TUALA MORN -- Interested In More Stuff?

Steve Long

Re: TUALA MORN -- Interested In More Stuff?

Are we talking 5 or so pages per country? Maybe up to 10 pages? For something like that, I would be willing to pay a couple of bucks.

Well, I can't say for sure on the ones that are just conceptual at this point, but the Acquitaine one is significantly longer than that. I'm nowhere near finished with it and am already over 10,000 words. Even without art that's likely to be 10-12 pages right there (hard to say for certain on that, but that's a good guesstimate). Depending on how much detail I put into the section on Acquitainian Magic in particular, this thing could get pretty dang long.

I'd expect a writeup of Logres to be pretty long as well, since I have lots of ideas there. For the others it's more difficult for me to say, since it would all depend on how inspired I got, what clever ideas I had, and so forth.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I'd add Egypt into the mix too though)

Well, that's getting onto a whole 'nother continent. ;) For the time being I'm limiting myself to the Northlands (the Fantasy Europe of this particular world). All I have for other bits of the setting are a few names marked on a map. ;)

Unfortunately I don't think the sales I'd make to you and the two or three other people who might be interested would justify the time' date=' labor, and research costs involved. ;)[/quote']

Yeah, that one definitely falls into the labour of love category, and not the kind of thing that'll put bread on the table.

I have umpteen notes on a historical game project: England's mid-12th century civil war known as the Anarchy, known to the Peterborough chroniclers as "19 years in which Christ and his saints slept" and to modern readers as "the time Pillars of the Earth is set in".

But since it doesn't pay for the bread, it keeps getting put off when bread-winning issues crop up. Alas , time and energy to focus on such projects seems less than it used to.

Steve, since he makes his living with writing game books, clearly has to focus on (a) stuff that will sell in sufficient quantities and (B) stuff that offers a reasonable return on his time invested in researching and writing. And writing's the easy part.

That being said, these Tuala Morn additions seem very cool. I'd buy as many of them as you produce, Steve. But first I'll order Tuala Morn itself. :)

I approve of this course of action. :)

Heh. It's been on my wishlist a very long time, but this little thread has told me far more about what kind of setting it is than the description in the store. I should have got it yonks ago.

I'd love to see your material on the Vulkarings--I have an interest in that sort of culture. Given that real-world Brittanica was "colonized" by a number of Vikings that later became the Saxons (I think, must re-read some history again,) some insight in the people would be fun.

Welp, I finally got to the "Lands and Lords of Acquitaine" part of the manuscript -- probably the biggest single section (aside perhaps from Magic, we'll see how that goes), and certainly one of the most important for many campaigns. Just finished writing up the Duchy of Armagnac. Only seventeen more duchies to go... and Ronceval Forest... and likely some things I haven't thought of yet. :eek::nonp::)

What? Ridiculous. (I can't do this - being something of a completist junkie fan-boy' date=' once I buy one of the them I'll have to buy all of them).[/quote']

I'm much the same way. Since I have no Fantasy Hero stuff at this point, this could get expensive.

I'd love to see your material on the Vulkarings--I have an interest in that sort of culture. Given that real-world Brittanica was "colonized" by a number of Vikings that later became the Saxons (I think' date=' must re-read some history again,) some insight in the people would be fun.[/quote']

Ahem!

The Saxons, Jutes, and/or Angles (depending on who you read) were basically Germans/Dutch (or germanic, anyways) and turned up to do their raiding and plundering a couple of hundred years before the vikings really got going - by which time, they had mostly turned into the people that the Vikings raided in England! The Vikings are from further north - Scandinavia, not Germany (though things got a bit fuzzy where those two lands overlapped).

cheers, Mark

I'd love to see your material on the Vulkarings--I have an interest in that sort of culture. Given that real-world Brittanica was "colonized" by a number of Vikings that later became the Saxons (I think' date=' must re-read some history again,) some insight in the people would be fun.[/quote']

Ahem!

The Saxons, Jutes, and/or Angles (depending on who you read) were basically Germans/Dutch (or germanic, anyways) and turned up to do their raiding and plundering a couple of hundred years before the vikings really got going - by which time, they had mostly turned into the people that the Vikings raided in England! The Vikings are from further north - Scandinavia, not Germany (though things got a bit fuzzy where those two lands overlapped).

cheers, Mark

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding:

1. What I am talking about is a fictional setting, not historical information.

2. I'm not writing a historical sourcebook on the pre-Christian peoples of Europe (or anywhere else, come to think of it ;) )

There are certainly plenty of tidbits I think you could borrow from Tuala Morn and material expanding on the setting to suit a game set in Dark Ages Europe, but that's definitely not the main thrust of what I'm creating.

Nope, I've understood just right! :-) My side project is a campaign world with cultures similar to the pre-Christian Saxons, Slavs, and Celts, as well as Egyptians, Phoenicians, and early Persians. I don't want to mimic those cultures, just borrow interesting tidbits from them as a sort of short-hand reference for the players. If you have used tidbits of these cultures in your setting, it's quite possible it's close enough that I could get away with stealing large amounts of material, rather than figuring out just what to incorporate on my own. If this campaign is ever used, it'll be for a set of friends that want their gaming light on culture and heavy on dungeons, so the cultures really are a way for me to design slight differences into the world and come up with ideas.

Nope, I've understood just right! :-) My side project is a campaign world with cultures similar to the pre-Christian Saxons, Slavs, and Celts, as well as Egyptians, Phoenicians, and early Persians. I don't want to mimic those cultures, just borrow interesting tidbits from them as a sort of short-hand reference for the players. If you have used tidbits of these cultures in your setting, it's quite possible it's close enough that I could get away with stealing large amounts of material, rather than figuring out just what to incorporate on my own. If this campaign is ever used, it'll be for a set of friends that want their gaming light on culture and heavy on dungeons, so the cultures really are a way for me to design slight differences into the world and come up with ideas.

OK, fair enough. ;) To a large extent that definitely describes my Tuala Morn/Northlands setting -- I draw ideas and "flavor" from both real-world cultures and inspirational fiction*, then "game-ify it up a bit," to create something that I think is both playable and fun. (And for that matter, a valid setting for fiction; I've written a bunch of Tuala Morn short stories.) YMMV, of course -- you may want more history, or a different "flavor," or what have you -- but I'm willing to bet there are at least some tidbits you could make use of. ;)

*: The Bibliography in TM itself includes the inspirational fiction for it, ranging from actual Irish myths/legends to Vance's sublime Lyonesse Trilogy, Keith Taylor's "Bard" books, and plenty of others. For Acquitaine, Clark Ashton Smith's "Averoigne" stories definitely get top inspirational billing, but there are probably bits of C.L. Moore's Jirel of Joiry tales, a touch of Cabell's "Poictesme," and other more French-ified Fantasy stories.

I'd would buy any and all of these. I would beg you, however, to make sure the PDFs are printer friendly. Success with formatting PDFs on my e-reader is hit and miss and for a number of reasons it is just not practicle for me to sit at my computer to read.

Well, all I can promise really is that they will print well on my printer. ;) Hopefully that means they print well on most other peoples' printers too. I will lay them out in the most useful and attractive way my simple layout skills allow, but that's about all I can do.

If it is mostly just text it usually isn't an issue. If you decide to have a textured or shaded background though, it can be a pain. I don't really know much about making PDFs, some some companies make them with a "Printer friendly version" as either a seperate file or an option in the PDF to turn off any background "noise". (Although that can have its own issues. My GM recently got a PDF whose printer friendly version eliminated the page numbers along with the textured background.)

Acquitaine...

Logres ("Fantasy Arthurian England")

Kelmark and Vulkringland ("Fantasy Denmark and Scandinavia," i.e. Fantasy Vikings and suchlike)

Turonia ("Fantasy Tribal Germany," including some parts that are "Fantasy Hungary" and "Fantasy Bulgaria")

Talianora ("Fantasy Italy/late Roman Empire," kinda-sorta)

I'm also late to this party, but yes, I'd strongly consider purchasing any of the above. Acquitaine, Kelmakr/Vulringladn and Turonia sound especially interesting.

I think you should also consider:

1. A Kickstarter for artwork and layout for Acquitaine. Can't hurt to ask.

2. Adventures for Tuala Morn, in a format similar to the pulp adventures. I'd be looking for something fairly well developed here, so I can just "grab and go" as much as possible.

Howdy folx! In a blatant effort to keep people interested in this potential project, I thought I'd post a little sample -- specifically, a map!

This weekend (and in the days to come) I've been working on improving my skills with Campaign Cartographer 3, and I decided I'd try to put what I'd learned to use redrawing the map of Acquitaine. It came out pretty well, all things considered, though I may make a few tweaks or try doing it all over at some point.

As you'll see, this looks pretty good on the screen, but you may not want to print it out unless you have a color printer -- otherwise all the background colors become greytones and don't look so good.

Anyhow, hope you like it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43365[/ATTACH]