what superpower would make you put on a cape?

dustytomes

I've been thinking about superpowers in "real life" lately.

Flying has to be one of the coolest powers but... It wouldn't make me "put on a Cape."

Maybe I'm just chickenspit but I am not going up against gun tot'n homisidal maniacs Cuz I can FLY!!!

But you give me Desolid and I'm there JACK!

So, what is the minimum superpower(s) that would make you put on a cape in real life?

Bulletproof me (and pummel proof me) and I'll be highly tempted but still nervous. Flight plus bulletproofing? Even more likely, because getting away would be crucial. If I didn't end up slipping out of my clothes, stretchy might encompass all I need (Long legs for get away, bullet resistant, etc). Simple invisibility? I'd use it as whistleblower maybe, but not often a superhero.

Superstrength would be awesome, but in a world where I can buy a taser or something, not as necessary as the defenses.

I can't sew, so my costume would either suck or be a trademark infringement :)

If its not too much to ask, could I have 20/20 vision? Be nice to have decent eyes again, and then I could keep the frames and clark kent people :)

I'm not sure ANY superpower would motivate me to put on a cape and become a crimefighting superhero. Why? Because the chances of my stumbling across a crime in progress are virtually nil. How many times have you encountered a situation in your life to date where you thought, "Darn! If only I had superpowers I could totally take care of this!" Rarely or never, I'd bet.

We already have costumed crimefighters. They're called "the police." And there are hundreds or thousands of them in any big city, constantly patrolling the city, and even so they almost never discover a crime IN PROGRESS. They're called after the fact--or called while it's happening and (usually) arrive after its over. That's not to diss the police--it's just that criminals are seldom SO stupid as to commit a crime when/where they're likely to be spotted by the police. It happens, but not all that often.

So the addition of one additional crimefighter (i.e., me) seems not to be a big deal. Of course, if scores of super-powered folk go out and start committing crimes, that might change the equation. But in a world where I'm one of the only superpowered folk at large? No.

That said, the powers that I would gleefully use at every opportunity? Flight. Teleportation. Superhuman strength or invulnerability? They'd be nice, but really, in my generally sedate life there's simply not much call for them. But I'd go out of my way to find opportunities to fly, or to teleport.

Flight and resistance in any form may sound like great abilities but I cannot see much actual use for these (same with strength) (in their own). Another ability that seems as though it would be a wonderful power would be some form of blaster, but imagine what would happen when you miss the target. Instead the powerset that I would like (and I would not put on a costume):

superspeed (x100 human max)

+20 telescopic vision & hearing

some form of martial arts

200 END

30 STR

Resist Prot: 10PD/10ED/5FlashDef (Sight/Hear)/6MD

+10 OCV

+10 DCV

1 BODY/Turn Regen

Even with this powerset, I still will not become some form of vigilante. Most likely what I would end up doing is becoming a great traveler and seeing the world. Of course if some criminals happened be stopped while I was out roaming then all the much better, but that would not be the reason that I went out and I would not have on a costume and mask with some alias.

I'm not sure ANY superpower would motivate me to put on a cape and become a crimefighting superhero. Why? Because the chances of my stumbling across a crime in progress are virtually nil. How many times have you encountered a situation in your life to date where you thought, "Darn! If only I had superpowers I could totally take care of this!" Rarely or never, I'd bet.

We already have costumed crimefighters. They're called "the police." And there are hundreds or thousands of them in any big city, constantly patrolling the city, and even so they almost never discover a crime IN PROGRESS. They're called after the fact--or called while it's happening and (usually) arrive after its over. That's not to diss the police--it's just that criminals are seldom SO stupid as to commit a crime when/where they're likely to be spotted by the police. It happens, but not all that often.

So the addition of one additional crimefighter (i.e., me) seems not to be a big deal. Of course, if scores of super-powered folk go out and start committing crimes, that might change the equation. But in a world where I'm one of the only superpowered folk at large? No.

That said, the powers that I would gleefully use at every opportunity? Flight. Teleportation. Superhuman strength or invulnerability? They'd be nice, but really, in my generally sedate life there's simply not much call for them. But I'd go out of my way to find opportunities to fly, or to teleport.

Costumes automatically make one a "weirdness magnet". It all comes to you. You don't have to go looking for it.

How many times have you encountered a situation in your life to date where you thought' date=' "Darn! If only I had superpowers I could totally take care of this!" Rarely or never, I'd bet.[/quote']

Several occasions come to mind.

Lucius Alexander

Fortunately, most situations I can resolve with a palindromedary

Nothing. No power would motivate me to put on a cape and fight evil. Why? Simple, secret identities don't work and, maybe I'm unique in this age of "Reality TV", blogs, vlogs, and Tumblr, but I don't want to be famous. If I woke up tomorrow with superpowers, I'd try to do what the other Clark Kent did in Superman: Secret Identity. I'd help people covertly. If someone caught me on a video, I'd lie low till the press died down, then I'd go back to helping people,

I like my quiet life. I like living in an unimportant Toronto suburb, going to work, hanging out with my friends, and watching Elementary once a week. I don't need glory, I don't need to frighten "criminal scum", and I don't want to re-make the world in my image. Helping people is cool, but you don't need powers to do that. You just need empathy and a willingness to act.

This cape is so awesome you won't be able to resist trying it on!

Awesome Cape: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Mind Control 3d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Invisible to Mental Group; +1/4), Cumulative (72 points; +1), Damage Over Time, Target's defenses only apply once, Lock out (cannot be applied multiple times) (7-8 damage increments, damage occurs every 5 Minutes, +1 1/2) (60 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Set Effect (Wear this cape!; -1), Skin Contact Required (-1), Mandatory Effect EGO +20 (Must Always Achieve: thinks action was natural; -3/4), IAF (Cape; -1/2), Stops Working If Wearer Is Stunned (-1/2), Eye Contact Required (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9)

Anyone handling and examining this cape ("skin contact and eye contact") will find themselves unable to stop thinking how great it would be to wear it, until they are compelled to do so.

Or how about this one

Here, put on this cape: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Cosmetic Transform 10d6 (Person into Person Wearing cape) (30 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (Cape; -1), Rapid Healing (-1), No Range (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6)

Just try it on!

Lucius Alexander

The suspicious palindromedary checks for labels reading Nessus Shirt Factory

This cape is so awesome you won't be able to resist trying it on!

Awesome Cape: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) Mind Control 3d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Invisible to Mental Group; +1/4), Cumulative (72 points; +1), Damage Over Time, Target's defenses only apply once, Lock out (cannot be applied multiple times) (7-8 damage increments, damage occurs every 5 Minutes, +1 1/2) (60 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Set Effect (Wear this cape!; -1), Skin Contact Required (-1), Mandatory Effect EGO +20 (Must Always Achieve: thinks action was natural; -3/4), IAF (Cape; -1/2), Stops Working If Wearer Is Stunned (-1/2), Eye Contact Required (-1/2) (Real Cost: 9)

Anyone handling and examining this cape ("skin contact and eye contact") will find themselves unable to stop thinking how great it would be to wear it, until they are compelled to do so.

Or how about this one

Here, put on this cape: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Cosmetic Transform 10d6 (Person into Person Wearing cape) (30 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (Cape; -1), Rapid Healing (-1), No Range (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6)

Just try it on!

Lucius Alexander

The suspicious palindromedary checks for labels reading Nessus Shirt Factory

This reminds me of the Superstar episode of Buffy.