What is your superheroes weakness?

Cassandra

it varies from character to character but I always try to engineer some sort of weakness or shortcoming into a character usually more than one in fact. It feels more heroic to have something to overcome instead of being Mr Perfect and it gives the character room to grow. Also makes them more individualistic. Characters are often defined as much by their drawbacks as their strength, if not more so. For example look how many classic flying bricks could be use more or less the same character sheet if you ignore their disadvantages.

I personally dislike weaknesses and even Focus limitaitons immensely. I think the source material does not properly dispalys them in group adventures. And I never make Solo Heroes, so I try to avoid those like the pest-

I recently noticed that established heroes have two varriants of protrayal:

The Solo Act

The Group Hero

In Solo Mode the character is significantly more powerfull. If he is a gadget using hero, he has tools for everything. Ironman literally makes Role Specific armor (like the Hulkbuster, Stealth Armor) as rich pieople buy clothing for a dinner.

In Group mode he is toned down a lot. Iron Man in Avengers-Cartoon (2 26-Episode Seasons) barely used one alterantive amor. And it was the Arctic Armor, not a Role Armor. The same way Superman - while being an acomplished reporter and thus detective in his own Comic - relents the Role of Detective to Batman once they team up.

Why do I tell this? Because the only reason Kryptonite and Red Sun Weakness exists is because Superman in his own series got too powerfull for normal Humans to Challenge him.

That isn't so much true in Group Advnetures. There are much more villains to draw from, some of them using Mental Attacks and the heroes powers is "lowered down" significantly.

Also, lately the "need" for Kryptonite in stories was reduced thanks to the advent of Power Armor. Lex Luthor got his Kryptonian Tech Battle Armor simply because Kryptonite was being overused. And unlike the first days, giant piloted Robots and Power Armors are nowadays a valid plot device to even the terms (is there one Superman/Batman fight where the Bat was not wearing his Power Armor all the time, but saves the Kryptonite till the end - if at all?)

In group series the Kryptonite weakness almost completely vanishes. In the entire JL/JLU Animated Series run Kryptonite and Red Suns were used:

Once to fake Lex Luthor into a sense of security (so he confessed a crime) by letting the Martian Manhunter impersoante Superman. (Used as an advantage)

Once to against Amazo, but he later adapted and used it against Superman (so more of a tie)

Once in the Amazo Returns Story, just to show "Lex Luthors Bunker defenses are prepared for anything". Cara just dusted of her costume and was good to join the Air Defenses.

Once as plot device in the "Inner Earth" Story, also a "Supergirl without powers" Story. Here the weakness was conveniently removed/drained by the red sun in the earth (wich also drained her powers).

Once in the Death of Superman Storyline (part 2), wich for all intents was a Soloadventure for Superman. He got better once he found the Mc Guffin.

I hope I didn't miss a protrayal, but it think it is hard to dismiss when I say:

Kryptonite & Red Sun weakness might have played a mayor role in Earlier and Solo adventures. But one you enter Group Mode it becomes an informed (dis)ability at best. These portrayals don't seem remotely like what "Complication" is meant to represent.

I personally dislike weaknesses and even Focus limitaitons immensely. I think the source material does not properly dispalys them in group adventures. And I never make Solo Heroes, so I try to avoid those like the pest-

The Solo Act

The Group Hero

In Solo Mode the character is significantly more powerfull. If he is a gadget using hero, he has tools for everything. Ironman literally makes Role Specific armor (like the Hulkbuster, Stealth Armor) as rich pieople buy clothing for a dinner.

In Group mode he is toned down a lot. Iron Man in Avengers-Cartoon (2 26-Episode Seasons) barely used one alterantive amor. And it was the Arctic Armor, not a Role Armor. The same way Superman - while being an acomplished reporter and thus detective in his own Comic - relents the Role of Detective to Batman once they team up.

Why do I tell this? Because the only reason Kryptonite and Red Sun Weakness exists is because Superman in his own series got too powerfull for normal Humans to Challenge him.

That isn't so much true in Group Advnetures. There are much more villains to draw from, some of them using Mental Attacks and the heroes powers is "lowered down" significantly.

Also, lately the "need" for Kryptonite in stories was reduced thanks to the advent of Power Armor. Lex Luthor got his Kryptonian Tech Battle Armor simply because Kryptonite was being overused. And unlike the first days, giant piloted Robots and Power Armors are nowadays a valid plot device to even the terms (is there one Superman/Batman fight where the Bat was not wearing his Power Armor all the time, but saves the Kryptonite till the end - if at all?)

In group series the Kryptonite weakness almost completely vanishes. In the entire JL/JLU Animated Series run Kryptonite and Red Suns were used:

Once to fake Lex Luthor into a sense of security (so he confessed a crime) by letting the Martian Manhunter impersoante Superman. (Used as an advantage)

Once to against Amazo, but he later adapted and used it against Superman (so more of a tie)

Once in the Amazo Returns Story, just to show "Lex Luthors Bunker defenses are prepared for anything". Cara just dusted of her costume and was good to join the Air Defenses.

Once as plot device in the "Inner Earth" Story, also a "Supergirl without powers" Story. Here the weakness was conveniently removed/drained by the red sun in the earth (wich also drained her powers).

Once in the Death of Superman Storyline (part 2), wich for all intents was a Soloadventure for Superman. He got better once he found the Mc Guffin.

I hope I didn't miss a protrayal, but it think it is hard to dismiss when I say:

Kryptonite & Red Sun weakness might have played a mayor role in Earlier and Solo adventures. But one you enter Group Mode it becomes an informed (dis)ability at best. These portrayals don't seem remotely like what "Complication" is meant to represent.

In the original source material (comic books) Iron Man went years without changing his armor.

The Solo Act

The Group Hero

I know, right? I mean, you'd think that the Avengers "Secret Santa" giving him deodorant every year would have been a clue, but no....

I tend to prefer the problems that are personality-centered rather than damage-centered. Most of my char's sheets will have several problems like AccChange, Phys/Psy/Soc Comps, Hunteds, and others that require the char to behave in a certain manner over problems like Vuln, Susceptibility. This will apply in all parts of the sheet, not just the weakness section.

Tomorrow Boy's gadgets (including his instant change costume) are nullified in intense magnetic fields. Never came up in game play though.

Fantastic-Man's player gave him a weakness to Anti-Michelium (regular Michelium gave him his powers). I just introduced a red version that acts like Red Kryptonite. It was a hoot.

The Solo Act

The Group Hero

Honestly, the JLA version of Batman is significantly more powerful than his portrayal in Detective.

The Solo Act

The Group Hero

Batman could be the odd counter example. In his own comics he has to content with Joker and "Bricks" like Bane (barely an Elite Mook for Superman).

In JL adventures he has to contend with the foes of Superman, Wonder Woman and the like.

So he (and his nemesy) might even needed to be upgraded for group advnetures (at least where combat prowess and scemes power is concerned).