4th Edition supers campaign - would should I take from 5th and 6th

humantorch101

I am going to start a 4th edition supers campaign within the next few months and have decided to use the big blue book of 4th edition as the rules mainly because my player base has never used the hero system or been involved in a supers campaign before so I wanted to ensure that the simpler 4th edition rules did not overwhelm them with options.

My question to you guys is, those of you that still use 4th edition or know the hero system so well is this - What changes and amendments that took place in 5th and 6th edition (both of which I have) just scream out to be used in a superhero campaign?

what would you 100 percent port over to 4th edition? 

What would I backport from 5th and 6th to 4th...

Increase in base points to 350 or 400.

The new options in various Disadvantages.

Boost, a Suppress style version of Aid.

Flash repriced and changed to Segments not Phases.

Hand Attack repriced with required Limitation.

Healing/Regeneration adder for Regrow Limbs and Resurrection.

AVAD unifying AVLD and NND.

Area Effect constant instead of based on AP.

Requires Roll unifying Activation and RSR.

Variable Power Pool decoupled Pool cost from Control cost.

Probably more, but those are what I think of offhand.

Chris.

There's really not much of a difference between 4th and 5th edition. They are essentially the same game. A few point cost changes but mostly addition and expansion. 6th edition changes a lot including major shift in point costs, decoupling of secondary characteristics from the primaries, major changes in how some powers function etc.

Get Champions Complete.  $20 in the store or less here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/index.php?/topic/87904-hero-system-bundle-of-holding/ for the .pdf

That will bring you up to speed on 6e, which is still the same system as 4e, but with more bells and whistles and general loveliness.  It is not more complicated, and you won't need to port over the goodness.  Your players don't have 4e books by the sound of it and, even if you do, you can still use them with 6e.  I've got a copy of 4e Ninja Hero somewhere I still use.  Hero is backwards and forwards compatible :)

• 1 month later...

If you're dead set on this... The biggest interesting addition is the Damage Negation Power from 6E. It can help to more easily model Superheros immune to specific kinds of damage without needing to buy tons of Limited defenses. I recommend taking a look into it and seeing if it can make your game interesting.

Unified Power as opposed to Elemental Control. I know some folks don't like UP, but I think it is a godsend.

Barrier as opposed to Forcewall.

Resistant Defenses vs Armor, Force Field, Resistant Protection. 

Damage Negation (and Reduced Negation). It adds a bit of an arms race if you let it get out of hand, but still another layer of defense vs. damage.

Just a few things 6E streamlined. You can use all of those things as "base" powers that you can build the old standbys on.

I suppose I could have shortened that to "use Champions Complete." :)