British Heroes

lamborghini

I remember asking a question a long long time ago after the release of the heroes worldwide release why UK was not included and wastold by Steve that this was because there would be another UK heroes book soon.

So...a long long time later..I'm still waiting. Whatever happened?

Aaaah broken promises, the scourge of the world.

Re: British Heroes

Let's be clear: first, I said that it was Hero's intention to do another "Kingdom Of Champions" book at some point. I never said it would be "soon" (whatever that might mean), nor did I ever "promise" that Hero absolutely, positively would do one.

Unfortunately, Hero simply hasn't been able to get around to that particular project yet. Just finding an author for it (since I don't consider myself qualified to write it) was a task I never accomplished, since my standards for outside freelancers were and are pretty high.

I'm sure Hero would still like to do a new KoC; there's definitely some interesting material there. But I don't think it's likely to happen in the near term. And there are certainly other Champions supplements that can be done more easily and cheaply that would sell in more or less the same numbers.

The problem is that almost every other part of the Champions Universe has been covered- so the British Isles feels rather left behind. Champions Worldwide had a guide to set adventures everywhere in the world with villians to fight and heroes to team up with, and that was 5th edition not 6th. Now it looks like there are no supervillians of note in Britian or Ireland while somewhere like Canada has FOUR.

I can see what SL is saying about finding the right writer for the supplement...but is there really more demand for Luche Libre Hero than for a supplement set in England?

Notable heroes and villains of the British Isles are named and very briefly described in Champions Universe for both Fifth and Sixth Edition. I agree it's not enough, but at least it's something. Pursuant to death tribble's suggestion above, based on that information there's actually a lot of similarity between the current official characters and those written up in Kingdom of Champions for Fourth Edition.

Providing enough money to hire a qualified writer and publish an updated KOC is high on my list of post-lottery-win projects. :winkgrin:

DT, here's a question for you and other Brits on the board. What's changed in the United Kingdom culturally, economically, and other wise that would shape the feel of a Champions game based there? The recent riots, the upcoming Olympics, and so on. I always pictured the CU as just a bit shinier and happier overall (Until some villain tears through a town or even a country; Takofanes tearing through the US was probably not a happy moment) but I wonder how otherwise the UK would respond to costumed masked individuals flying around. Would they have more or less support than in the US, etc?

That all depends when you have them make their first appearance. If it is World War II then there is a great difference in the perception. However I will also speak to a colleague and get back to you on this.

Well, given this would still be the CU, I think WW2 would probably be when superheroes would really achieve notice by the general public

DT' date=' here's a question for you and other Brits on the board. What's changed in the United Kingdom culturally, economically, and other wise that would shape the feel of a Champions game based there? The recent riots, the upcoming Olympics, and so on. I always pictured the CU as just a bit shinier and happier overall (Until some villain tears through a town or even a country; Takofanes tearing through the US was probably not a happy moment) but I wonder how otherwise the UK would respond to costumed masked individuals flying around. Would they have more or less support than in the US, etc?[/quote']

Not much different from a USA based one but you have to think on a much smaller scale. Out little country is a lot smaller and not as high rise as the US cities.

My campaign is based on Oxfordshire (where we live) which is not very big and does not have most of the things mentioned in Millenium City so you have to improvise. London you could possibly get away with more. Also we can travel around the country very quickly not like the USA.

There were no riots in Oxfordshire and at the time I was not running a game to have the heroes go in and stop the riots in our game world.

One of my players wanted to try for the olympics but he was a mutant and mutants are not allowed in my olympics (even though he said his Teleport powers had no effect on his archery ability which he wanted to go for (he had no super power linked to archery just a very high OCV). Mutants are detectable and they are screened for in a super powered world based olympics).

And like in the US, heroes have been around for a while.

So a lot of the US villains get converted to British ones and I use the time line from the Champions Universe with some of it being based in Europe.

It is like other people comment about things like heroes of racial minorities or different sexual orientation. It would be nice to have a recent book based on the British Isles with British heroes and villains with British backgrounds. Yes it is quite easy to convert Americans ones to British ones by playing with the back stories and you can make your own. But it is a lot better to have your own Brit Heroes and Villains with their own background and a connection to the place you live.

So the Brits would be very interested in a book, but we are probably not going to get you your kickstarter (especially as in some cases you seem to relate to postage to Europe as being the same as the cost of the book, so Europeans pay twice as much for the lower end kickstarter contribution. Which I do not think is fair as $25 to $50 postage for a book to Europe is a bit high and may get more of us contributing more if it was lower).

Use Kingdom of Champions and update quoth the erstwhile Brit

This. The 4th edition Kingdom of Champions is still perfectly usable. The character stats are the least important part of the content, IMO, and any GM should be able to update those if they've got the least ability to run a game. The rest of the book is still good for background. You can use a little Google-Fu to catch up on current events.

Not much different from a USA based one but you have to think on a much smaller scale. Out little country is a lot smaller and not as high rise as the US cities.

My campaign is based on Oxfordshire (where we live) which is not very big and does not have most of the things mentioned in Millenium City so you have to improvise. London you could possibly get away with more. Also we can travel around the country very quickly not like the USA.

There were no riots in Oxfordshire and at the time I was not running a game to have the heroes go in and stop the riots in our game world.

One of my players wanted to try for the olympics but he was a mutant and mutants are not allowed in my olympics (even though he said his Teleport powers had no effect on his archery ability which he wanted to go for (he had no super power linked to archery just a very high OCV). Mutants are detectable and they are screened for in a super powered world based olympics).

And like in the US, heroes have been around for a while.

So a lot of the US villains get converted to British ones and I use the time line from the Champions Universe with some of it being based in Europe.

It is like other people comment about things like heroes of racial minorities or different sexual orientation. It would be nice to have a recent book based on the British Isles with British heroes and villains with British backgrounds. Yes it is quite easy to convert Americans ones to British ones by playing with the back stories and you can make your own. But it is a lot better to have your own Brit Heroes and Villains with their own background and a connection to the place you live.

So the Brits would be very interested in a book, but we are probably not going to get you your kickstarter (especially as in some cases you seem to relate to postage to Europe as being the same as the cost of the book, so Europeans pay twice as much for the lower end kickstarter contribution. Which I do not think is fair as $25 to $50 postage for a book to Europe is a bit high and may get more of us contributing more if it was lower).

Could Hero arrange for it be printed under license in the UK (and still profit)? Would that even create a savings somehow?

Could Hero arrange for it be printed under license in the UK (and still profit)? Would that even create a savings somehow?

Probably not as I expect there are more non British who would buy it just to import them into their setting then there will be Brits to buy it for their campaigns as I expect a good proportion of British run games are based in America using the standard game universe just to save on time converting everything.

The problem is that almost every other part of the Champions Universe has been covered- so the British Isles feels rather left behind. Champions Worldwide had a guide to set adventures everywhere in the world with villians to fight and heroes to team up with, and that was 5th edition not 6th. Now it looks like there are no supervillians of note in Britian or Ireland while somewhere like Canada has FOUR.

I can see what SL is saying about finding the right writer for the supplement...but is there really more demand for Luche Libre Hero than for a supplement set in England?

I'm pretty sure there are more than 4 villains from the UK scattered throughout the 3 volumes of the CVV. Volume 3 for instance has three - Black Paladin, Cairngorm and Cateran. Beyond villains that are explicitly from the British Isles, there are scads of villains whose background doesn't say anything at all about where they are originally from. So, there is no more work in claiming them than simply saying 'hey, Morningstar is from Dublin'.

However, if you want heroes and villains with a distinctly English feel to them, you would probably need a resident of the isles to write a supplement. Hey, what are you doing at this time?

Another way of stretching out the available villains is to use immigrants.

Grab a character from a suitable country in Champions Worldwide, and make up an excuse for them being in the UK.

This is a trick I've used in Australian based games. I pinch characters from countries we get a lot of immigrants from, including the UK and Ireland.

Modifying characters so that they are born in the UK can be a bit tricky sometimes, but often manageable.

Let's see: grab characters from Canada, Australia, India, Pakistan, the Caribbean, Hong Kong (China or Taiwan would do...), Africa, continental Europe... There's eight right there, all quite plausibly "British".

And that's just the "likely" ones. Even in the rather nothing provincial city I live in in Australia has people from pretty much everywhere in the world. Justifying a character from any country in the world is easy here, and much easier in the UK, especially within a few hours drive from London.

Don't forget Atlanteans, Empyreans and aliens either.