Costumes

Cassandra

In the thread "What Elements are important to a Great Superhero Campaign?" I brought up the need for costumes, and that got a lot of positive response. So I'm wondering who of the classic comic book characters have the best and worst costumes in the opinion of those who care about such things.

Best Costume

Wonder Woman (Any of the swimsuit variants)

Worst Costume

Black Canary (Post Crisis Jump Suit with headband)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Costumes

Well... I remember thinking that a whole lot of Image and other Iron Age "hero" costumes were ridiculous. Worst were the costumes with all the massive spiky metal parts. A costume should not make me think that the character would kill himself if he trips and falls on it.

Pouches, another Iron Age costume fetish, were not so bad. Even if a character doesn't need them to hold ammo for his silly oversized gun, pouches can hold useful stuff such as first aid supplies, a wallet, or a toothbrush. (Hey, it's nice to have a toothbrush if you're snatched off to Kimension X and can't get back quickly.) I doubt the comics of the '90s ever portrayed costume pouches as used for this, but I could be wrong.

Kestrel, a villain from Hawk & Dove, had a subtly bad costume. The purple and black tights were okay. The long black streamers he had instead of a cape looked cool as all get-out but... Wow, they looked really easy to get arms and legs tangled in. Maybe Kestrel had a super-power to prevent this. (A variation on certain female heroes' power to run in heels, perhaps.)

Dean Shomshak

In the thread "What Elements are important to a Great Superhero Campaign?" I brought up the need for costumes, and that got a lot of positive response. So I'm wondering who of the classic comic book characters have the best and worst costumes in the opinion of those who care about such things.

Best Costume

Wonder Woman (Any of the swimsuit variants)

Worst Costume

Black Canary (Post Crisis Jump Suit with headband)

Perfect example of the subjectivity of clothing tastes, because I would reverse those. I always saw the WW swimsuit designs as fundamentally sexist, while I approved of Black Canary's post-Crisis look -- first time I didn't see her as a biker-babe/hooker. But again, subjective. ;)

Still speaking subjectively, I consider Captain Mar-Vell's classic outfit to be one of the most dynamic superhero costumes ever. Primary colors, clean simple lines, bold and striking.

751081-cap_mar_vell_super.jpg

Kestrel, a villain from Hawk & Dove, had a subtly bad costume. The purple and black tights were okay. The long black streamers he had instead of a cape looked cool as all get-out but... Wow, they looked really easy to get arms and legs tangled in. Maybe Kestrel had a super-power to prevent this. (A variation on certain female heroes' power to run in heels, perhaps.)

Dean Shomshak

Not fundamentally different from capes in that regard, speaking pragmatically. Batman has the most impractical cape in all of comics, but it looks so darn cool you just have to go with it.

I was actually impressed that Chris Hemsworth's full-length cape as movie Thor didn't cause him to trip all the time in action shots. From behind-the-scenes features I've seen, the wardrobe designers worked long and hard to develop a cape that would do the things it does in comics. (Now if they could just get Hemsworth to wear the darn helmet.)

Speaking of female costume super-powers, Wonder Woman's classic comic-book bustier must have anti-gravity -- or be attached with spirit gum -- to stay on with no fabric in the back to support it.

Good Costumes

Zatanna (Magicians Outfit)

Black Widow (Black Jump Suit was the best, but the Grey wasn't bad either)

Power Girl (Original White Costume)

Bad Costumes

Any the X-Men are wearing (Let's face it, they are outcast from society solely because of their fashion sense, not because they are mutants.)

Power Girl (Any costume other then the original White one)

Of the older comics, I'd say my favorites would be Captain Mar-Vell, Nightwing (disco), Hawkeye (WCA), Ms. Marvel, Dark Phoenix, Deathlok, Wonder Girl (Donna w/ Red Jumper), Classic Cyborg, Classic Firestorm, Fantastic Four (Black & White), Wonder Woman (white outfit), Spidey (Clone/Spider-Girl) and Shadowcat. My least favorite for classics would be '90s Hercules, Forgotten One, Firebird, Darkhawk, Dr. Druid. Namor (speedo), X-Men Graduation Costumes (from the '70s IIRC) and '90s Green Arrow (Hawke).

Of the newer stuff, I like Firestorm, Flash, Green Arrow, Captain Marvel, and Red Robin from DC's New52, and kind of dig the new Fantastic Four outfits from Marvel Now. However, I'm not a fan of the Katana, Superman or Superboy redesigns, nor of Havok, Cap or Scarlet Witch from the latest runs. I really like what they did with Spidey's outfit for the movie, Amazing Spider-Man.

Of the older comics, I'd say my favorites would be Captain Mar-Vell, Nightwing (disco), Hawkeye (WCA), Ms. Marvel, Dark Phoenix, Deathlok, Wonder Girl (Donna w/ Red Jumper), Classic Cyborg, Classic Firestorm, Fantastic Four (Black & White), Wonder Woman (white outfit), Spidey (Clone/Spider-Girl) and Shadowcat. My least favorite for classics would be '90s Hercules, Forgotten One, Firebird, Darkhawk, Dr. Druid. Namor (speedo), X-Men Graduation Costumes (from the '70s IIRC) and '90s Green Arrow (Hawke).

Of the newer stuff, I like Firestorm, Flash, Green Arrow, Captain Marvel, and Red Robin from DC's New52, and kind of dig the new Fantastic Four outfits from Marvel Now. However, I'm not a fan of the Katana, Superman or Superboy redesigns, nor of Havok, Cap or Scarlet Witch from the latest runs. I really like what they did with Spidey's outfit for the movie, Amazing Spider-Man.

Zatanna's "work" clothes. I love Perez's work' date=' but the lobster on her head was too much.[/quote']

I actually like that outfit and prefer it to the work clothes. As it does not have stockings.

Similarly Mockingbird's first costume as it did not show off the legs seemingly for the heck of it.

Some costumes work because the design is simple for example The Flash (Barry Allen and Wally West). Predominately red and with the lightning bolt, what else did you need ?

I always liked Nightcrawler and Colossus's costumes in the X-Men as they were simple.

I like Grifter from WildCATS as his costume was simple, mask and the coat. However when Jae Lee drew him it was awful.

Similarly Velocity and Cyblade in Cyberforce have good costumes.

I am a Legion fan but prefer that the female characters don't have cut away costumes as some have had of late. They have kept Mon El as is and that again is a simple and effective costume.

There is a female villain called I believe Nightshade who clashed with Power Man and Ironfist (IIRC) and her costume was a nonsense. Then she went to work with Suprema (IIRC) in a Captain America story arc and her costume was decent. Apparantly she went back to the old version. Disappointing.

I prefer Psylocke's costume in the X-Men from when she first joined to the Ninja stuff that came later.