Costumes

Cassandra

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Costumes

Mockingbird went with bare legs when she went to the West Coast Avengers. The claim was on the California heat.

What kind of tribble doesn't like stockings or legs?

But for fighting villains ?

The modification seemed just to be for fan service on Mockingbird.

And I started with the Blue costume on Zatanna so it looks silly when she fights crooks in her street clothes.

Wonder Woman's costume started out that way and works. Besides she's an Amazon and they like the Ancient Greeks did not wear a lot.

Which brings to mind The Silver Surfer and The Thing. The Surfer has a metallic body shorn of all recognisable features.

The Thing is often seen wearing nothing but trunks and that works. The Hulk on the other hand changes and becomes the Hulk shredding his clothes of the moment.

But for fighting villains ?

The modification seemed just to be for fan service on Mockingbird.

And I started with the Blue costume on Zatanna so it looks silly when she fights crooks in her street clothes.

Wonder Woman's costume started out that way and works. Besides she's an Amazon and they like the Ancient Greeks did not wear a lot.

Which brings to mind The Silver Surfer and The Thing. The Surfer has a metallic body shorn of all recognisable features.

The Thing is often seen wearing nothing but trunks and that works. The Hulk on the other hand changes and becomes the Hulk shredding his clothes of the moment.

Scarlet Witch wore a red body stocking under a corseted swimsuit.

Never liked the JLA Zatanna outfit. Apparently neither did 99% of her fans.

Surfer wears trunks and boots.

Almost looks like you're confusing Liefield with Image.

Kestrel was similar to Hawk with that cape.

Likely so. :) I never cared enough to find out who made what, except I knew that McFarlane did Spawn. (And I'd forgotten that Hawk had the streamers too. Been a looong time since I looked at those comics.)

Speaking of Spawn, he'd be another example of "costume that would kill its wearer" with all the chains... except I gather the chains are magically animate and sort of, um, part of him? So So he'd no more get tangled up in them than an octopus would get tangled in its own tentacles. So, he gets the coolness without a hazard penalty.

Dean Shomshak

Speaking of stockings

Black Canary's fishnet are a must. Same goes with Zatanna.

Both Fawcett and Marvel's Captain Marvel costumes are good.

I agree about the Flash and Kid Flash.

Wonder Girl (Donna Troy) has had a lot of costumes, but only the original Wonder Woman inspired one, and the red jumper work for me (The one in Super Best Friends Forever.)

I think when the writers our out of ideas they change the costume.

Surfer wears trunks and boots.

The original Silver Surfer, drawn by Jack Kirby, wore neither. His body was seamlessly covered head-to-toe in that metallic glaze (including merging his toes in a bootlike shape), wearing nothing. Later versions of the Surfer, such as his classic John Buscema solo title, added a trunks line so he wouldn't appear "naked." But that's been dispensed with for at least twenty years.

DC's reboot of Captain Atom is similarly sheathed in a metallic skin, and also lacks a trunks line.

Uma Thurman My Super Ex-Girlfriend

G-Girl had a series of different costumes, which makes sense since her powers didn't protect them.

As far as best, I'm going to go with Spider-Man out of practical reasons. Why is it a garish red and blue? Because it was originally a show-business costume. It's a stretchy leotard because that's what works with his powers. The big mirrored eye holes avoid interfering with his peripheral vision, and nobody would be able to recognise him except by his voice.

I would not give the nod to Wonder Woman. Honestly her classic costume is awful. She'd be popping out of her bustier ever time she made a vigorous movement. But Looker's original costume was atrocious in colour and design. Fortunately she could use her power while standing very still, since that kept her high-heels from killing her. 397px-Outsiders31.JPG

Good costumes (not already mentioned)

Phoenix's green and yellow costume (Iron Fist's costume in the same color scheme isn't bad either)

Moon Knight's costume

Bad costumes

Pretty much everything designed by Jim Lee for the new DC is either bad or at the very least not near as good as the costume it's replacing.

The new TV show Arrow gives a good example of "realistic" Dark Champions level costumes.

Huntress will get one that looks like her comic book one next week. When she was introduced in the last episode I first suspected the T-Mobile Girl had snapped.

I can see you have never laced a woman into a corset

Corsets can have what is known as boning in them(think metal,plastic or bamboo strips shaped like a hacksaw blade without the saw edge)(though I have seen hacksaw blades used)

the idea being that you squeeze the middle of a woman giving an hourglass look

the boning and fabric hold breasts up and in place and the support is by the corset resting on the woman's hips

I have laced many women into corsets and bodices in my 22 yrs of working Ren Faire

a few had enough metal boning in them to be almost armor plate

Speaking of female costume super-powers, Wonder Woman's classic comic-book bustier must have anti-gravity -- or be attached with spirit gum -- to stay on with no fabric in the back to support it.

I can see you have never laced a woman into a corset

Corsets can have what is known as boning in them(think metal,plastic or bamboo strips shaped like a hacksaw blade without the saw edge)(though I have seen hacksaw blades used)

the idea being that you squeeze the middle of a woman giving an hourglass look

the boning and fabric hold breasts up and in place and the support is by the corset resting on the woman's hips

I have laced many women into corsets and bodices in my 22 yrs of working Ren Faire

a few had enough metal boning in them to be almost armor plate

Originally the boning was whale bone.