further imply that. I was neither referring to nor dismissing your post (which I did see).

If I caused confusion I blame it on me :)

Let me translate my Southern American dialect into English :)

By "above" I meant "all of the prior suggestions" and was suggesting that a combination of the prior suggestions was something I had used before. I attempted to summarize the prior suggestions to further imply that. I was neither referring to nor dismissing your post (which I did see).

If I caused confusion I blame it on me :)

You're just a weirdness magnet, as evidenced by the fact that I am talking to you. :)

I can't help with the character creation part but I do have a friend from college who is a weirdness magnet. My friend Don is weird unto himself. If gamers are on the edge of 1 standard deviation off of norm, then Don is easily 2 standard deviations off the norm for the American population. In addition to the fact that Don is weird unto himself, he attracts an odd collection of friends - some of us are in that 1 SD off of norm, but he had/has some friends that are 3 or 4 or 5 deviations off of norm. He doesn't do anything special to attract these folks they just 'find him'.

Also there were weird occurrence that happened around him - finding weird objects (bizarre religious emblems), phenomena, and the previously mentioned people. If he was late for a game session there was always another story about some weird thing that happened to him.

List of my weirdness events:

• I have never entered an airport without seeing someone I know
  • I was on a conference call with another company and everyone broke for lunch. Then a voice on the conference call said "Vimes" (not my real name, he said "Vimes"). Someone who knew me online was on the call.
  • I sit down at Disney World and an old guy sits down next to me. We get to talking and he had been Gary Gygax's neighbor for years. I was the only person he'd ever met that knew where Lake Geneva, WI was located.
  • I go to the doctor and this guy starts talking to me. I ask him why he's at the doctor and he says "Failed my saving throw." -- I swear, if there is a gaming nerd within 30 miles they will find me.
  • I buy some equipment for my workshop from a guy online. I take it home and the girl I'm dating stares at it and asks where I bought it. I, unknowingly, bought it from her ex-husband.
  • My boss asks me to handle hiring for his department and I have to hire someone to replace me. The first applicant is a guy from my old job that refused to promote me. The second is the first boss I ever had -- who fired me. The third is my ex-wife's brother. -- I told my boss that it was best that I not handle the interviews anymore.

My weirdness magnet stuff tends to be of the its a small world variety... here are a few...

•  
  • Went to Disney World on vacation, on all three nights the wife and I were there when we got on the bus to go back to the hotel for the evening the people sitting next to us were from Jacksonville, the same city as us... a different couple or family each night...

• On another trip to Disney World on the bus back to the room at the end of the night, we met another couple from Jacksonville... as we continued to talk, we realized that the husband and I worked in buildings right next to each other in the office park where our companies were located... then the real weirdness, I was working tech support for FedEx at the time and had just helped the shipping clerk in his office with a technical question on the shipping software the week before we went on vacation...

• I went into a new gaming store for the first time and posted a message about starting a Champions campaign... I got an email from an interested party and he gave me his phone number... I gave him a call and we started talking about the campaign then about possibly meeting up for further discussion and character creation... turns out he lived on the other side of the apartment complex I was living in...

My weirdness magnet stuff tends to be of the its a small world variety... here are a few...

•  
  • Went to Disney World on vacation, on all three nights the wife and I were there when we got on the bus to go back to the hotel for the evening the people sitting next to us were from Jacksonville, the same city as us... a different couple or family each night...

• On another trip to Disney World on the bus back to the room at the end of the night, we met another couple from Jacksonville... as we continued to talk, we realized that the husband and I worked in buildings right next to each other in the office park where our companies were located... then the real weirdness, I was working tech support for FedEx at the time and had just helped the shipping clerk in his office with a technical question on the shipping software the week before we went on vacation...

• I went into a new gaming store for the first time and posted a message about starting a Champions campaign... I got an email from an interested party and he gave me his phone number... I gave him a call and we started talking about the campaign then about possibly meeting up for further discussion and character creation... turns out he lived on the other side of the apartment complex I was living in...

Truly Disney is the nexus of all weirdness.