Ladies Only (A discussion of all female groups in super worlds)

Hermit

Hey, on this topic vaguely but enough to be on-topic I believe, Hermit (or anyone), did you read the Bizarro book, the one with all the alternate versions/stories of established DC heroes? There's a really cool comic in there with Wonder Woman talking with a friend of hers who gave up "the life", it's just girl talk, very well done and gives a glimpse into female superheroine interaction. It's brief, but I'd still recommend it.

Originally posted by zornwil

Hey, on this topic vaguely but enough to be on-topic I believe, Hermit (or anyone), did you read the Bizarro book, the one with all the alternate versions/stories of established DC heroes? There's a really cool comic in there with Wonder Woman talking with a friend of hers who gave up "the life", it's just girl talk, very well done and gives a glimpse into female superheroine interaction. It's brief, but I'd still recommend it.

Wasn't that the story with Supergirl(Kara Zor-el) and Mary Marvel instead of Wonder Woman? I think it was Mary that gave up the life.

EDIT- Found my copy and it is SG and MM. The name of the story is "The Clubhouse of Solitude" written by Dylan Horrocks(I wouldn't want to grow up with that last name;) ) and art by Jessica Abel, one of the best stories in the collection.

Originally posted by Agent Escafarc

Wasn't that the story with Supergirl(Kara Zor-el) and Mary Marvel instead of Wonder Woman? I think it was Mary that gave up the life.

EDIT- Found my copy and it is SG and MM. The name of the story is "The Clubhouse of Solitude" written by Dylan Horrocks(I wouldn't want to grow up with that last name;) ) and art by Jessica Abel, one of the best stories in the collection.

Thanks much for filling in the blanks, I'm not at home so I couldn't check and was trying to remember.

Like many juvnelistic (not a word?) adults, I have many female characters in my campaign. But thus far I've only ever designed two all female groups.

#1 is mostly made up of normal women with some minor magic skills, and a powerful magical leader; They're called THE MATERNA. They were assembled centuries ago by a demon who collected 'difficult' women as trophies and made a harem. A being came to them and taught them the art of teleportation; for 1600 years they've been one step ahead of the demon because they can teleport away. They maintain their numbers by enlisting disenfranchised women (the abused, the homeless). Yes, they are decidedly anti-male unless forced to work with men.

#2 has never been implemented in play. They are part of a story I wrote during the years in which I was no longer roleplaying. The Story ("Rio") was about the imminent demise of the earth due to the collision with a massive astral body. Heroes lacked the power to alter the events. It turns out Brazil was ground-zero for impact (not that it matters where something this huge would hit). But Rio began to collect revlers, crazed partiers, and many criminals. As a result, the government offered inducements to heroes to come to Brasil to keep the peace. Our heroes were a team of four women: One was vaguely psychic and precognative, one was a brick, one was a fairly weak "amplifier" who pumped up other people's powers, and the leader was a martial artist/ep. The story was about the group's rise and fall, ending in a meltdown among the team members.

A decidedly P.C. individual will likely think that it was evil of me to put four women together and have them go all catty in the end. But I wanted to explore sisterhood and in the end inoke the kind of power-hunger that typically is only ascribed to men in literature, as one of the members slowly picks the group apart through internal politics.

Wonder if I still have that somehwere in my many computers...

Originally posted by Kristopher

Wouldn't getting a subscription to that mag be a dead giveaway that you're a super?

Not necessarally, if this magazine was published and sold on newstands. You would find that it would have a large readership of nonsupers. So if you were a super and subscribed to this magazine, you would just have to show that you were a fan of supers.

Tasha :)

Originally posted by Kristopher

For some reason, superheroes having fans and groupies and whatnot often doesn't occur to me until someone points it out. It makes perfect sense, though.

PS: Nice Ed avatar, Tasha.

On a tangential note, we had a PC at one time whose powers grew stronger if he had a crowd to admire him, I always thought that was a cool concept.

I've had a "Villain" team led by Lady Blue that consisted of

Blue Jay

Echo (formerly of Critical Mass)

Mindlock (gasp! Two mentalists!!!)

Black Diamond

FLower (also from CM)

Mouser (Original Character)

Howler

Icicle

and Shrinker

mostly theivery and stuff, they weren't killers had fan clubs, did a calender (with all the proceeds going to Charity!)

Occasionally would go beat up Bulldozer for fun (one at a time).

They were that interesting mix of antagonist, potential ally/love interest...

Called themselves the Angels.

A more mainstream villaness group Femme Fatals, would do all manner of criminal activity and were far less sympathetic but no less exotic

Lastly, my Valkyries team were heroines who actually happened to meet during a big battle, realized none belonged to another team and joined up. They didn't really think about the "girls only" aspect until a hero from another team made nasty comments about them in a Playboy article.

Oddly enough, the villanesses were often seen as "Bad Girl Sex Objects" and the heroines were "Lesbians", by some of the heroes.

One idea that I had but never developed past initial thoughts was an all-girl superteam based on the phenomena that was the Spice Girls. Very brash, very British, "in yer face"

Think my initial line-up was:

Dragonness

Babyface

B*tch

Iron Maiden

Seductress

On another note, if anyone has purchased Crooks for the Mutants and Mastermind game, there's an all female team in there called the Clique.

Men will flock to and fight alongside a strong, like-minded leader, I don't see this being any different with women. If you caught the Justice League episode "Fury", there's a good example of just such a group, albeit a small, focused one. It doesn't need to have the cliched "We Hate Men" as the driving force either.

As for a recreational establishment, why not consider just a regular bar/club, run by a woman, where other women can feel comfortable? I could see Cateran running a place where any guy who acts up is out the door.

A friend of mine ran a Champions campaign with 2 groups of all-female members.

W.I.T.C.H. : Which stood for Women's International Terrorist Command Hierarchy. Think an all-female Viper organization.

Flower Power: Although calling them that was a good way to make yourself a target. They REALLY hated that name. Membership consisted of:

Tiger Lily: Vicious martial artist.

Black Lotus: She was a sorceress, iirc.

Violet: Also known as Violent Violet. Brick-type.

Orange Blossom Special: Speedster in a cowgirl outfit.

Snap Dragon: Martial Brick.

Well, back in my 4th Edition days, I had an all female group who's goal was aquiring cash, and lots of it.

Denim was the Brick of the group. Very tough

Lace was the mentalist, who's powers were not normally directly harmful, but still dangerous (Mind Control, Mental Illusions).

Leather was the whip wielding weapon master of the group, what else?

Satin was the speedster.

Silk had entangles thanks to her devices, and lead the group (Had a rivalry with Binder I think)

Yes, in a fit of 80's pop nostalgic madness, I had made "The Material Girls"

:o

But I'm better now.

The Vixens

I just put together an all female team to face my Players. I used all pre-published characters from 5the ed (and one remade char from 4the edition, Rainbow Archer - now called Longbow) I won't bother posting their char sheets (as they are for sale on this site and you all should either have that version or the Paper versions. But I will List who I put into the team.

Lonbow - Leader (She's a Rival of the PC team AvantGuard's Leader Recurve, so I thought that would make it personal)

Cateran (CKC)

Photon (CKC)

Icicle (Champions)

Howler (CKC)

Talisman (Champions)

Esper - I used a personal re-make of her 4the ed version, as I wasn't too impressed with the 5th ed version.

And here they are...

Vixens.jpg

I used the 5the ed pics for all 5th ed char, (except Cateran, I used her CNM Pic for her) the 4the ed pic for Esper, and a hijacked Pic of DC's Artimis for Longbow)

WC

Re: The Vixens

Originally posted by Wildcat

I used the 5the ed pics for all 5th ed char, (except Cateran, I used her CNM Pic for her) the 4the ed pic for Esper, and a hijacked Pic of DC's Artimis for Longbow)

Nice going Wildcat in the arangement.

I like the Cateran picture from CKC a bit better, but the CNM makes more sense.

Somehow, I don't see the group staying together at least from what I recall from the various backgrounds of the characters.

Re: Re: The Vixens

Originally posted by lemming

Somehow, I don't see the group staying together at least from what I recall from the various backgrounds of the characters.

Me either. In fact ran their debute on Sat, and they won't be staying together, well not all of them. Here's the story:

Longbow (Rainbo Archer) was a member of my newly formed Crusher Gang (Powercrusher, Pulsar, Armidillo, Wyvren[4th] Dark Rider [home made] & Eclipse [home made]) and they were calling out AvantGuard to chalenge them for the right to plunder LA. Longbow had other Ideas. Hating Powercursher, she formed her own all women team - The Vixens. and was going to doubble cross Powercrusher in the middel of the fight once 1/2 of AvantGuard was down. But Avantguard was a bit too sturdy for that and the Crusher Gang was taking it in the shorts by phase 6, so she called in her girls to thump the good guys. Not as many of the Crusher Gang were as 'down & out' as she thought, and her girls didn't fair as well either. Longbow was KOed, Photon grabbed her and using a powerstunt she T-ported them both to safty. Cateran (who had been battling Powercrusher most of the time) finisher off him, and then asked if she could go, (the heroes agreed, thinking they'd catcher her another day) and on the way out picked up the just re-awaking Howler then calmly walked out. In the end AvantGuard had only 2 of their team (7+1 guest star) who hadn't been KOed at one time, and had defeated a combined onslaught of 13 villians and won (granted the Vixens did take on a few of the Crusher Gang) and captured 8 of them (Armidillo escaped by tunneling through the floor underneathe the Ice entangel Icicle had put him in)

Over all a very enjoyable battle for my gammign group, we all had a really good time, and the Vixens (not the same line up) WILL be Back!!

WC

Re: Re: The Vixens

Originally posted by lemming

I like the Cateran picture from CKC a bit better, but the CNM makes more sense.

I liked the CKC Pic a bit better too, but the costume from the CNM, and that pose just got me somehow, and I had to use it. (and it's damn hard to color in Tartan to look right)

WC