Heroes to Villains

Laundry Knight

When I imagine what kind of characters to make with the system, the first ideas that come to mind is for heroes, but if I am ever to play the game, I am likely going to have to be a GM and will need a lot more villains; so, I am re-envisioning some of my heroes as villains. Am I the only one that does that? If not, how does it work out in general?

Re: Heroes to Villains

You're not alone. It's not hard to do, in one of my earliest 6th ed games I took Taurus, Eagle Eye, and Hardpoint , stripped the labels off, and made new villains out of them. It worked out pretty well, though the three ended up in stronghold PDQ

A villain is a matter of perspective. Very few villains get up in the morning and decide that "today I will be evil." That tends to make for a shallow villain. When I need a quick villain, I find a couple of morality quirks and motivations, load up HeroDesigner, load the prefabs for "Champions Powers" (a must have) and settle on a theme. Plug in the powers and bam -- I'm done. After you get a pile of these you'll see patterns of thought forming and scenarios and connections will coalesce. Zen game mastering is your friend.

Let's try it with the Champions (using Champions 6E writeups):

Defender:

In the most common/nearest alterante reality, James Harmon IV is "the Shadow Destroyer" (a techno-magical Dr. D).

The point he decided to become Hero was teh Battle of Detroit. He could jsut as easily choose to be a vigilantee instead - because heroes could not do what is nessesary (kill).

Alternively he is a rich guy/genious who just enjoys the "kick" of villany.

Might need to replace his CvK, with his motivation.

Ironclad:

He is one of three ex-mava gladiators. The other two are evil. It's easy enough to let him be attacked on first appereance. Basically put him in a "Hulk" situation. Maybe he was already "jaded" towards violence from his tenure on Malva?

Changes: Change Hutner Viper to Hunter Military. Perhaps change his CvK.

Kinetik:

Take away his job. He has 4 underaged DNCP's to feed, how long till he goes to villainy?

Chagnes: Nothing. (he dosen't even have a CvK!)

Saphire:

Crime is a easy way to become Famous/feared.

Changes: Maybe change Public ID to Secret ID. Maybe replace her CvK.

Witchcraft:

The easiest is to jsut let her and Talisman switch places. But let's try something else:

1) Her "going good" was just an personality overlay to get a spy into the "Trismegistus Council". Once she was in teh right position her "real" personality resurfaced.

2) She is truly neutral. While she uses Black Magic she also understands the dangers (not like her stupid sister Talisman) and she snuck into the Council to aquire thier knowledge as well.

Changes: Maybe Change ehr Hutned to the Council isntead. Maybe transform Hunted: Talsiman to Rivalry. or Hunted: some specific Trimestus Guy. Or just keep it. Maybe repalce the CvK.

I've never changed a character from good to evil or vice versa in any genre or gaming system after the character was created. Some may change during character creation as part of their history, but after that they stay true. And changing the name and costume, but keeping the powers the same, has no interest to me. There are too many good villains in all the old sourcebooks I have, along with those I created myself, to ever need copying an existing one. If anything, there are too many that I'll never get the chance to use.

I tend to do the opposite. I have a huge collection of villains on tap' date=' both original and from the many Champions volumes I've purchased over the years. I'm more likely to convert a villain into an NPC hero when I need one for a particular scenario.[/quote']

I do have to admit villains are easier and more fun to create than heroes for me.

Note: Of course, with the 80s cartoons I always found myself pulling for the villains (esp. the Decepticons, and Skeletor)

I've seen the old Champions third edition where they had both a hero option and a villian option for the characters. So for my daughters villians I used Crusader (in 4th he is a hero) made him a villian and just renamed him. Heck just about any hero could be a villian or vise-versa. I also modified Mongoose for the basis of being a hero.

I've seen the old Champions third edition where they had both a hero option and a villian option for the characters. So for my daughters villians I used Crusader (in 4th he is a hero) made him a villian and just renamed him. Heck just about any hero could be a villian or vise-versa. I also modified Mongoose for the basis of being a hero.

Always a good idea. Same with monsters. Look and see what the powers do, make up a new description, file off the serial numbers, and BAM you have a villain.