Earlier version of the Champions Superteam

Yansuf

I am trying to remember the older versions of the Champions.

The one before the current (4th edition I think) was Defender, Solitaire, Seeker, a female energy projector who was an MD in her secret ID (she might have been named Quantum), and an exiled alien prince who was their brick.

Before that there was a version with Defender, Jaguar, and 3 others.

Can anyone recall the names?

Re: Earlier version of the Champions Superteam

Fifth Edition had: The Champions- Defender, Sapphire, Ironclad, Nighthawk and Witchcraft.

Fourth Edition was: The Champions- Defender, Jaguar, Seeker, Solitaire, Quantum and Obsidian.

First through Third Editions had: The Guardians- Marksman, Flare, Giant, Rose and Icestar.

I thought the CNM version of Seeker was absurdly generic. The 4e version was goofy, but at least he was original.

I have a soft spot for Starburst and Crusader, the sample heroes from the 1st-3rd edition rules. (They were in 4th as well, of course, but in a subordinate role.) They were terrible builds - Starburst was particularly bad at the beginning - but they were interesting characters.

I think what they show is that you don't need pages and pages of interminable detail to make a character interesting. In fact, it might be useful to include a tl;dr version with every character origin story, just to help train people to write without waffling on.

Wasn't it the 3E versions that had both a hero and villain background for all their example characters?

Yeah, I liked those a lot. I tended to blend them in and give me reasons to bring some of the old school guys to the other side if I needed.

I master a campaign in the CNM setting.

Most of the team members are pretty interesting, but I have to admit two of them are very diffciult to control. Seeker and Behemoth.

The first because he's killer in background and has nothing stopping him from killing people except the palyer common sense - a bit like Wolverine in a way - and Behemoth himself is hyper dangerous when he enrages with his monstrous demonic form and his super high Strength.

And, they are too the most powerful members of the team , built with more than 500 character points each... Yes I do run an unbalnced character campaign but it allows me more suppleness.

To be able to control those two, I had to make sure to have the good players for them, and to keep an eye on them more than others.

New Millenium Opale

First through Third Editions had: The Guardians- Marksman' date=' Flare, Giant, Rose and Icestar.[/quote']

What about Gargoyle? And their favorite (to use the term loosely) reporter, Gyro-Jim? Ah, fond memories!

All except for Mechanon. I really would have liked a Hero origin for Mechanon.

Not at all difficult to do, actually. 3E Mechanon was a superteam's security robot that developed a programming flaw (to put it mildly). Keep the original programming, invert a few Psych Lims, and you're pretty well set.

Not at all difficult to do' date=' actually. 3E Mechanon was a superteam's security robot that developed a programming flaw (to put it mildly). Keep the original programming, invert a few Psych Lims, and you're pretty well set.[/quote']

Sure. But it's telling that they didn't even bother doing that much.

The other side of that was that heroic Mechanon was unsuitable as a PC, given how much more powerful he was than the other NPCs in the book. The other characters were built as starting characters, and could thus be played in a standard starting game.

Hmm... exercise: build 3e characters comparable in power to Mechanon, with both hero and villain options. Upgrading the other example characters would be a good start.