New Math suggests that Warp Drive may actually be possible

Tasha

So it appears that changing the shape of the Warp generators decreases the power required for it to work. Also stuttering the field also gives huge power savings.

So it's looking like it may be possible to produce AD2300's Stutterwarp drive. Theoretically capable of moving ships at 10x the speed of light.

Article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/warp-drive-may-more-feasible-thought-scientists-161301109.html

Damn, and I was hoping for something like Jump Space or Hyperspace to be available. LOL. Darned thing probably won't work anyways, but one can hope!

Tasha

Re: New Math suggests that Warp Drive may actually be possible

So it appears that changing the shape of the Warp generators decreases the power required for it to work. Also stuttering the field also gives huge power savings.

So it's looking like it may be possible to produce AD2300's Stutterwarp drive. Theoretically capable of moving ships at 10x the speed of light.

Article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/warp-drive-may-more-feasible-thought-scientists-161301109.html

Damn, and I was hoping for something like Jump Space or Hyperspace to be available. LOL. Darned thing probably won't work anyways, but one can hope!

Tasha

This is probably a lot closer to Star Trek's warp drive than AD2300's stutterwarp; the latter's "FTL via quantum tunneling" remains de-bunked, but the warp drive in the linked article works via "warped space" principles. Now we just need some exotic matter....

I'm thinking kickstarter.

:rofl: I'm totally gonna steal that!

I just finished reading John Scalzi's Redshirts and now I'm thinking about doing a SF parody at some point. The Galactic Assembly of Planets (The GAP, for short) will have a flagship, the Dubious Enterprise, and it shall be powered by the mighty Kickstarter Drive!

Being old enough to remember much wailing and gnashing of teeth by people of my parents' generation over "The New Math" curriculum of the early 1960s, the thread title gives me the giggles as an initial template for an NGD-style game, filling in the blank of the sentence, "New Math suggests [or indicates] _________________" and going for the greatest absurdity possible.

This is a heck of a thing--makes me hope we might have interstellar travel in our lifetime. That would be one of those things like Lindbergh's flight across the Atlantic, or the first moon landing--that would make people say "If we can accomplish this--we can accomplish anything!"

When was the last time we said that?

It drops the power density requirements from "Impossible without a pet black hole" to something that we might be able to achieve with antimatter. It's really really groundbreaking and AWESOME news, but I doubt we'll see it in our lives unless we extend our lifespans. I expect we'll be able to take advantage of this discovery in about a century unless we go all Singularity, in which case we might solve all the technical problems pretty quickly. Then it's just down to actually building it and testing... but yeah... crazy exciting news, and not something I ever expected to hear :D

It drops the power density requirements from "Impossible without a pet black hole" to something that we might be able to achieve with antimatter.

But it doesn't deal with the real problem which is getting even a single gram of negative mass, much less five hundred kilograms.

Being old enough to remember much wailing and gnashing of teeth by people of my parents' generation over "The New Math" curriculum of the early 1960s' date=' the thread title gives me the giggles as an initial template for an NGD-style game, filling in the blank of the sentence, "New Math suggests [or indicates'] _________________" and going for the greatest absurdity possible.

Did someone say "New Math"? :eg:

But it doesn't deal with the real problem which is getting even a single gram of negative mass' date=' much less five hundred kilograms.[/quote']

Yeah, but we've had some successes in creating anti-protons using accelerators firing into cushions of neutral particles.

We're still at, IMHO, the banging-rocks-together-to-make-sparks level for this tech, which is why even with the current rate of advancement I give it a hundred years or so.

anti-protons have POSITIVE mass

outside the casimir effect, and "electron-holes" we have yet to encounter anything real that has negativer mass

...and the occasional "answer" on physics 101 exams, of course. Unfortunately, most of those turn out to be mistakes.